Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith TRR8

Sanzo

I keep having problems with my barrels coming loose (I have two of these guns)   they've been back to smith, tightened, and are good for a few thousand rounds, then once again, the barrel nut comes loose and the barrel and shroud start wiggling.   

Anybody have similar issues? resolutions? etc?

2 minutes ago, Sanzo said:

on the phone with smith now.   send it back or try Alec's method first?    I want to shoot these at Revolver nations, but I'm getting "gun shy" and might take my 929 instead.

All they are likely to do at the factory is tighten up with that wrench and send it back to you anyhow.

Spend the money and have the wrench on hand incase it becomes a problem again in the future. Try blue loctite first , if that doesnt work move on to RED loctite

19 hours ago, Sanzo said:

I do have the filler screws in it.  down to the barrel and then backed out 1/2 turn, and I used loctite on them.

So it sounds like your not using the setscrews then.

If you decide to go the barrel wrench route you might want to include a shim in your kit for barrel spacing off the cylinder face.

And for a little history, I converted a 327 by installing a 38 super cylinder and could never get the barrel cylinder gap set correctly

without starting with the setscrews.

I red loctited the barrel/frame threads, set the cylinder gap, slid the shroud on, red loctited the barrel end nut & snugged it, tignened

up a bunch of the setscrews, then tightened the barrel nut. Then I loosened the setscrews, re-checked the barrel nut tightness and

just for the belt and suspenders fix, I re-tightened the setscrews (all 7-8 of them ??)

This has held up for a year or so now.

And red loctite isn't that bad as long as you remember to heat up the parts before disassembling.

Don't know if the Dan Wesson folks had this much trouble with their switch barrel kits.

15 hours ago, mchapman said:

Sanzo, you coming down this weekend?

not this weekend.   Everytime I go down to your range, the baby pukes all over momma, got a lot of crap last month over it.....   however I'll be down for the MMRC match. just haven't signed up yet.   see if I can get Sara to shoot her bottom feeder 😉

Edited by Sanzo

10mmdave.    Thanks for the advice on that.   I havent gone nearly that far down the path with it.   thought the screws were just "fillers" so you didnt get dirt in the holes.   I will follow your instructions.   thank you all for the advice.   soon as the barrel wrench arrives, I'll give an update on how well this went.

Barrel nut wrench arrived yesterday.  set my cylinder gap at .004 and tightened everything up per 10mmdave's instructions.   if I can sneak away from work today I'll give it some test shots and see if it holds up.   feels very solid.   set screws.....   not plus to keep the holes in the shroud clean.....  got it.    does it say that anywhere?

I have followed this thread with interest.  After looking at S&W's forum this is a common problem.  Have you actually measured the threads on the barrel?  If they're too small from the factory, they will probably never work right.  Probably not the problem, but I would think S&W would replace parts that are incorrect.  Or, more likely, the threads on the shroud nut are bottoming before the shroud is gripped well.  I would probably turn a short area behind the muzzle threads on the barrel to the minor diameter so the muzzle nut could tighten down further.    Also, I suppose you could have a machinist drill the frame and pin the barrel (like the old smith revos).   

Edited by pyrrhic3gun

1 hour ago, Sanzo said:

I have an RMA open with them for one of them, but wanted to try the barrel wrench first.    The CS rep at Smith suggested I put all the factory parts back in the gun "just in case"

Correct,

Do not send a gun into smith with any aftermarket parts in it. Convert everything back to " stock " before sending it in.

One more try before sending it back.... I popped the barrel shroud off again cleaned inside everything and then looked at some details. One thing I noticed is that the while the silver screws reach down to the barrel, the black screws to mount the rails don’t even reach the inside of the shroud. 

I repeated the process without the screws. Seems like the barrel and shroud is firmer, the barrel to cylinder gap increased from .003 to .006. Will let the Loctite set overnight, going to chrono some rounds with 357454 tomorrow and will put some rounds through it and see if it holds up.