Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am atrocious

Abominator

Casually shot all my life, never competitively. I started USPSA last year, shot 4 matches ranked around the middle of the pack (about 30 is people) every match. Was pretty happy but diagnosing my scores I was actually extremely accurate but pretty darn slow. I saw how important speed is so I bought Ben Stoeger's Dryfire book and Skill and Drills. Great reads. I am using the accurate but slow schedule for training. Holy F$@k I am slow. I feel light years away from these PAR times. I know I just started but I didn't realize how hard it is to move fast and try to retain accuracy. Oh well I'm still having a great time and can't wait for matches to start up in my area again. Anyone have a similar experience? 

I was told that speed would come with experience, and I found that to be true. I was also told that a good rhythm is getting an A and C on each target. I was never really able to accomplish that, I always tried for two alphas. 

• 2 weeks later...

Speed comes from seeing faster and moving, not necessarily shooting faster.

Seeklander sometimes refers to 'controlled chaos" in competition.

Voigt probably move in and out of position faster than anyone I have seen.

TGO moves only as far as he has to to see his target--no wasted movement.

Taran just rolls through each position shooting.

Burkett was always out of breadth when he finished a stage.

If you are getting 95% of your points then it is time to up the movement/seeing aspects.

You have to push your comfort zone to get faster.  Make sure you don't develop training scars in the process.  Never compromise you the firing sequence procedure to gain speed

Seeklander has a great book.  Check his website.

Take a class from a known instructor!

Usually, beginners (and me) benefit MORE from shooting as usual, but 

doing everything else faster.

It does help to shoot faster, also, though.  But that's a grip/trigger pull

trick.  Have to really clamp down on that gun, and pull the trigger 

straight back with just enough pressure to set it off.

You can try recording yourself doing a stage and one of the better guys at the match to see the differences. Personally I find double tapping just "feel" faster not really helpful. The main thing I saw between myself and a GM level guy was just how much faster everything was. It wasn't the quarter second splits, it was everything. Getting into position with the gun up ready to fire, transitions, moving, etc.

Basically though, the only way to get faster it to practice going fast.

Edited by lroy

You won't get faster if you practice slow shooting. The only way to get faster is to get out of your comfort zone and to build speed. Sure, you can go out of your comfort zone "a little bit at a time" (commonly knowing as simply "getting better with practice"), but that's a lot of wasted training time just so you don't feel overwhelmed. When you start working on speed, you will miss and you will feel out of control. That's the point...

Otherwise, as others pointed out, for your match scores it's about shooting sooner, not shooting faster. Also known as being fast vs. shooting fast. By far most time is lost in movement, and by movement I don't mean just "getting from point A to point B," but "from last shot at point A to the first shot at point B." 

13 hours ago, Abominator said:

You are right about feeling out of control trying to speed up.

That's Ben's major point .

Speed up - it's okay to feel out of control, during practice sessions.

With the proper grip, springs and trigger technique, you can feel out

of control but still hit the target.

I've shot slowly, hoping to speed up, for decades - doesn't seem to

work very well.  During practice, I'm practicing stronger grip, better

trigger control and going "out of control" - getting better at it.

Have a ways to go (a long ways). 

This was the same as me and I’m sure all new shooters. I just started trying to “push the limits” lately and it has definitely paid off. I won my first ever local 3 Gun match last weekend. Shot faster but more than that, ran like a dog was after me from box to box. Almost busted my butt one time lol. I agree with all of this. Biggest problem I have is trying to move to the next target BEFORE I hear or see that hit. This creates make up shots and more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, atrocious, I'm mediocre.

I notice I do better if I hurry and accept a few wide shots.  The moderately good guys around here are shooting a good number of Cs but FAST.  I know the real centerfold shooters are shooting As fast but that is way ahead of me. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, pjb45 said:

Speed comes from seeing faster and moving, not necessarily shooting faster.

Seeklander sometimes refers to 'controlled chaos" in competition.

Voigt probably move in and out of position faster than anyone I have seen.

TGO moves only as far as he has to to see his target--no wasted movement.

Taran just rolls through each position shooting.

Burkett was always out of breadth when he finished a stage.

If you are getting 95% of your points then it is time to up the movement/seeing aspects.

You have to push your comfort zone to get faster.  Make sure you don't develop training scars in the process.  Never compromise you the firing sequence procedure to gain speed

Seeklander has a great book.  Check his website.

Take a class from a known instructor!

Thanks!  I’m on that book now!