Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011

Mitchster

I already have a Kimber 1911 that is my work carry gun. I love the trigger of the 1911. I like the weight of a heavy gun. I looked around and it’s hard to find a cheap 2011. I found the rock island but it only comes with one mag and I heard it’s hard to find extras that work. Any suggestions on a “cheap” 2011?
2011 and cheap aren't usually found in the same sentence.

The Rock Island / Para option is cheap and certainly there, but if you are on a budget you can get a much better gun if you are willing to go used. The classified section always has lots of previously loved 2011s that are perfectly good guns.

Dawson still has STI Edges in both 40 and 9 the last time I looked, I think that's just about the cheapest you are going to get without going the para route.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How do I check the classifieds?

They are in the Miscellaneous section of this forum, but I think there is a forum post restriction before you are able to see all of that. 

I've been researching this quite a bit myself over the last few months as I'm in the market for a limited gun and here are the conclusions I came to not counting the RIAs since I'm not considering those.

Remaining stock of Edges: 2000

Bul Armory: 2100 with plastic grip

CK Limited Solution: 2100-2800 depending on picked options with plastic grip, 3300ish with metal grip

PT Honcho: 3000 base level gun with aluminum grip

I think these are all the major options before you start getting into 4k+ territory.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, geraldskip said:

If you want a 9mm 2011, I really think the STI Staccato P is a good choice. I have one and the build quality is surprisingly nice. It shoots very comparable to my friend's hyperion and cost me less than half of what he paid.

"Build quality is surprisingly nice" is an interesting choice of words for a $2000 pistol. I would expect that build quality is excellent for that much money.

One of the Shot Show 2020 STI videos noted that the Staccato P has a 4# trigger (vs. a 2.5# trigger on the Staccato XL that costs $3400). I think that is because the Staccato P is not aimed at the competition market.

I definitely would not get a 2011 in 9mm if I planned on shooting USPSA. You may find, as happened to myself and many others, that you may start in IDPA and eventually find yourself shooting a lot more USPSA matches if you really "get into it."

Don't rush into a decision.

Additional thought (sacrilege perhaps), but take a peek at the Sig X5 Legion. It costs $899, weighs and feels "like" a 2011. All you need to add are Talon Grips ($17). This might be a better starting option. It has a flat trigger. I really like mine (but I still shoot my STI Edge (.40) in Lim Major on occasion).

3 hours ago, jschweg said:

2011 and cheap aren't usually found in the same sentence.

Dawson still has STI Edges in both 40 and 9 the last time I looked, I think that's just about the cheapest you are going to get without going the para route.

oh crap, dawson still has some Edges?  that's the route i'd go for sure (i have two of these and then a handful of their other models)!  and if you want a little better trigger, get the brazos pro bcg kit.  or see if dawson will do their 'supertune' for you (reliability and trigger work, not just bolt-on stuff).

On 2/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, Steppenwolf said:

"Build quality is surprisingly nice" is an interesting choice of words for a $2000 pistol. I would expect that build quality is excellent for that much money.

One of the Shot Show 2020 STI videos noted that the Staccato P has a 4# trigger (vs. a 2.5# trigger on the Staccato XL that costs $3400). I think that is because the Staccato P is not aimed at the competition market.

I definitely would not get a 2011 in 9mm if I planned on shooting USPSA. You may find, as happened to myself and many others, that you may start in IDPA and eventually find yourself shooting a lot more USPSA matches if you really "get into it."

Don't rush into a decision.

if you are familiar with older model STI’s, the new STI’s are surprisingly better in fitment. It is obvious their QC has gone up. 

and I agree with the statement about shooting 9mm in Limited. 40 is king there. 

But I don’t think it’s the end of the world to shoot minor in major world, unless you are a contender to win. It’s a 5-10% bump, depending on the match. 

It’s more important to go to matches and learn the movement and shooting bit, then if you decide you love USPSA, up your game and buy a dedicated USPSA gamer gun. 

The staccato P would do well in IDPA, 3 gun, and it would help you learn what you like in USPSA while you learn the ropes. 

The new Staccatos also have been holding their value in incredibly well, so selling it wouldn’t be that big of an issue. 

I don't know how you define "surprisingly better," but my STI Edge and Marauder are fit well, are accurate, and, other than a magazine-related issue with my Edge, have run well at matches. I've handled the STI Staccato XL in a LGS and it is not $1200 or more "better" than my STI Marauder. The trigger on my Marauder is at least "as good." I can punch out the 2" diameter center of a target at 30-35 feet easily with the Marauder or Edge at the range.

I've also handled a Staccato P in 9mm and its trigger is not as good and it doesn't feel as well balanced as my Marauder.

The new STI grips are grippier than the old Gen 1 grips, but Dawson STI fit grip tape works for me.

I would hope that they hold their value well, but given that the Staccato XL costs $3400, you will still take a larger loss if you sell comparative to an Edge or Marauder.

There pretty good builders out there...big and small shops.

Look at the classifieds there are a lot of good deals every day.  I own Atlas and Cheely.  My next build is EMG

- Atlas Gunworks (Adam) - Hyperion or Hyperion-L Gunbroker (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855417596)

- Cheely Custom Guns (Matt)

- EMG Custom Guns (Eddie)

- Heard good things about: Rafferty, Cameron's, Venom, Akai, Limcat, LSI

Another suggestion one of my buddy made was PT Honcho...modular gun you can tailor to the divisions you want to explore.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:16 PM, Mitchster said:

How does everyone feel about the Stacatto P?  It’s only $2000 and I would probably do a trigger job to get it down to about 2 pounds.

I love mine so far. But as everyone else has stated, it’s not really what I would consider a “competition gun” It’s more geared towards a duty gun. Maybe the P stands for Patrol? Idk. My CZ has a lighter trigger. But with a little trigger work I think the P would hold its own at a match. 

How does everyone feel about the Stacatto P?  It’s only $2000 and I would probably do a trigger job to get it down to about 2 pounds.

Does anyone offer trigger kits/trigger jobs for those? Or would you do a simple polish job your self? Those guns looks nice, but I would be using it for competition, so the trigger is kind of a killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staccato P would be a $2000 Limited Minor gun. Trigger work/part cost are an add on.

You can shoot a CZ Shadow 2 in Limited Minor.

You can shoot a SIG Legion X5 in Limited Minor.

You can shoot a CZ Tac Sports Orange 9mm in Limited Minor

There are other options for less money.

I recently saw a STI Staccato P sitting next to a Staccato XL (9mm) in a gun shop. Look the same except the longer slide and slide cuts (and trigger is better on the XL). $2000 vs. $3400.

If you are serious about competition there are many better options than the Staccato line.

55 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Does anyone offer trigger kits/trigger jobs for those? Or would you do a simple polish job your self? Those guns looks nice, but I would be using it for competition, so the trigger is kind of a killer

Specifically for an STI pistol:

http://www.1911store.com/tunedtriggergroupbcg-proseries.aspx

👍

Staccato P would be a $2000 Limited Minor gun. Trigger work/part cost are an add on.
You can shoot a CZ Shadow 2 in Limited Minor.
You can shoot a SIG Legion X5 in Limited Minor.
You can shoot a CZ Tac Sports Orange 9mm in Limited Minor
There are other options for less money.
I recently saw a STI Staccato P sitting next to a Staccato XL (9mm) in a gun shop. Look the same except the longer slide and slide cuts (and trigger is better on the XL). $2000 vs. $3400.

If you are serious about competition there are many better options than the Staccato line.

Ya I totally understand that, I’m stuck between getting something that’s good enough to get by or just as good, and just flat out wanting a 2011. Iv wanted one for a while and I figure if I buy it as a “competition gun” instead of just a range toy it’s more useful and I can use that to my advantage with the girlfriend. That’s sound logic right? Seriously though, Iv been looking at the shadow 2 and the TSO, and iv been reading up a lot on the Tactical Sport, although it’s not sold any more so that would be a used purchase.

I know the “*thumb rest [generic]*”s are popular in limited, is there an easy way install that on a shadow, or does it need to go to a gun smith to have the frame drilled and tapped? Or are they really not all that helpful?

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Ya I totally understand that, I’m stuck between getting something that’s good enough to get by or just as good, and just flat out wanting a 2011. Iv wanted one for a while and I figure if I buy it as a “competition gun” instead of just a range toy it’s more useful and I can use that to my advantage with the girlfriend. That’s sound logic right? Seriously though, Iv been looking at the shadow 2 and the TSO, and iv been reading up a lot on the Tactical Sport, although it’s not sold any more so that would be a used purchase.

I know the “*thumb rest [generic]*”s are popular in limited, is there an easy way install that on a shadow, or does it need to go to a gun smith to have the frame drilled and tapped? Or are they really not all that helpful?

If you want a 2011 pattern gun, that's reason enough to get one. For limited, you'll be better off shooting it in .40 for major. Anyway, you'll also get a much better gun from the smiths listed above instead of STI. And it won't need anything done once you get it besides putting ammo in.

4 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I was in that same boat running an M&P in Limited minor that was originally used in IDPA.

Finally ended up getting 2 used Edges that had been Dawson CRP guns.

Wish I hadn't wasted so much time waiting to pull the trigger getting into the 2011 platform. The learning curve was pretty short and I can't imagine shooting anything else.

I was in that same boat running an M&P in Limited minor that was originally used in IDPA.
Finally ended up getting 2 used Edges that had been Dawson CRP guns.
Wish I hadn't wasted so much time waiting to pull the trigger getting into the 2011 platform. The learning curve was pretty short and I can't imagine shooting anything else.

That’s kind of how I feel, I really want to get into one, and I think I’ll get more into USPSA since I just shoot every once in a while right now (but idpa every week), but the price tags are just kinda hard to swallow. Hopefully when I get my tax return I can start seriously looking for something. Right now I’m shooting a G43 in CO, but also picked up a 9mm SP-01 Tactical Iv been thinking about a spring kit into for production. But damn do I want a 2011!