Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MRO Green opinions..?

ck1

Looking at getting an MRO with the Green dot (I have an astigmatism, so green works best for my eyes)... thoughts?

I had an early red MRO that I absolutely hated and promptly got rid of because it had some noticeable magnification and wasn’t a true 1x, but I hear the newer ones (and green ones) are cured of that, true?

Also, the battery life looks pretty short, I’m not too concerned about that because batteries are cheap and plentiful, but I’ve read they can go dead after only a couple days when accidentally left on at the higher settings, and mine will probably be parked at “5” (1 down from max) most of the time... has it been a problem for anybody, or has been changing out batteries often been a hassle?

I currently run a Holosun T1-style sight that’s been great (and batteries last and last because of the “shake awake” feature when I forget to turn it off), and I don’t really need to switch, but I do like how the Trijicon is so much more robust as far as getting knocked around and beat up... but moving to the MRO won’t really be an upgrade if there are other issues that make it a PITA...

Thanks.

For games, I think it’s too expensive for what we would use it for. If you want green, have you considered the Holosun offerings with green reticles? If it’s for real life stuff, I only have experience with Trijicon. 

9 minutes ago, OPENB said:

For games, I think it’s too expensive for what we would use it for. If you want green, have you considered the Holosun offerings with green reticles? If it’s for real life stuff, I only have experience with Trijicon. 

I own/use a Holosun HE403GL-GR and it’s been great, but it’s obviously not as bomb-proof as the Trijicon... really the only reason I’m looking to possibly upgrade is to hopefully future-proof myself from breaking it and then having to get used to something else. 

Looks like Holosun has discontinued their enclosed green dot sights w/ side-load/cap batteries and w/o solar and “auto brightness mode” which I prefer. IMHO, Holosun’s “battery tray” models aren’t as robust as the “side-load/cap” models because they’re one stripped cheap little screw from being useless, and I find the “auto brightness” annoying and too easy to accidentally turn on, so I prefer the models without it.

Bummer. Ordered one: still has magnification and isn’t 1X, also the dot is more yellow than green which doesn’t pick up as fast for my eyes.

FWIW, I was told the newer MRO HD released at Shot Show last month finally fixed the magnification issues, but who knows when we’ll see a green reticle version...

I have an MRO on my AR...... I also have astigmatism, luckily for me the dot (red) is still crisp. I do notice a slight magnification IF i concentrate on it. when I'm actually sending rounds down range I don't notice it at all. I think the worst thing to do is just hold it up with your hands and look through it. I like to mount on rifle and transition between a few targets outside. get a real feel for it. but hey.... mileage may vary.

30 minutes ago, DVS20 said:

I have an MRO on my AR...... I also have astigmatism, luckily for me the dot (red) is still crisp. I do notice a slight magnification IF i concentrate on it. when I'm actually sending rounds down range I don't notice it at all. I think the worst thing to do is just hold it up with your hands and look through it. I like to mount on rifle and transition between a few targets outside. get a real feel for it. but hey.... mileage may vary.

I totally get it... I've heard the slight magnification doesn't really bother some folks, but for me it's a deal-breaker.

I had and ran the original pre89k serial MRO for a while, so I do have some experience running the MRO's... and those older ones were definitely worse than the newer ones for sure, but there's still some magnification present, and just looking through it at arms length was all I needed to know it's a no-go for me.

For me, having the magnification in one eye with both eyes open gives me a slight "seasick" feeling, and at its worst, sometimes I see double. It especially messes with me when I transition to my non-dominant eye, like when "bumping shoulders" or going weak-side (which I do a lot because I choose not to run an offset sight). I actually do think I'd notice it even if I was unaware of it, because something would look/feel wonky to me.

It's funny, I was really hoping they'd fixed them because it seems silly to be running a "ghetto" Holosun on a Gucci'd out rifle... but the MRO won't work for me, so ghetto it is lol!

2 hours ago, ck1 said:

I totally get it... I've heard the slight magnification doesn't really bother some folks, but for me it's a deal-breaker.

I had and ran the original pre89k serial MRO for a while, so I do have some experience running the MRO's... and those older ones were definitely worse than the newer ones for sure, but there's still some magnification present, and just looking through it at arms length was all I needed to know it's a no-go for me.

For me, having the magnification in one eye with both eyes open gives me a slight "seasick" feeling, and at its worst, sometimes I see double. It especially messes with me when I transition to my non-dominant eye, like when "bumping shoulders" or going weak-side (which I do a lot because I choose not to run an offset sight). I actually do think I'd notice it even if I was unaware of it, because something would look/feel wonky to me.

It's funny, I was really hoping they'd fixed them because it seems silly to be running a "ghetto" Holosun on a Gucci'd out rifle... but the MRO won't work for me, so ghetto it is lol!

You think about going the EOTECH route? I was up in the air about the MRO and EXPS series from EOTECH. I went with the MRO mainly due to price. but EOTECH has a green reticle EXPS2

20 minutes ago, DVS20 said:

You think about going the EOTECH route? I was up in the air about the MRO and EXPS series from EOTECH. I went with the MRO mainly due to price. but EOTECH has a green reticle EXPS2

Yeah, EOTech’s don’t work with my eyes at all, and I need it to low mount anyways which EOTech’s don’t really do (MPX, needs to be closer to AK-height).