Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The old C-mores would drain a battery overnight.

The R3M and SRO?  I don't bother turning them off, ever. 

52 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

Yeah those C-More batteries go dead quick. I pay $10.50 for just one of those. You gotta turn off your red dot as soon as you unload and show clear on every stage.

At the end of the day, you end up with a pink dot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I dry fire at home before I leave for a match, if I'm shooting PCC or CO the dot gets turned on then and stays on until I get home. And one reason I no longer have a C-more is because of the battery drain, though I really liked it most other ways.

• 1 month later...

Yeah so it varies a bit with different dots. My dpp is great on battery and also a bit annoying to turn on and off, so it stays on. 

I used to leave my rts2’s on but the v1-v4 don’t have movement sensors. They turn off automatically after 2hrs (maybe 3?) without any button being pressed. I once had that happen mid stage after I turned it on in the morning and hadn’t touched it since. After that I made it a habit to press a button before my turn to shoot. 

Now with the rts2 I turn it off. However I don’t turn it on at make ready. I turn it on when I’m next shooter up. I can do it in the holster easily and I also get an idea of where the brightness needs to be. It also means if something is wrong I have time to switch to the backup... At make ready I simply check I’m happy with the brightness and adjust as needed. 

I do turn off after the stage but I do it in the holster. Nothing worse than people waiting to score/reset while some dude spends a minute f*#king with his dot. Get the gun safely holstered, check targets etc then I turn it off and put the cover on when I’m back and my range bag. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/2/2020 at 3:25 PM, Rich406 said:

Turn mine on when I unbag, and off when I bag at the end of the match

+1

Unless its one of those days that go from overcast to really bright then I will usually make an adjustment between stages. 

Edited by jfa25

Had a new guy a couple of weeks ago at a match ( new to optic and new to pistols) shooting a CZ s2 with an SRO found out the hard way what happens when you turn the dot off after shooting a stage. Has not got himself a LAMR routine ýet so didn't do any checks.

DeltaPoint Pro - 2 day Major matches, I turn it on Friday night when I dryfire and turn it off when I get home Monday. After the first year or so I’ve just left it on and let it turn off and on automatically. I replace the battery every 4 or 5 months.  Maybe that’s is why it’s lasted over 4years and tens of thousands rounds?  
Who knows but I just leave it on and it seems to like it... 👍🏼

I have the Romeo3 XL, not sure how long the battery last. 2032's are not expensive, about a buck a piece. I turn my dot on at the MR. After the stage while I am reloading my mags, I can look down and check the dot. I'll turn it off then. If I leave it on after a stage, it's no big deal. I jump back and forth, sometimes I get the dot to turn off, sometimes I forget. I'll change it once a year. and carry spares. Whatever works, as long as you have a dot when you need it, and not a dying battery.