Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 10 round magazines

Gregg K

After getting a couple of the clear factory magazines to go with all my regular black ones I found that I really like to be able to just look at them and know that they are fully loaded. I decided to drill some 10th round witness holes in the black mags. Too bad they don't come with them like a lot of magazines.

Mag.jpg

2 hours ago, ZackJones said:

How did you figure out where to drill the hole? I’d like to do that to mine.

Look at a clear mag and note the location.  If you don't have access to one, there is an empty space before the tenth round.    You can almost get an 11th round in, but the rotor is stopped just shy of allowing that.  Failing that, look at the picture in the first post.  You can get a great idea of the location from that.

6 hours ago, ZackJones said:

How did you figure out where to drill the hole? I’d like to do that to mine.

Looking at the clear ones I saw that I could use the notches on the side as a reference and drew 2 lines. you can see from where the lines intersect that you need to move a little to the center to get to the middle of where I drilled the hole. The first one I drilled a real small hole first and looked where it came out on the other side of the end plate and then adjusted a little before drilling the final size. I setup a little jig in my drill press so now I just drop in the plate line it up, tighten down the vice and drill. No more measuring or messing around. The next 11 went fast, just had to get it right on the first one for the setup. I drilled the hole the same size as the one for the feed lips.

Mag.jpg

Been doing this for year or two.... my original inspiration came from these but do not know who to credit though it was a post on these forums ... they drilled for all 10 rds to be indicated but as a SCSA shooter I only cared if it was fully loaded hence like you one hole... also the gold marks are reference points I use when cleaning and re -tensioning mags and I agree shame Ruger can not add it when manufactured.46443447_2274198532824575_1928673167555952640_o.thumb.jpg.bad037fae8678f97ada1eeb7ec80e13b.jpg

full mag indicator hole.jpg

I knew that it was impossible that I was the only one that wanted to do this but with a search on this forum and google I didn't turn up anything so I figured I would post something for the next guy. I found one post where someone asked the question and another said he would email him the details (gee, thanks for sharing dude).  Now we also have a picture for others to go by if they want to count every round. I just wanted to protect myself from mixing in a short loaded mag when shooting steel. I'm pretty good about keeping the used ones separated but a little extra help can't hurt.

7 hours ago, xpierrat said:

Been doing this for year or two.... my original inspiration came from these but do not know who to credit though it was a post on these forums ... they drilled for all 10 rds to be indicated but as a SCSA shooter I only cared if it was fully loaded hence like you one hole... also the gold marks are reference points I use when cleaning and re -tensioning mags and I agree shame Ruger can not add it when

The gold mark is GREAT idea also...This is where I will start until I can get all of my 18 - 10rd mags drilled.....Thanks for sharing...

No problem and Greg a renewed post every now and then is a very good thing...………..( sometimes I think the word search must mean something else by those writing code  LOL)  because we are always getting new members who can benefit from it  also here is some more info on the 10 hole model...

46420901_2274198489491246_7548571903674286080_n.jpg

Edited by xpierrat
added drawing

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 10:33 AM, xpierrat said:

Been doing this for year or two.... my original inspiration came from these but do not know who to credit though it was a post on these forums ... they drilled for all 10 rds to be indicated but as a SCSA shooter I only cared if it was fully loaded hence like you one hole... also the gold marks are reference points I use when cleaning and re -tensioning mags and I agree shame Ruger can not add it when manufactured.

Where did you get that purple expansion piece?

It looks pretty handy.

49 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

It looks pretty handy.

That is a base pad that Kurt Grimes makes. If you are on Facebook you can contact him through his page. 

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

It looks pretty handy.

As nso123 said Kurt Grimes... they are a bit pricy but you get what you pay for and they are very very nice... TK has some out of plastic that are very functional but of course no Bling..... but price is much better.  I have seen a few others types out there also of plastic

DIY mag extensions... from the STC days... a piece of 1" hardwood (I use black walnut) cut to fit inside the depression and attached with epoxy works to help securely seat the mag

I don't recommend a back to back coupling... dropped one and reloaded the partially used mag

Edited by Les Snyder