Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 Barrel

sauza45

I like my 28 inch tube and can double for a turkey gun. You can also get away with a more open choke. Some will argue that it’s to long for getting in and out of ports, but that’s a dumb argument when we all run 12rd tubes. It adds little no weight unless you are comparing it to a 22 or shorter and a 12rd tube sticks out just a few inches lower than the barrel. 

my pump gun for heavy is a 28" barrel and like fly said above me it's still shorter than a 12rd tube below it.  I wanted the 26" but they had a 28" on the rack in front of me so i just grabbed that, no regrets. once you're below 22"-24" it seems velocity drops and the changes to effective choke start becoming a bit of a factor depending on the match.  at VSS last year there was some crazy heavy set steel on one stage that even choked full the 14" shorty open guns had trouble with, my 19" open gun was ok, but the 24"+ tube guns didnt have as much trouble as we did.  24" seems to be a sweet spot though to me.

I have the 21" with extended chokes. I bounce between diffuser and LM chokes and rarely have issues knocking down steel. I run any 1-1/8oz that is cheap for practice, usually federal bulk pack. And switch to AA's or Rem Nitro express for bigger matches.