Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

x5 legion not liking 150gr syntech

bsaks

just recently got my legion slide back from sig after they replaced the barrel for one without the LCI. I cleaned it and took it to the range to sight in and noticed my groupings were noticeable worse with 150g syntech compared to 124g syntech. anyone else have a similar experience?

this was just some basic offhand shooting at about 10yds. with 124s the gun was making one tiny hole. with 150s grouping was noticeably larger.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I tried 150gr Syntech's in my Legion and they were pretty bad shooting from a rest when I was zeroing the sights, same with AE147s and 147 handloads. AE124s and 124gr handloads grouped nice and tight. I swapped out to a Barsto drop in barrel because I have a ton of 147gr bullets ready to be loaded up. The Barsto barrel didn't change the group size with 124s, but did bring the 147s down the same size. I think it was probably around 2 inches at 25 yards. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Lowsc3 said:

So the general consensus is to shoot 124's? I hope so i ordered 1k rounds from peak performance yesterday.

135gr blue bullets run fine in mine. I’d get the occasional tumbler with 147gr though

3 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

Can you expand on that?  Did it cost anything?

No cost, just call Sig customer service and they will take care of it.  IF you happen to get one who gives you pushback just thank them all call back until you get the “right” person.  It is well documented on Enos they are replacing the LCI barrels.  Guns born after mid December no longer have the LCI

15 hours ago, zhunter said:

No cost, just call Sig customer service and they will take care of it.  IF you happen to get one who gives you pushback just thank them all call back until you get the “right” person.  It is well documented on Enos they are replacing the LCI barrels.  Guns born after mid December no longer have the LCI

I'll have to do that, while I'm not having issues with my barrel i plan on putting an optic on soon. 

What's the rifling twist in the barrel? I have found that a 1/16 twist sorts sucks with anything heavier that 124/125. A 1/10 seems to do well with those, and with 147/150. I have run some 150 Syntech and found it very good to go on 1/10... a little bit (maybe an inch of so) larger groups at 25 yards from a 1/16. Check your twist. I haven't yet figured out why 1/16 seems to be so popular with custom barrel makers and some manufacturers. 1/10 seems to do quite well with everything.

Edited by GOF
spelling

I did video while back comparing bullet accuracy from 115 all the way to 165 in my Grand Power . 165's were all over the place . Then I shot all different weights out of Arsenal Strike B and that thing didn't care , shot them all great. Go figure