Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tightgroup 200gr Major Loads

Adamg_55

I’ve got a ton of 200gr projectiles and 8lbs of tightgroup so I’m trying to work up a load for major. So far 4.2gr of tightgroup with a 200gr at 1.185” gets me around 850fps out of my tanfolgio limited custom.

Since most manuals don’t have data for long loads, I started at 3.5gr and worked my way up. 

anyone have a similar load for this?

also, how do I tell if I’m at or above a max load? That’s my concern here

One indication of over-pressure loads is primer deformation. As the pressure goes up the pressure will increasingly flatten the primer against the breech face. Google "pistol primer deformation" and you'll get some great images to show what this looks like.

You'll notice I'm not saying you're safe as long as you get no deformation, or that you're unsafe if you get deformation. This is one of those areas where no one can tell you a specific rule or amount. You have to make that decision yourself.

I don't have a 200gr load with TG to share, but your numbers look like they're in the right ballpark. My 6" 2011 competition load with 180s was 4.4 TG.

Good luck!

I read all this "reading primers" stuff. IMO you are just as well off reading tea leaves or casting chicken bones. Ive seen actual pressure tests on ammo and by the time you start seeing primer flow you are already drastically over pressure. Id rather trust a good reloading ladder, watching your velocity. Increases in charge should show a pretty linear increase in velocity,  if you get a jump or a plateau with an increase, you are probably at max for your combo. Back off at that point.
I hear people talk about working up, but wonder what they actually mean.
Start low and if gun didnt blow up try next load,, repeat ?  Not saying thats you, I just wonder about it sometimes.

The MFG is showing 823 as max in a 4", yep you are loading long, so could conceivably be able to use a bit more powder, however you being at 850 tells me you are over pressure.
Also seems your charges are kinda high. My old major load was 185 gr Pecision black bullets  over 4.2 gr TG, before I switched to WST. at the lame 1.185 OAL.
Honestly I dont think TG is the powder for the job you are trying to accomplish.

44 minutes ago, cheers623 said:

What kind of 200gr projectile? That’ll make quite difference. If they’re some sort of moly-coat you’re probably fine. If they’re Montana Gold or other hard-assed jacketed bullet...it might be risky. YMMV

They are 200gr jacketed Berrys bullets. Double Struck FP

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I read all this "reading primers" stuff. IMO you are just as well off reading tea leaves or casting chicken bones. Ive seen actual pressure tests on ammo and by the time you start seeing primer flow you are already drastically over pressure. Id rather trust a good reloading ladder, watching your velocity. Increases in charge should show a pretty linear increase in velocity,  if you get a jump or a plateau with an increase, you are probably at max for your combo. Back off at that point.
I hear people talk about working up, but wonder what they actually mean.
Start low and if gun didnt blow up try next load,, repeat ?  Not saying thats you, I just wonder about it sometimes.

The MFG is showing 823 as max in a 4", yep you are loading long, so could conceivably be able to use a bit more powder, however you being at 850 tells me you are over pressure.
Also seems your charges are kinda high. My old major load was 185 gr Pecision black bullets  over 4.2 gr TG, before I switched to WST. at the lame 1.185 OAL.
Honestly I dont think TG is the powder for the job you are trying to accomplish.

I think you are probably right that any deformation at all is a sign that you are above any factory threshold (although I don't have experience with magnum loads or any of the truly high power factory stuff). But that doesn't mean we shouldn't monitor primers as an indicator when we know we're intentionally pushing beyond published loads. It just doesn't have a measurable, quantifiable number associated with it like velocity spikes and fall offs.

I especially like those people trying to do load development without a chrono.

A Max load of tightgroup and a 200gr is listed at 822fps with a pressure of 31,700psi.

CFE power pistol with a 200gr gets you 897fps with a pressure of 33,500 psi.

SAAMI specs for 40sw are 35,000 psi.

Why is the max load for tightgroup so much under spec?

19 hours ago, Adamg_55 said:

A Max load of tightgroup and a 200gr is listed at 822fps with a pressure of 31,700psi.

CFE power pistol with a 200gr gets you 897fps with a pressure of 33,500 psi.

SAAMI specs for 40sw are 35,000 psi.

Why is the max load for tightgroup so much under spec?

Cause its max for that combination, and probably gets spikey as all get out if you go higher. Like a very small increase creates a drastic spike.