Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has going from a G34 to a G35 in limited been worth it?

BryceA

I'm currently running a G34 in limited and was thinking of trying out a major PF gun. I am very happy with Glock as a platform so a G35 seems like a natural consideration, and it turns out they're pretty cheap compared to the alternatives. My question is whether it's worth it: I'd need the gun, a few mags, and the extra bits needed to reload 40. Clearly that will be subjective, but I'm interested in what others think.

Its will vary based on YOUR accuracy and speed.  You loose about 3 rds per mag going to 40 and of course the recoil impulse change.  If you shoot all alphas as faster than the guy who shoots A/Cs more at the same speed you win.  If you shoot slower you loose, if you A/C and he shoots A/C he wins unless you completely blister his time but the general consensus is that Major PF is the better option. 

Part of the reason I'm interested in Major PF is the increase in recoil: my 9mm gamer loads are so soft shooting I have to relearn how to manage full power loads every time I practice with my edc. :) I was hoping .40 gamer loads would put my roughly on par recoil wise with a 147 HST, but that is an experiment I need to do.

6 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Shooting major is always better. No one in contention to win purposely shoots minor at major matches.

People can argue Capacity/recoil/splits/whatever all they want. Data from matches show Major is ALWAYS better.

This 

Depends how you would determine "worth it" to you 😉. Do you care about being competitive at matches or plan on shooting any major matches? If so then I'd say it's worth it. It's a significant scoring advantage.

I don't think I've ever compared back to back, but I think my .40 major pf reloads are still softer than 9mm HST in a smaller carry gun 😀

2 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

Do you care about being competitive at matches or plan on shooting any major matches?

Will a G35 get you to this level, anyway? I see few people shooting G35's in limited where the 2011's dominate. I know it can be done, but is it done by non-Bob Vogel types?

3 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

I think my .40 major pf reloads are still softer than 9mm HST in a smaller carry gun

Are you shooting these .40 majors out of a G35 (or G22)?

If I were to guess I'd say you'll gain 5% in the overall standings switching to major. Depends on how you shoot but gives you a idea of what we're talking about.  No doubt you will do better once you're used to it. People will say just be more accurate at the same speed or faster and you'll win with minor. In the real world if we could be faster and more accurate at the same time we would already be doing it. And even then, Major will still allow you to score more points per second.

The only division major major isn't potentially better is Revolver.

Major is a 5-10% boost depending on the match and your shooting style. 

I’ve shot Limited minor for years now cause I shoot for fun and training. I just bought a 40 cal edge this past week to finally give myself an edge. 

I knew I wouldn’t shoot uspsa if it required that I shoot 40 ( I hate 40), so I shot what I had and what I enjoyed. Now I want that dang M card and it’s been hell trying to get it with minor. 

15 minutes ago, BryceA said:

Will a G35 get you to this level, anyway? I see few people shooting G35's in limited where the 2011's dominate. I know it can be done, but is it done by non-Bob Vogel types?

Are you shooting these .40 majors out of a G35 (or G22)?

Yeah Coley won Limited Nationals a few years ago with a Glock. But I think anyone can be competitive with one. I don't feel like it's the gun that's holding me back. Now if I were shooting minor that definitely holds anyone back in limited.

I used to shoot a 35, but have a 24 now. If you can find a 24 I'd definitely consider that. 35 is good too though, not a huge difference between them.

Since I'm a nerd I ran some numbers before. Most people will be gaining around 5% from major vs. minor, more if you shoot a lot of Cs.

2011's dominate for a reason. As you dont have a 35,, I say look for a budget 2011, Para, SPS, RIA, good deal on an STI eagle or edge. Learn to do a 1911 trigger job call it good.
First of all NOONE will EVER shoot minor better than they can shoot major after a bit of practice and grip work.
However, If you are wanting to move from shooting against yourself, and watching your percents improve, which you can do with your current platform, to shooting against others and seeing your match placement rise,,, skip the G35 step.

If you are a remotely competitive person get the 35.  major is always better, a 2011 *might* be better.  I am never winning an area match, cause i don't practice enough, however i do beat lots of people in my class and i am using a plastic gun vs their 2011s.  Might i beat them more or even jump a class with a 2011, maybe, but i would definitely lose to them shooting minor.  

I've been using the G35 for everything from 3Gun to Limited Major. Currently it has a frame weight and Vanek trigger, its recoil is mild now and I don't have to worry about leaving the safety off in matches. They are great all around plastic guns.

Shot a section championship back in September, and shot Limited minor. I didn’t have a major caliber pistol at the time and I had been doing ok locally shooting minor. I shot a solid match....tons of points, but a little off the pace because I really needed the points shooting minor. I ended up 7th. I went back and did the math. If I had shot the same times, and the same hits, but scored major I could have finished second. I could have been a little more aggressive with my shooting which may have improved my scores too. I’ve since built up a Glock 35 complete with a brass mag well and a frame weight. The thing shoots great with Winchester white box 165gr, so I imagine once I get some match ammo loaded it will really shoot nicely.

Yep. At the last club match I went to, second place Limited  was shooting a custom 2011 in 9mm. I was shooting my Para in .40. Second place beat me by 8 seconds in the match, and out hits were roughly the same. 

After we finished our last stage, practiscore showed I was ahead by 20 or so points in our squad. Whenever the tablets from the other squads got synced together, the second place shooter got switched to Major, putting him 20 points ahead of me in Limited. I asked the match director what had happened and he corrected the PF. Second place dropped from 4th to 9th in the overall when the scores were corrected, and I won Limited.