Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder left when changing the hopper?

gerritm

Changed my powder hopper assembly the other day from my minor 9mm loads, Titegroup to major 9mm HS6. Got busy cleaning the HS6 hopper/parts and before installing it and don't remember emptying the remaining Titegroup from lower die portion that the case activates still in the toolhead. Have never done a change this way before as I had a complete toolhead for 38super. New major gun is 9mm.

Put the HS6 in the hopper and ran about 5 or 6 drops into the case to get correct weight. Easily if it was Titegroup would have been a double charge 7.5grs. Ran about 20 rounds for testing. 

So my question is after removing the hopper assembly from the lower die portion, how much Titegroup remained in the lower portion?

Out of an abundance of caution I did pull & throw out the powder from the 20 cases and reload them correctly.

For the future I will set up another toolhead for major 9mm to avoid any issues like this.

gerritm

I generally cycle the powder drop over the powder container about four times, each time there is powder through the drop.
Ditto, the 4th time may have very little but usually some. Run your own test.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So I swapped back to the Titegroup hopper assembly and checked. Without the hopper assembly on the die I pushed up on the powder funnel and there was next to nothing left in the die. Maybe one drop or less.

Did set back up my separate tool head for major. 

gerritm