Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper holster setup

nhyrum

I'm sure this is like asking people for loads "each gun is different, find what works for you"

I just got a daa alpha x and am maybe just a little over whelmed by the infinite adjustability.

Height I think is pretty self explanatory, buy the forward/rearward angle,I have no idea what I "should" like.

I just got cha-lee's book, and Brian's book I should get tomorrow, maybe this kind of thing will be covered in those, and my googling didn't turn up anything.

How should I go about getting it set up right?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ditto,  speaking 2011/1911 frame Muzzle forward with a grip parallel to the ground or close depending on rule set.
You can always start by indexing the gun on a target, then holster, or pretend to holster then look where the gun ends up and at what angle.. Basically do a draw backwards,  and kinda mimic that position.

2 hours ago, nhyrum said:

perfect, that all makes sense. ill have to go over the rule book, but what do you mean when you say as close to parallel without violating rules?

If you read the USPSA appendices it will explain height requirements etc

If you read the USPSA appendices it will explain height requirements etc
I'll be shooting open, so from how I understand it, I have 3 3/8 inch from the top inside of my belt to the pistol, from the mounting point. Is that it?

8 hours ago, nhyrum said:

I'll be shooting open, so from how I understand it, I have 3 3/8 inch from the top inside of my belt to the pistol, from the mounting point. Is that it?

That’s distance from belt. It’s length of an overlay.

Im talking About height

”5.2.7 Competitors must not be permitted to commence a COF wearing
A holster with the heel of the butt of the handgun below the top of the belt, except as specified in Appendix D, or otherwise indicated in Rule 5.2.8.
A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing farther than 3 feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed.”

I use the same holster setup for USPSA and SCSA, so I adjusted y holster to accommodate each draw styles.  Whether it's a hands relaxed at sides draw, or a surrender draw, I want the gun to come straight out without canting left or right, or torquing back or forward.  In other words, no resistance to the draw.  For me that points the muzzle 2" in front of my right foot and 2"  to the side.  It took a considerable amount of tweaking to get it dialed in for both sports.

Just got confirmation the appendix might be reworded to reflect that 5.2.7 applies to all guns. So, yes, all guns must be heel of grip above top of belt

Edited by Sarge