Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taran base pads

jstagn

I use TTI pads on all my SVI/STI mags. The size of the pad depends on the length of your magazine. I use the 7mm on the older 131mm mags for a total of 19 rounds with Grams internals. All of my 140mm mags pass the gauge with the 4G pads. 

14 minutes ago, jstagn said:

Thanks Rob, since I shoot open thinking of putting 7mm on my 140 mags, don’t need the extra round of 4 mm, just thinking of easier reloading on classifiers with the slight extra length. Is there any downside to using 7mm? Thanks 

7mm on 140’s gets me 23 rounds 

4mm on 170’s gets me 28

these are for 9MAJOR

Using the Gen 2 STI 21 round 9/38 mags, I get 25 in with a 4G2 pad and 24 with a 3G2 pad.  They are reloadable with a slam.  I download them by one so a slight snick is that is required to seat the mag. 

The 4G does not fit the gauge.  I don't rally care, because I shoot Open.  The only downside to using the 7G2 pads is you have to go to a 13-coil spring.  I'm not sure that would get you to 29 reloadable.  I'd rather just buy a big stick.  I'm really happy with mt MBX 170 and 155 mags.

2 minutes ago, jstagn said:

So if I use a 7mm pad on my 140 gen2 mags I would need to go to a 13 coil spring rather than the current 11? I shoot open and already have big sticks.

I run 11 coil springs in my 140's and 13 in my 170's with the above mentioned pads. No issues whatsoever

20 hours ago, Sarge said:

7mm on 140’s gets me 23 rounds 

4mm on 170’s gets me 28

these are for 9MAJOR

YMMV. My 170 mm mag will not pass the gauge with a 4mm pad.  Had to use a 3mm.  Can still get 29 reloadable

^^^ This . I ran chrono for a level 2 sectional and there were 3 open shooters that shot for no score with TTI 4 mm on 170 mags . If want to use those it's best to check before heading to a major . 

2 hours ago, Balakay said:

YMMV. My 170 mm mag will not pass the gauge with a 4mm pad.  Had to use a 3mm.  Can still get 29 reloadable

Well, yeah, you have to take a smidge off the back of the lips on the mag. And remember the rules have changed that you can now apply pressure to make the mags pass as well. Makes me wonder though, who hands the chrono guy a 170?

• 4 months later...

Ive been told you have to modify the SV 140 tubes to keep rounds from passing past the tube and into the pad when using the 7mm pads.  Was told you had to tune the ribs near the bottom of the mag.  Anyone else experience this? 

Any brand tube that does not have a SMOOTH transition where the bottom of the control ribs meets the lower side walls of the tube will have problems as the rounds travel up and past that transition. 
I’ve got some older generation SV tubes where the transition is SMOOTH so there was nothing else for me to do.  Gen 1 STI tubes are not smooth at that transition so they need to be corrected.   I don’t have newer SV tubes or Gen 2 STI tubes to comment on those.