Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness for self defense

Iedj

Need advice and opinions please. Is a Tangfolio/EAA Standard model in a  full size frame in either 45 acp or 10mm a reliable and durable weapon for ccw.  Would you trust your life with it. Glocks and Sigs are known to be trusted in self defense, but I could not find much information regarding a Witness as a combat/defensive handgun.  Any thoughts, please, will be very appreciated. Thank you. 

Since no one has opinioned, I will contribute something, fwiw.  I have a full size 45 (with 22 conversion) that I have shot a couple hundred rounds through.  100% out of the box as good as any others I have including 1911.  No experience with a 10mm but I wouldn't pick such a long load as I have read there can be more feed/eject issues.  I do have a 40 P for home defense with a streamlight.  Never thought about ccw with the tanfo so no help there, but if it is not too big/heavy for you, ok.  I have no experience with the striker fires, etc that everyone swears by.  If you decide to use it as your life defender, don't forget to choose your ammo and plunk and test fire some.  Reliability starts there.

I own 7 different Tanfoglios.  Mine have proven to be just as reliable as any of my other CZs, Caniks, Stars, Smith & Wessons, Berettas......you get the point. Tanfoglios are my favorite. Just fit my hand very well. The issue your going to run into is holster options. You will be hard to find many options well suited for CCW. 

Trust me this issue can be a pretty significant issue. I've carried a Star Firestar Plus for over a decade. Love the gun, but holster options are far and few between.  My newer carry, CZ 75 Compact has way more options. 

Just something to think about. 

Without a doubt the biggest downside to using Tanfos for self defense are a lack of holsters and a lack of sights. Does anyone make night sights for Tanfos?

I sometimes carry my Witness Steel 10mm in an Aliengear Hybrid Holster. I can check which mold I am using if you are interested, I believe it is either a Sig P220R or a G20.

The hybrid holster is a very comfortable way to carry a heavy gun; no issues with all day carry. However, it is obviously inferior to a proper molded kydex holster in a number of ways 

Lack of holsters can be completely negated by making your own.  Kydex sheets are cheap, add a few more bucks for a toaster oven and some parts to make a kydex press, a suitable sized piece of leather for the backer, $10 for belt clips and chicago screws.  30 minutes plus time to watch a couple of YouTube instructions and you've got a holster for anything.  Dirt simple to mold the kydex as one side and drill holes to attach to the leather.  For the cost of a typical commercially made one you can have the materials to make 3-4 of them plus mag holders.

Edited by yellowfin

• 4 weeks later...

I have two Tanfo pistols. My very early 10mm compact was on my hip for years. It's never bobbled on any 10 ammo from the load bench or a factory. Not long ago I moved over to a single stack 8 round S&W 3913 that I keep IWB. 

I would totally trust my Stock 2 in 9mm to everyday carry.  But it's a heavy brick for CCW and I'd hate to get it taken away if I were involved in a self-defense shooting.  I wouldn't cry if my Glock got taken away though.