Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011

Mitchster

Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase a new 2011 for competition and was looking at STI. I would not like to spend more than $4000. I know the custom route is an option. I was looking into the DVC Limited, the new Staccato XL, A DVC 3 gun or maybe the combat master. I would have it chambered in 9mm. I would like to use it for IDPA and USPSA. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you and I hope to hear from everyone. 

you'll have to read up on the uspsa and idpa equipment rules.  i don't think the dvc limited (or an older Edge) will be idpa legal with the longer bull barrel and long dust cover.

the dvc 3 gun should be legal in and perfect for idpa (bushing barrel) (and 3 gun) but in 9mm you'll be handicapped a little in scoring, shooting that in Limited in USPSA instead of .40.

i ended up getting two (well, then a few more): eagle bushing barrel 9mm for idpa (and 3 gun and anything steel), and an Edge in .40 for uspsa limited.  as mentioned, look in the classifieds.

4 minutes ago, Mitchster said:

Is there a particular reason not to go with STI?

They no longer make most of their competition guns, as has been mentioned, modifying them for competition is voiding warranties.  And if you have a problem, warranty work is taking forever.  They used to be the go-to entry level 2011, now you're better served looking at CK or Bul armory. 

15 hours ago, Mitchster said:

Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase a new 2011 for competition and was looking at STI. I would not like to spend more than $4000. I know the custom route is an option. I was looking into the DVC Limited, the new Staccato XL, A DVC 3 gun or maybe the combat master. I would have it chambered in 9mm. I would like to use it for IDPA and USPSA. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you and I hope to hear from everyone. 

If your budget is $4000 I will go the custom route.  I do not disagree with the previous comments about STI. At the end you are paying, your money...your decision.  

I really like the idea of the Staccato XL. It looks good on paper and I'll give STI the benefit of the doubt and say that it's probably reasonably well built.

I just can't get by the price. This isn't a custom gun, and when it comes down to it, they are turning out lots of these in production fashion.

At 3k+ you are right in the range for some very nice semi-customs where production numbers are vastly lower and more care is taken during the build.

Even 2500 would have been a better price point for this gun, but hey, if all the Timmys scoop these up at 3300, more power to them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Mitchster said:

If I went custom which company does everyone recommend?

As you see we all have our preferences. Atlas, Phoenix Trinity honcho. You will not go wrong with neither.  Let us know which route did you take. 

As a heads up, I'd read a bit into divisions in IDPA, USPSA, and steel challenge before choosing a gun if you're planning to shoot competition, and if you're planning to sink $4k into a gun

For USPSA, a 2011 puts you into limited division, where 40 S&W is the norm. I think 9mm (minor power factor) is a pretty big disadvantage

For Steel challenge, 2011 in 9mm is great I think + most configurations fine

For 3Gun, 2011 in 9mm is great + most configurations fine

For IDPA, I'm not as familiar but think a 2011 in 9mm would put you into enhanced service pistol (ESP) division. With that said the gun needs to fit in a 8.75" x 6" box, and some of the guns you listed may be a bit too big to be eligible. I think a DVC 3Gun and Staccato XL may be too long for example

14 hours ago, whan said:

As a heads up, I'd read a bit into divisions in IDPA, USPSA, and steel challenge before choosing a gun if you're planning to shoot competition, and if you're planning to sink $4k into a gun

For USPSA, a 2011 puts you into limited division, where 40 S&W is the norm. I think 9mm (minor power factor) is a pretty big disadvantage

For Steel challenge, 2011 in 9mm is great I think + most configurations fine

For 3Gun, 2011 in 9mm is great + most configurations fine

For IDPA, I'm not as familiar but think a 2011 in 9mm would put you into enhanced service pistol (ESP) division. With that said the gun needs to fit in a 8.75" x 6" box, and some of the guns you listed may be a bit too big to be eligible. I think a DVC 3Gun and Staccato XL may be too long for example

Be careful of IDPA rule 8.2.2.T which allows "Heavy or cone style barrels on firearms with barrel lengths of 4.25” or less."

That means a 5" cone style barrel isn't legal, which I believe would rule out an STI DVC-L.

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag

If you want a 9mm 2011, I really think the STI Staccato P is a good choice. I have one and the build quality is surprisingly nice. It shoots very comparable to my friend's hyperion and cost me less than half of what he paid.

You are new to the sport. Get a Staccato P. See what you like and don't like. Try other people's guns out at matches. Find what division you want to shoot in. Find what gun style you like. Do you prefer 4 inch, 4.5 inch, 5 inch, or 5.4 inch guns? Heavy or light? Full dust cover? Heavy dust cover? Half dust cover? Metal grip? Plastic? What trigger?

There are a million questions. Don't shell out 4k on your first 2011. Buy a cheap one and play with it, decide what you like, retire the cheap one as your back up and then go full custom (Atlas Gunworks, Phoenix Trinity, Venom Customs, Cheely Gunworks, or whatever are all great).

I already have a Kimber 1911 that is my work carry gun. I love the trigger of the 1911. I like the weight of a heavy gun. I looked around and it’s hard to find a cheap 2011. I found the rock island but it only comes with one mag and I heard it’s hard to find extras that work. Any suggestions on a “cheap” 2011?