Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back off the strain screw, cheap trigger job?

ysrracer

No way Jośe. Just for fun I backed off the strain screw a quarter of a turn on my S&W 617 to see what would happen.

I dry fired it a dozen times, and almost immediately I could see it backing out more.

A .22 needs a lot of hammer energy to fire, I doubt mine has enough left. My advice is, if you want a better trigger pull, take it to a gunsmith and let them do what they do.

You need to blue loctite the strain screw of any revolver.

If your not comfortable changing parts on your firearms, by all means bring them to a competent gunsmith, but it's really not that hard to accomplish by yourself, especially with all of the knowledge found in this forum.

Trying to make a race car out of a VW beetle isn't going to happen using factory parts.

The 617 has been around for awhile and there's only so much you can do to it before you need to add race parts to get where you want to go.

As far as I know, there's no Single/Dbl mass hammer in production to make it fire more reliably.

The only way I got my DA trigger pull down to around 6lbs, was with the addition of the apex mass hammer and a well adjusted main spring.

I got it down to about 7 lbs DA pull with shimming the cylinder, longer firing pin, spring kit and a more sensitive primed ammo combination.

Plus polishing the internals, frog lube and dry firing (with snap caps) for a couple of weeks.

SJC

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

AZ, I'll be at the Thursday night steel match at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club. Will you be there?

I keep my 617 single/double action so new shooters/my grandkids can shoot it.

Sorry I can't.  I will be at the next Cactus Match Steel Challenge, the third Sunday at Ben Avery.  I'll be shooting my 617.  It has the new Apex Mass Drive Hammer which allows for single or double action shooting.  They just announced them at the Shot Show.

617 Apex Mass Hammer.jpg

John Hansbury was a great guy.  I miss him. He had a lot of knowledge and shared it.

I haven't seen Terry in years.  He doesn't go to the Steel Challenge Match.  They are a lot of fun these days.  They really fill up fast and you now have to preregister on the computer through Practiscore.

4 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Sorry I can't.  I will be at the next Cactus Match Steel Challenge, the third Sunday at Ben Avery.  I'll be shooting my 617.  It has the new Apex Mass Drive Hammer which allows for single or double action shooting.  They just announced them at the Shot Show.

617 Apex Mass Hammer.jpg

I stand corrected, as Apex has answered the call about making an SA/DA mass hammer.

SJC

18 hours ago, shoots100 said:

You need to blue loctite the strain screw of any revolver.

If your not comfortable changing parts on your firearms, by all means bring them to a competent gunsmith, but it's really not that hard to accomplish by yourself, especially with all of the knowledge found in this forum.

Trying to make a race car out of a VW beetle isn't going to happen using factory parts.

The 617 has been around for awhile and there's only so much you can do to it before you need to add race parts to get where you want to go.

As far as I know, there's no Single/Dbl mass hammer in production to make it fire more reliably.

The only way I got my DA trigger pull down to around 6lbs, was with the addition of the apex mass hammer and a well adjusted main spring.

I got it down to about 7 lbs DA pull with shimming the cylinder, longer firing pin, spring kit and a more sensitive primed ammo combination.

Plus polishing the internals, frog lube and dry firing (with snap caps) for a couple of weeks.

SJC

Which 22 ammo has "a more sensitive primed ammo combination" ?

9 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

No, it's not that one.  That's what I had.  I went to Apex and asked Randy if he could look at my 617 because I thought I could get a better action thanwhat I had.  I had the older Mass Hammer.  Randy put the new one in for me and asked me to try it out.

It works real well.  I now have Single Action for when I want to test for groups, and Double action for my Steel Challenge Matches.

Edited by AzShooter

1 minute ago, ysrracer said:

I like Federal Auto Match.

I'm finding that what works best for me is Federal BYOB 36 grain bullets and their 38 grain work well also.

I shoot a lot of Blazer as well.  It works best in my Ruger Mark IVs so I try it in all my guns. 

23 hours ago, AzShooter said:

617 Apex Mass Hammer.jpg

Hi Brad,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately our new Mass Driver Hammers with the single action spur are not yet available. I actually do not have a time frame for when we expect those to be available for purchase.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest subscribing to our email newsletter, following us on social media or keeping an eye on our blog to best be aware of new product announcements. Sometimes we will post teaser photos of projects on our social media accounts, but the newsletter will be used for official announcements when products are available for purchase or pre-order.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Jenna Criado

7 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Which 22 ammo has "a more sensitive primed ammo combination" ?

I used Fed auto match during match's and the fed 525 box ammo for practice and match shooting.

The CCI patriot was also very reliable when I set the pull to 6.5 pounds.

With the factory hammer, I needed to keep it at 7lbs with auto match and 7.5 with CCI.

SJC

I always had the best luck with CCI rimfire ammo (Mini-Mags or Blazers).  I never had luck with the old Apex 617 hammer--makes me wonder if that might be why it was re-designed?  I do know that you don't want to take any weight off the hammer with a 617 if you want good ignition reliability (unlike the center-fire guns).  I will not abide clickers.  After experimenting with a variety of options, I went with a stock hammer on my 617.  You can reduce the DA pull some on rimfire revos, but not a whole lot.  Of course, you can hone the internals and improve the smoothness of the action a good deal.