Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different sized popple holes

sean_stw

1 hour ago, Whoops! said:

In 2018 he shot an xtreme Gold Team Tanfo to 1st place.

In 2019 he shot a custom Beretta 92X to second place.

Right?  Can anyone confirm?  I know when I met him in 2012 he was shooting a Limcat and that was when we had the discussion on v ports, as Limcat was the only 2011 builder doing that at the time.

Um No

I took a class from him a few moths before the 2018 Nationals and he showed off his new Limcat and talked about his being sponsored by them, then I stood and watched him use it in person at the Nationals in Florida while wearing a Limcat shirt.  I did not see him personally shoot the 2019 Nationals, I did talk directly to one of his squad mates to see if he was using the new Beretta yet, and was told no he was shooting his Limcat, I have no reason to think I was lied to, and the videos I have seen from the match also seem to show him using the Limcat.

56 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Um No

I took a class from him a few moths before the 2018 Nationals and he showed off his new Limcat and talked about his being sponsored by them, then I stood and watched him use it in person at the Nationals in Florida while wearing a Limcat shirt.  I did not see him personally shoot the 2019 Nationals, I did talk directly to one of his squad mates to see if he was using the new Beretta yet, and was told no he was shooting his Limcat, I have no reason to think I was lied to, and the videos I have seen from the match also seem to show him using the Limcat.

He was showing off the Beretta at the 2019 Nats I attended.  He had just gotten it a few weeks before the match. 

The 2018 info goes against other info I was told.  I know there were points in 2018 with the Limcat, but I didn’t believe Nats to be one of those.

Either way, ports for horizontal axis control for the win.  Limcats been doing those for as long as I can remember.

5 hours ago, Nolan said:

Because they have better things to do, like practice, teach, win matches, etc... than argue esoteric physics theories.

Nolan

And this is why firearms design has been so slow to evolve. 

10 hours ago, Whoops! said:

Your equation is too simple.  You need rocket science / aeronautical engineering principles.

Rocket science and aerospace engineering derive all principles from physics. It's not too simple if it's correct. 

Edited by theWacoKid

1 minute ago, theWacoKid said:

Rocket science and aerospace engineering derive all principles from physics. It's not too simple if it's correct. 

Let’s talk about all the factors you’re not taking into account.  

1.  The forces in the other 300 degree of barrel where the holes do not exist.

2.  That it still isn’t zero Pressure where the holes exist and that the low pressure area outside of the barrel will help pull more pressure from inside the barrel the entire time the bullet is exiting the barrel; as well as the bullet forcing more pressure out of those holes by blocking the frontal path of the burn.

3.  That while that pressure is pulled, it is acting on additional barrel surface area created by the holes made through the barrel.  

That additional surface area, as well as the other factors mentioned, applies additional force on the barrel and firearm to counteract the recoil made by the bullet being forced forward out of the barrel.

The reason we’re having this conversation is to see if and why popple holes work.  It isn’t an easy explanation.  We’re not going to get the best results by randomly drilling or edming holes in barrels.

So far, Schuemann has had the best popple design with his rocket nozzle style holes in the hybricomp barrels.

I would like to see someone put similarly effective holes in a “V” configuration with a super light weight slide and a titanium reverse gill comp (similar to Akai’s design) because Science, not conjecture, dictates that would be the best design.

And yes, there truly is only one best design.

12 minutes ago, Whoops! said:

Let’s talk about all the factors you’re not taking into account.  

1.  The forces in the other 300 degree of barrel where the holes do not exist.

2.  That it still isn’t zero Pressure where the holes exist and that the low pressure area outside of the barrel will help pull more pressure from inside the barrel the entire time the bullet is exiting the barrel; as well as the bullet forcing more pressure out of those holes by blocking the frontal path of the burn.

3.  That while that pressure is pulled, it is acting on additional barrel surface area created by the holes made through the barrel.  

That additional surface area, as well as the other factors mentioned, applies additional force on the barrel and firearm to counteract the recoil made by the bullet being forced forward out of the barrel.

The reason we’re having this conversation is to see if and why popple holes work.  It isn’t an easy explanation.  We’re not going to get the best results by randomly drilling or edming holes in barrels.

So far, Schuemann has had the best popple design with his rocket nozzle style holes in the hybricomp barrels.

I would like to see someone put similarly effective holes in a “V” configuration with a super light weight slide and a titanium reverse gill comp (similar to Akai’s design) because Science, not conjecture, dictates that would be the best design.

And yes, there truly is only one best design.

Imbalanced vertical forces absolutely counteract motion of the gun. Nobody says it doesn't. Balanced lateral forces do nothing to stabilize the gun, nor do they counteract other imbalances of lateral forces applied to the gun. 

There's physics, there's marketing, and there's intuition and they all aren't the same. 

18 hours ago, Whoops! said:

And this is why firearms design has been so slow to evolve. 

JJ and Eric not posting here has absolutely nothing to do with the evolution of firearm design and everything to do having better things to do.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

JJ and Eric not posting here has absolutely nothing to do with the evolution of firearm design and everything to do having better things to do.

Nolan

I agree. The evolution of open guns does not depend on 2 people......

2 hours ago, Fo0 said:

maybe if you did smaller popple holes and gradually went up to larger ones towards the end of the barrel it would hit less harsh and still be as flat

Anything that robs gas from the comp makes the gun hit your hand harder.  No positioning of holes can avoid that.  If you want to lessen that harshness, you have to add more powder so the comp gets more gas to work with.  That's easy to do in 40 Open and 38SC, but harder in 9mm major because of case capacity.