Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open belt setup for shotgun mag carriers

I use a custom made kydex on an ELS on back of belt. Usually place a full 12 of bird in that mag and use dissident hooks on 10,12 or 20's off each side or front of belt. The hanging hooks seem to be the fastest to on reloads. The 12 on back is usually reserved for emergencies or oops.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:50 AM, donno said:

I use a custom made kydex on an ELS on back of belt. Usually place a full 12 of bird in that mag and use dissident hooks on 10,12 or 20's off each side or front of belt. The hanging hooks seem to be the fastest to on reloads. The 12 on back is usually reserved for emergencies or oops.

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

A few local open shooters are trimming/filing down the tabs on the els forks and attaching them to mags with sheet metal brackets and duct tape. It looks a little crude but is very functional. There is enough retention where I have not seen anyone lose a mag on physical stages, yet pulls easy enough for quick reloads. Added plus is not having to rearrange els backers on the belt if pistol or rifle mags are needed instead.

20 hours ago, ABarrow said:

A few local open shooters are trimming/filing down the tabs on the els forks and attaching them to mags with sheet metal brackets and duct tape. It looks a little crude but is very functional. There is enough retention where I have not seen anyone lose a mag on physical stages, yet pulls easy enough for quick reloads. Added plus is not having to rearrange els backers on the belt if pistol or rifle mags are needed instead.

Interesting; I saw some people have actually attached the ELS directly to the mags as well.  I was thinking that would be the way to go given all the clips I have on my belt but of course attachment sounds like the tricky part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I shoot right handed. If I carry on my left side I carry mags with brass front. I want to grab mag with left hand, pull straight up and turn left hand fingers rear to fingers front and slam mag in place.

29 minutes ago, donno said:

I shoot right handed. If I carry on my left side I carry mags with brass front. I want to grab mag with left hand, pull straight up and turn left hand fingers rear to fingers front and slam mag in place.

Thanks for the info, followup, did you place the hook in the middle of the magazine vertically or does most of the mag hang below your belt?

1 hour ago, Gunner_Freeman said:

Thanks for the info, followup, did you place the hook in the middle of the magazine vertically or does most of the mag hang below your belt?

If I can interject, I think this depends on mag length. I tried to set my long mags up so I grab in the same place as short mags. That way I can basically have the same feel for sending the mag home no matter what. 

52 minutes ago, teddym90 said:

If I can interject, I think this depends on mag length. I tried to set my long mags up so I grab in the same place as short mags. That way I can basically have the same feel for sending the mag home no matter what. 

I understand what you are saying, about where on the magazine do you grab, right at the hanger, or above it as it hangs on your belt, also where is the hanger on the magazine you use to make your first reload?

I grab just below the belt for a 20 or 12 rounders. I have the clip located on the mag about 1/3 from bottom so at least I have over half of mag below bottom of hand when inserting. Not a big deal on the 12 but on the 20's it helps with balance.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:46 PM, Gunner_Freeman said:

I understand what you are saying, about where on the magazine do you grab, right at the hanger, or above it as it hangs on your belt, also where is the hanger on the magazine you use to make your first reload?

Sorry for the delay, I don't know how most of a whole week got away from me!  I'm grabbing basically right at the hanger.  On the short mags this is about 1/8 the way from the bottom.  On the long mags this is about the middle of the mag.  

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2020 at 8:10 PM, donno said:

I grab just below the belt for a 20 or 12 rounders. I have the clip located on the mag about 1/3 from bottom so at least I have over half of mag below bottom of hand when inserting. Not a big deal on the 12 but on the 20's it helps with balance.

Exactly this. I simply reach slightly lower when I grab my 20. 

I haven't had an issue with clips so far. I put a cross draw holster in the front for occasional unloaded starts. 

• 6 months later...

Be cautious when hanging longer shotty mags on the front of your belt.  Works well unless you have to really get after it and run.  Then the mag, well, kinda hits you in a spot that does not help your time.  Ha ha.  

• 5 months later...

Question for those of you who have attached ELS clips directly to a magazine, how has that worked and do you have any tips? I got a few magazines so that I would have some to play with and modify. I have one magazine that I attached an ELS fork to directly but am getting SLIGHT interference on the inside with the magazine spring and I am worried that it will fail at the exact wrong time...any tips would be appreciated. I would love the idea of getting this to work but as a backup I will try the magazine pouches from FSTactical or the Dissident clips they sell. Thanks!

I’ve used the kydex hooks that are same size as the ELS with double sided gorilla tape. Not too many issues but have lost a mag before. Mostly the 12 o’clock horizontal mag. Also have lost the whole belt on an all SG stage when I didn’t add an extra keeper

Edited by ziebart

@ziebart I lost a belt a few years ago at MN Tri Gun on a stage..I was using a Safariland belt and I had previously thought that the velcro wasn't as good as it should have been or maybe that was due to the number of attachment holes on the belt. I ended up using a DAA belt that I drilled individual holes for where I wanted ELS mounts. It was ridiculous and isn't very adaptive but it seems to hold a lot better especially on long stages with 50 shells on my belt. 

Anyways, good tip and thank you! 

On 5/10/2021 at 1:36 PM, tfinnerr said:

Question for those of you who have attached ELS clips directly to a magazine, how has that worked and do you have any tips? I got a few magazines so that I would have some to play with and modify. I have one magazine that I attached an ELS fork to directly but am getting SLIGHT interference on the inside with the magazine spring and I am worried that it will fail at the exact wrong time...any tips would be appreciated. I would love the idea of getting this to work but as a backup I will try the magazine pouches from FSTactical or the Dissident clips they sell. Thanks!

PM me-i can share the steps.

IMG_2602.jpeg