Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Armedinmd

Remembering Ammo

Last match was my first and I remembered everything except for my ammo. This time I have my bags packed the night before. 

I forgot ammo once. Loaded mags, put them in the bag, carried the bag to the door, let the ammo boxes neatly stacked. Not sure how I missed the lack of weight.

Someone loaned me 100ish rounds of factory. Asked him what I owed when it was over and he wouldn't take more than $20.

Hahaha, So that's pretty much what happend to me. Had the mags loaded, ended up buying a box of ammo from somewhere there for a very fair price. I brought some extra in case some one else forgets this time. 

I always bring a couple of boxes of factory ammo just in case and have loaned it out a few times.

I wonder why I do that?

Well this time I remembered the ammo but forgot my eyes and ears, luckily I was able to borrow some. I think I have everything actually put together this time and a whole week in advance. I will definitely be double checking be leaving though.

Might consider a good large range bag or backpack style. It has everything needed for any match except ammo, belt/holster/mag holders, gun, & mags. The gun & mags are in a separate bag that fits in my range bag. So when I check before the match all I have to look for is range bag, gun bag, belt, & ammo. Eyes, ears. spare parts, oil, etc. never leave the range bag. Take them out at the match, back in after.

gerritm

+1 on the large range bag.  Mine is the largest I could find, when I bought it; has its own zip code.  Holds everything I need for a match except for my belt/holster.  Throw everything in the night before, so all you have to do the next morning is throw it in the car.  Considering how everyone is using the collapsible wagons, these days, it's not even a hassle to lug around.

Range bag always has everything.Just add my ammo and guns.

I use mini ammo bags they hold bout 500 rounds of 9mm and 3-4 times what i need for match or about what i shoot on practice.

I have forgotten ammo for certain guns(not all/and it was a practice day)

I have left rifle at range(not my proudest moment/lived an hour from range and noticed once i got home/someone was nice enough to hold it for me.)

We've all shown up and forgotten something.

Now I use a Checklist, written down like a stone tablet.

It definitely has more items on it than Moses did.

I have been thinking checklist and I will still probably do one. However I really like the idea of a range bag with everything in it. I normally have my stuff on some shelving and just throw everything together before a range trip. I think it would be really beneficial to just keep one packed with everything except the guns and mags, so I just grab one bag and it encompasses lots. Right now I use a LAPG small range bag and pistol bad. I might keep an eye out so a little larger of a range bag, though I feel like I should be able to pack the basics in what I have. Thanks for all of the ideas, I'll be putting them to use this weekend at my first 3 gun match.

We shoot USPSA & 3-gun. There are 3 of us. My son, granddaughter, & myself. Not too bad for USPSA, but, Imagine the amount of stuff for all 3 of us for a 3-gun match. Each one of has a range bag with standard items that never change. I have all of the spare parts for 3-guns in a separate bag besides my standard range back pack.

It has become a standard routine for us to keep all organized and not forget anything. Really the only things to pack are guns, mags, ammo, holster & belts. Rest is in our range bags. Worst thing was a 4 hour drive to a 3-gun match and my son forgot the key to a loop type gun lock on his shotgun half way into the trip. Needless to say there was a quick stop at a Home Depot for a pair of bolt cutters.

gerritm

2 hours ago, gerritm said:

We shoot USPSA & 3-gun. There are 3 of us. My son, granddaughter, & myself. Not too bad for USPSA, but, Imagine the amount of stuff for all 3 of us for a 3-gun match. Each one of has a range bag with standard items that never change. I have all of the spare parts for 3-guns in a separate bag besides my standard range back pack.

It has become a standard routine for us to keep all organized and not forget anything. Really the only things to pack are guns, mags, ammo, holster & belts. Rest is in our range bags. Worst thing was a 4 hour drive to a 3-gun match and my son forgot the key to a loop type gun lock on his shotgun half way into the trip. Needless to say there was a quick stop at a Home Depot for a pair of bolt cutters.

gerritm

Do three of you have a preferred range bag, I have been looking in the gear section and see there are lots of different recommendations. Also once your at the range for a match do you typically carry the bags and guns or put them in a wagon/cart.

We each have a backpack type range bag. GPS Gunner & a Midway USA. We use to store gear & pistols/mags then transfer to a cart at the range. Can carry several pistols including backups and wrap the holster belt around the backpack. Plenty of room.

Especially for 3gun. Sometimes just carry the backpack for USPSA. Depends on the match.  I have a Rangerunner cart for 3-gun. My son & grandaughter both have converted baby jogging strollers. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018312232

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1085600349841?pid=349841

gerritm

Thank you for the description and links. I hadn't seen the Midway backpack before. It looks really nice with the different pistol pouches. I also like how it has compartments for eyes and ears. I figure those items probably cover what should be in the range bag. 

Every time i see this post come up i read it as "Remember Alamo"

19 hours ago, gerritm said:

Worst thing was a 4 hour drive to a 3-gun match and my son forgot the key to a loop type gun lock on his shotgun half way into the trip. Needless to say there was a quick stop at a Home Depot for a pair of bolt cutters.

gerritm

+1 forgetting the gun lock key, but it was a through the trigger guard type.

So embarrassing when I brought the gun so someone else could use it.

So this weekend's shoot I actually remembered everything. Thank you for all the tips, I tossed my basics in a range bag I use for my normal range trips. 

Bullets go in the magazine(s) which go in the gun which goes in the holster (which is attached to the belt). Load the range bag in that order. Most of whatever else I need stays in the range bag.

I forgot my belt/rig once going to a sectional match that was four hours away. Lucked out and was able to borrow gear.

+1 for the GPS backpack. Holds both the Wife's and mine gats, ammo, safety gear, tools, and more. 

I have seen a lot of positive post on that bag and a few other. Right now the current bag I have seems to work ok if I actually load it up. I will probably start looking at the end of the season when I have a better idea of what I am looking for.