Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ this weekend

Robertwil18

So, I suffered my first DQ this past weekend, and it was frustrating for sure.   For reference, I run a Dawson Super Tuned STI Edge with LSI grip and X-Line trigger.  No other modifications have been made to this pistol.

I am the last shooter in my squad, and step into position.   I'm given the "Make Ready", and load my pistol with my first magazine, rack the slide, and BANG!!!  I was noticeably surprised by it and immediately ULSC.  I suspect, and confirm on the line for the RO, that I am suffering from intermittent hammer follow.  Just so happened it was the first draw of the gun, first load, first slide cycle of the match.  Frustrating, but not entirely within my control.  To clarify, this is the FIRST occurrence of hammer follow during operation, and I had been successfully dry firing the 2 days prior to the match without incident.  So, I stuck around, ran the timer and tablet, kept scores, and helped tear down and clean up.  Not what I had expected, but a learning experience nonetheless.   

As to the hammer follow....  I have had a suspicion that an issue may arise as last week I noticed that the right hand side of the hammer face was worn, while the left was not.  I think this may indicate an improperly drilled hammer pin hole, which would cant the hammer slightly and perhaps even reduce the hammer/sear contact potentially resulting in the hammer follow in this incident.  I will be tearing it down and marking it up to gauge sear contact and troubleshoot the issue before contacting STI CS.  

On 2/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, Robertwil18 said:

I suspect that I am suffering from  hammer follow.         this is the FIRST occurrence of hammer follow during operation

I had a suspicion that an issue may arise as last week I noticed that the right hand side of the hammer face was worn, while the left was not. 

Do you mean that you were suffering from hammer follow in dry fire, but NOT during operation (live fire) ?

No, not at all.  While dry firing, the hammer follow had never occurred.  I had no suspicions it may, but was curious as to the "uneven" wear on the hammer face.  In 16,000 rounds, there have been zero weapons related issues or malfunctions until this incident.  

Have you been dropping the slide on an empty chamber? This might cause excessive wear on the sear.

You are probably onto something regarding the badly drilled hole for the hammer pin - my old edge has this in the sear pin holes and it does cause accelerated wear - I just have to keep a very close eye on sear function.

It sure sucked for you for sure.  But it was certainly great of you to stick around and run the tablet for the rest of the match.  Francis went to area 2 a couple years back and in his very first stage of the day, he fired one/three shots on the stage to get himself DQ’d due to hammer follow.  He had taken his gun completely apart the night before and didn’t get it back together properly and didn’t test fire it prior to shooting the match.  Hopefully you will get it sorted out and won’t have to worry about it happening again.  It is a terrible feeling when your gun goes off when you weren’t expecting it, whether it was caused by you or a malfunctioning gun.  

Edited by GetAwayDriva