Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Ready Rifle PCC - which model? 5.5” w/ shroud vs 14.5” pinned

Good Afternoon!

Looking to buy a JP Ready Rifle PCC from Ben Stoeger pro shop. Trying to decide on the model I want. Any feedback is appreciated. I will leave links to the two models below. 

https://benstoegerproshop.com/jp-rifles-gmr-15-9mm-competition-pcc-carbine/

$1699 - 
JP Rifles GMR-15™ 9mm Competition PCC Carbine

This model has 14.5” pinned and welded barrel. Basic JP internals. Basic hogue stock.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/jp-rifles-gmr-15-9mm-custom-competition-pcc-carbine/

$1989 -

JP Rifles GMR-15™ 9mm Custom Competition PCC Carbine

This model has a 5.5” barrel with 16” aluminum shroud. This is the lightweight barrel. Upgraded internals. Raptor charging handle. UBR stock. Maybe a little better trigger. 

———————————

A couple concerns I have are:

accuracy of the different barrels

weight difference and how that will affect recoil and shooting stages.

i will be putting a Trijicon MRO on top if that makes a difference.

just trying to get advice on the price difference, seems like the custom model is a bit more upgraded but I don’t know enough about it to tell how big of a difference the upgrades will make in shooting. 

Thanks for your input!

-SS

All depends what is the  main purpose. If you are looking for Steel Challenge, 5.5" barrel is the way to go. If you will use it for USPSA / IDPA, I do recommend 14.5"  . You can also review JP  site for ready rifles or order it in rifle builder section. I ordered mine to JP and get it in less of 2 months 

54 minutes ago, MaX_1 said:

All depends what is the  main purpose. If you are looking for Steel Challenge, 5.5" barrel is the way to go. If you will use it for USPSA / IDPA, I do recommend 14.5"  . You can also review JP  site for ready rifles or order it in rifle builder section. I ordered mine to JP and get it in less of 2 months 

great. Thanks for the info! Will mainly be using for USPSA!

I got the 14.5” pinned and welded from BSPS back in September just before nationals. It ran great at the match and has been extremely reliable since then. The JP is much heavier than the MPX I ran previously, but reliability is king.

No experience with the 5.5” but my MPX did have a short barrel with extension. That setup balanced really well and transitioned fast. I’d imagine the same would be true for the JP 5.5”.

17 hours ago, Stephen7942 said:

Good Afternoon!

Looking to buy a JP Ready Rifle PCC from Ben Stoeger pro shop. Trying to decide on the model I want. Any feedback is appreciated. I will leave links to the two models below. 

https://benstoegerproshop.com/jp-rifles-gmr-15-9mm-competition-pcc-carbine/

$1699 - 
JP Rifles GMR-15™ 9mm Competition PCC Carbine

This model has 14.5” pinned and welded barrel. Basic JP internals. Basic hogue stock.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/jp-rifles-gmr-15-9mm-custom-competition-pcc-carbine/

$1989 -

JP Rifles GMR-15™ 9mm Custom Competition PCC Carbine

This model has a 5.5” barrel with 16” aluminum shroud. This is the lightweight barrel. Upgraded internals. Raptor charging handle. UBR stock. Maybe a little better trigger. 

———————————

A couple concerns I have are:

accuracy of the different barrels

weight difference and how that will affect recoil and shooting stages.

i will be putting a Trijicon MRO on top if that makes a difference.

just trying to get advice on the price difference, seems like the custom model is a bit more upgraded but I don’t know enough about it to tell how big of a difference the upgrades will make in shooting. 

Thanks for your input!

-SS

The 14.5" is a pin and weld and the 5.5" is a build one of the sales guys (that is also deep in PCC) dreamed up for his perfect JP.
The biggest differences are going to be the 5 Stainless short stroke on the 5.5", the UBR stock and the Raptor Charging handle. If you like the UBR stock, which I do, and want a lighter front end go with the 5.5". 

If you want a lighter stock and the 14.5" pin/weld barrel, you can upgrade with SCS buffer with the Short Stroke conversion kit from BSPS and swap the charging handle if you don't like the Badger. Really you only use it at make ready and unload and show clear so it's one of the least used parts on a JP PCC anyway. The triggers will feel pretty much identical, the barrels will both shoot well and most importantly the guns will both run 100% reliable. 

If you're going with USPSA, you might also consider adding a Taylor Freelance Magwell and some TF Basepads to your order. Feel free to message me with questions but bottom line is I'd definitely run either rifle at any PCC competition (USPSA, SCSA or Outlaw) and feel confident. 

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer the ULW 5.5” barrel. I never ran a 14.5 but I started PCC running a 16” JP barrel. For USPSA matches I’m staying with the 5.5”. I believe you should choose your barrel based on what load you plan on running. If you run heavy slow 147/135 bullets I’d recommend the 5.5” barrel. If you run 90/115 fast I’d recommend a 10” + barrel. 

This is mine.  https://www.leadstararms.com/prime-pcc-black-stainless-barrel/  I chose it over the JP because it is lighter and comes with all the race ready parts you need.  It runs like a top.  You can buy it with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel to save 3 oz. and a carbon fiber hand guard to save another 3 oz.  Call Donnie at Stagezeroshooting Supply for more info.

Regarding barrel length, it really depends on what you shoot and what feels good.  I ordered mine with the 16" SS barrel for no other reason than I couldn't order one without the barrel.  I'm a fan of Wiland USA barrels.  I put one of them on my RFRO gun and the lack of weigh out front made it transition like lightning.  I am ordering one of their 9mm LLW barrels for my PCC for the same reason.  If you shoot Steel Challenge, transition speed is super important.  It really helps in USPSA as well.  For 3-gun it is a toss up.  If you plan to take 100 yard shots with the PCC rather than the AR, then go with the 16" length.

An advantage to having a 5.5" barrel with shroud is you get pistol velocities with your loads.  Recoil is greatly reduced (along with dot bounce), because you are not adding the 200 fps a 16" barrel will yield with the same load.

My recommendations are as follows:  for SCSA, either an SBR or a 5.5" with shroud.  For USPSA, definitely an SBR unless you don't want to get the stamp, the 5.5" with shroud.  For 3-gun long shots, a 16".  If you shoot all three, both barrels.

I got the 14.5" model. Ran it in my first ever PCC match today and it was a blast. Gun ran great!! I zero'd at 15 yards and that seemed perfect for the type of stage we shoot at our range. Thanks for all the advice and input in this thread.  I ran it with TTI +10 extensions and the were great as well!

15 hours ago, Stephen7942 said:

I got the 14.5" model. Ran it in my first ever PCC match today and it was a blast. Gun ran great!! I zero'd at 15 yards and that seemed perfect for the type of stage we shoot at our range. Thanks for all the advice and input in this thread.  I ran it with TTI +10 extensions and the were great as well!

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it but please remember we need pictures to complete the saga 😏

17 hours ago, Stephen7942 said:

What size group did you get with the 14.5" barrel?

• 4 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, Tampa-XD45 said:

What size group did you get with the 14.5" barrel?

Didn't measure the group. I have run this in 3-4 matches so far this year and love it. I've always been a better rifle shooter than pistol. This gun is a blast. Will be a while before I shoot production or CO again ha!

On 2/5/2020 at 9:06 PM, MaX_1 said:

Well said.