Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 sensors?

I am on the fence on pulling the trigger on a 1050 pro auto drive. What sensors are y’all running and what should I get. I’ve watched some YouTube vids and a lot of guys don’t have any sensors and mist just have low primer sensor and the decap sensor. Another thought is to sell my new 1050 with bullet feeder and jyst get a evolution with autodrive. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Primer sense, Bullet sense and swage sense are a must in my opinion.

The swage sense catches ringers and cases that aren't deprimed. The bullet sense stops the press if no bullet is present. 

What about powder check sensor? A lot of vids and nobody using it. I guess it’s not that important 

''What about powder check sensor? A lot of vids and nobody using it. I guess it’s not that important''

There is a big drawback after 10 minutes of using the press there is powder everywhere.
There is nothing valid for powder control

8 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

What about powder check sensor? A lot of vids and nobody using it. I guess it’s not that important 

That is the most important sensor of them all. You don't want double/empty cases.

And get anyway all the sensors...

8 hours ago, dansedgli said:

You have to use a combined seating and crimp die if you use a powder check. I don't like them.

Only with Dillon-based legacy products. With Mark7 Evolution you have enough space for both powder check and separate seat/crimp.

I use the Swage and bullet sensors.

I have the decap sensor, but I've never been able to get it to run without a significant number of false positives. The swage sensor will catch any brass that isn't decapped.

I also have the primer sensor, but since I refill while the press is running, its a hassle not to set off the sensor at the same time. So most of the time I don't use it.

22 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Primer sense, Bullet sense and swage sense are a must in my opinion.

The swage sense catches ringers and cases that aren't deprimed. The bullet sense stops the press if no bullet is present. 

Is it overkill to get SwageSense AND Decap Sense?

53 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Is it overkill to get SwageSense AND Decap Sense?

I've got both but it's an older decap sense. It gets dirty often and plays up. The new ones might be better. 

I preprocess brass so everything has 2 runs through a decapper anyway. 

It is on the very rare occasion that I get a stuck primer or a ringer and the swage sense seems to capture them all. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was In this situation a few month ago and ultimately decided on the Swage Sensor, Bullet Sensor and Powder Check. The swage sensor is a good catch all sensor that will help you catch a primer that isnt spent but Its not mandatory. The guy above that mentions primer sense being better for this isnt wrong. I definitely agree, but I think what others will tell you is that you can technically get dual usage from the swage sensor. I personally have never experiences a crimped primer pocket and dont even need the swage function at all. It's good to have one of these but its annoying that it may only come in handy one time every 5,000 rounds. Makes it seem like a waste but ill leave that up to you.

The powder check sensor is recommended especially if your shooting open division. You dont want to get out on the range and find out you have no powder or way too much. This is the only sensor that prevents that.  You could have every other sensor possible but if you dont have this, you could end up with bad ammo come competition day and for that reason this sensor is well worth the money. One squib or over pressure round could not only ruin your day at the range or ruin the competition for you, but also ruin your gun and hand!

The bullet sensor is a mandatory. This will prevent you a world of headache if you run out of bullets or something gets stuck with the bullet feeder and you dont want tons of cases emptying into your bin with powder everywhere.