Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help knocking burrs off outside of 9mm cases during resizing

Hey guys, so iv posted a couple times about having problems with my coated bullets and I finally realized it was because there was still a burr on the rim of my case. I thought this was from wet tumbling for too long, but after going through another bucket of brass, it’s on all of my brass wether I wet or dry tumble.

Someone on here said that the resizing process should be taking this burr off the cases, but after taking a look at my resizing process my lee die is not taking the burr off of my cases during resizing. Yes the die is all the down to the shell plate plus a little bit. Yes I’ve checked that multiple times.

So, besides that what else could be my problem, and should I get a different die set to try and fix that? Are there any dies that do this job better than others? Iv never seen anyone talk about this before so I’m not sure if anyone has anything to help me with on this.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think that the sizing die wouldnt touch the inside burr. The funnel should bell the case and knock that back.

Sorry, it’s the burr on the outside of the case, not the inside. Basically, the burr on the outside doesn’t allow me to put as much crimp as I need onto the case without damaging the bullet.

What crimp die are you using?

Hornady taper crimp. I also have a lee taper crimp die somewhere, but I remember having problems with that die and that’s why I switched to the Hornady, but I don’t remember what that problem was. Maybe I should try that die again?

1 minute ago, m700 said:

Hmm I dont know that I've ever seen a burr on a pistol case that would effect a crimp

same here. I have all but crushed the edge on a few cases over the years and my LEE sizer took almost all of it out. My LEE and EGW Udies smooth all the rough edges off so something must be amiss in the adjustment. Is the die adjusted all the way down to just kissing the shell plate? It should be, no matter what the instructions say about backing it off slightly.

same here. I have all but crushed the edge on a few cases over the years and my LEE sizer took almost all of it out. My LEE and EGW Udies smooth all the rough edges off so something must be amiss in the adjustment. Is the die adjusted all the way down to just kissing the shell plate? It should be, no matter what the instructions say about backing it off slightly.

It is adjusted slightly further down than touching the shell plate to completely size and get the “Glock bulge” out of the range 9mm, so there is a slight cam over affect with the press.

It is not an undersized die, just a regular lee die. Will I have better luck with the undersized die? Will that affect me using .357” coated bullets in anyway?

Hmm I dont know that I've ever seen a burr on a pistol case that would effect a crimp

Ya, even after crimping there is a slight edge on the case that causes the round to not pass the case gauge 100% of the time, and not pass plunk test about 10-15% of the time, sometimes more. So I deburred some of my cases (again, thought it was a big batch of brass that was wet tumbled for 3+ hours that were the only effected cases) and that brought my failure rate down to 1%, telling me that the burr on the case was the problem.

I could get the cases to pass the plunk test by increasing the crimp, but it would get to the point where it was putting a very large indent into the bullet to the point where i knew it would mess up the bullet.

I would try increasing the crimp by 1/4 turn then test, then another 1/4 and test and on and on. You shouldn't have to press a grove in to the side of the bullets to be able to slightly round out the edge of the case. 

I would try increasing the crimp by 1/4 turn then test, then another 1/4 and test and on and on. You shouldn't have to press a grove in to the side of the bullets to be able to slightly round out the edge of the case. 

I’m assuming that’ll put me back into the too much crimp zone, but I’ll try that and the other lee crimp die if I can find it tonight and see what happens with it. Thanks Matt

17 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

It is adjusted slightly further down than touching the shell plate to completely size and get the “Glock bulge” out of the range 9mm, so there is a slight cam over affect with the press.

It is not an undersized die, just a regular lee die. Will I have better luck with the undersized die? Will that affect me using .357” coated bullets in anyway?

Shouldn't need a Udie for those fat bullets. :)

Shouldn't need a Udie for those fat bullets. [emoji4]

I haven’t had any problems with my cases being sized incorrectly except for the burr on the lip. I just meant if you thought that would help with my problem I would try one as long as it wouldn’t end up causing me more problems in the end

3 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I haven’t had any problems with my cases being sized incorrectly except for the burr on the lip. I just meant if you thought that would help with my problem I would try one as long as it wouldn’t end up causing me more problems in the end

It do not believe it would help

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Thanks Sarge, appreciate the input. You think I’m better off tweaking my crimp die?

I would try it. Remember sometimes the absolute smallest adjustments can make a huge difference in reloading

1 hour ago, MadBomber said:

Sounds like you don't have enough crimp.  Brass indenting the bullet shouldn't have much effect in the practical shooting world.

First many of us find this to be untrue, especially with coated and plated bullets. Tumbling often happens as a result of indented bullets.

Second the OP doesn’t mention which dies and powder funnel are being used. I found the Lee Sizing and taper crimp dies pretty much smooth it all out. Many of us use the MBF powder funnel, but that won’t work with the Lee powder drop. Maybe use the NOE expander prior to the powder drop? I’ve had good luck with it in the past. 

For 9 mm I found the Dillon taper crimp die gives me the smoothest taper crimp possible.  

Keep posting your progress. 

Can you post some pictures of the problem?

It would be kind of hard to get a picture of. The burr is small, but can be felt with your finger. I will try to get some pictures of how I can’t get enough crimp without deforming the bullet though