Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting cart vs wagon

tke37617

Depends on the terrain of the ranges you shoot at.  I use a metal cart with inflatable tires.  Used to use one of the fold up carts with solid wheels until it sheared a wheel off at the hollow tube frame.  Wouldn't hold up to the rocky terrain with the weight of gear in it.

I use a 3 wheel aluminum jogging stroller, with pneumatic tires. Good on all terrain, also has hand brake where you push it from. I think I paid $5 from volunteers. It also folds, and I can sit on the front when needed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I converted a 3 wheeled baby jogger into a 3 gun cart, similar to the Rugged Gear, for half the cost. A used jogger can be found for next to nothing on Craigslist. If you shoot 3 gun or PCC, add some ATV long gun clamps, if not, skip them. Big tires go over any terrain. I carry my shooting bag, cooler, tools, Ryobi fan, umbrella.

26 minutes ago, tke37617 said:

I should have mentioned the terrain is pretty rough at some places.  I shoot in East Tennessee and Virginia mostly.  Many of our ranges have rocks and gullies to navigate.

Then I'd skip any of the cloth foldup carts like they sell at Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight with the hard plastic wheels and hollow tube frames.

I have a few of the folding wagons and a Rugged Gear cart.  They each have their place.  The wagon probably holds more but the RG cart is easier to push than it is to pull thr wagons.  The RG takes up more space so it doesn't fit in my smaller car.  Bad of the RG cart, won't fit a typical range bag,  Solved that problem by using a narrow backpack.

I'm a go on the Rugged Gear cart. I got it for Three gun 6 years ago, maybe longer, but use it for USPSA only no. I have the tubeless wheels, never a flat! Have had three shooters bags on it, the cart doesn't care. It is showing it's age now, but still working. I've used it all over Area 1, haven't seen any big rocks, but lots of sand, mud, and snow. 

Carts you push, wagons you pull.

Generally wagons hold more but tend to roll away when parked wrong and the wheels are not blocked.

I'm seeing more hand trucks (like but not CED) being used as well.

I've seen some really innovative ideas with all 3.

I've done bags, backpacks, pull behind carts, and jogging strollers. For me I hated the dead weight with a cart and my shoulders got tired and sore with a bag or pack. Jogging stroller with big wheels was the easiest on me. Plenty of space for multiple shooters and if you shoot 3gun you can add ATV gun racks for your long guns.

1 hour ago, SSGGlock said:

Save all the heartache and just buy the DAA cart.

Funny you say that, it's the road I went down and it works for me.  https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/rangecart-pro

I'm one of those that prefers the larger Shooters Connection range bags (yep, it's heavy when filled up), which has the large side pouch for magazines that flips down, which is where I also keep mag mop/brush.  After shooting I go back, flip the pouch down and start cleaning and rearranging mags.  I thought about using a "wagon" type of cart but I'd have to build a raised platform to raise the bag up or lift it out to work on my mags so I went the range cart route.  I did add a PVC shelf at the bottom of the range cart so the SC bag would actually fit/sit better since the cart is designed for a back-pack, which are not as deep.   The tires have been frustrating (hold air or not hold air, that is the question) but I seemed to have worked that out finally with the help of DAA.  I don't shoot any multi-gun so a jogging cart was never in the thought process.

I got a cheapo foldable cart for Christmas and it’s pretty sweet. Does the job and I can throw it in my trunk after the match. 

BUT anyone in the Area 8 area may have seen this guy from NY who put a little engine on this scooter thing. He uses that as his cart and just drives it from bay to bay! Pretty slick 

If I've driven to the match I use a Creedmore Sports shooting stool with the Ray-Vin cart attachments. I really like the big solid wheels.

If I ridden then it's just a Shooter's Connection zippered inner bag (Item SC-420) because it fits conveniently in the motorcycle luggage. I can get two guns, 500 rds, a timer, spare parts kit, muffs, and eight mags in that little bag. It's my workhorse.

The stool has a small beach umbrella on it and mostly carries snacks and water. I'll be mounting a long selfie stick to hold a go-pro to it soon too.

https://imgur.com/a/50L5MmE

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I'd go on your local Craigslist and search for "wagon" "cart" "baby jogger" and you'll inevitably come up with something ultra cheap that can be modified in to something ideal for what you need.  

i remember one guy saying he was telling the lady seller what he was using the cart for and she had an absolute hissy fit...