Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI BROKEN BARREL

MIGUEL

23 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

There's no way to know for sure from the information that's been provided.  And the lab report cited by OP isn't definitive.  For example, even though it points to inclusions in the metal, that's always going to be the case at a microscopic level.  It doesn't address the possibility that even with the inclusions, the material fell within industry specifications for 416R, and therefore, was suitable for the application.  It also doesn't address the possibility that OP's ammo was a contributing factor.  It's very possible the OP's ammo subjected the metal to pressures that exceeded the limits of the material, and did so repeatedly.  And that resulted in a crack, that grew, and ultimately caused the barrel to fail.  There's noting in the lab report, or information that's been provided so far, that would contradict that scenario.  Also, from an evidentiary standpoint, if it were the material or manufacturing process, you'd have a number of failures from barrels that came from the same lot.  As far as anyone is aware, that hasn't been the case.  And what are the odds that of the small number of failures from this manufacturer's barrels, OP has two such examples, absent something on his end?

I agree with your line of thought, but the report does cite industry standards for pressure with firearm barrels of this type and what the sample barrel could maintain, as well as what pressure maintained one would expect for a normal barrel of this type to sustain prolonged use.

The reason this isn’t happening to everyone is because of how inconsistent the material providers are as a result of how difficult it is to trace issues back to them.  They may very well provide 9 out of 10 batches of material to the correct specification (they know manufacturers test random samples, but not all samples); but, it is much cheaper for them to not provide 10 out of 10 to the correct spec.  There are some well thought out articles on the subject.  

This is just something quick I found on Google, I’m using my phone and it isn’t easy for me to look these up.

https://m.slashdot.org/story/355234

if it happens to an expensive satellite . . .

Edited by Whoops!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep.  Spent pretty much my entire professional career on work related to federal government contracts.  So I'm very familiar with that type of thing.  But absent something like the Space Shuttle or some other super high value project, you're not going to get 100% material testing. Partly because pretty much no one wants to foot the cost for that.  So you have sampling.  And really, a relatively small sample size will render a confidence level of 97% or better.  For the vast majority of applications, that's going to be adequate.  And cost-effective.  Of course, that leaves open the possibility of a defect getting through, but it's a very small possibility.  Regarding the OP's issue, you're correct that the material could be the cause, and I'm really not disagreeing with that.  But, having spent 30 years or so building guns, and seeing all kinds of bad results from all kinds of events, I'd say that even if the material were defective, there's no way you'd have that kind of damage without excessive pressure or some other contributing factor.  I also don't think it's a coincidence that the OP has done this twice.

Yep.  Spent pretty much my entire professional career on work related to federal government contracts.  So I'm very familiar with that type of thing.  But absent something like the Space Shuttle or some other super high value project, you're not going to get 100% material testing. Partly because pretty much no one wants to foot the cost for that.  So you have sampling.  And really, a relatively small sample size will render a confidence level of 97% or better.  For the vast majority of applications, that's going to be adequate.  And cost-effective.  Of course, that leaves open the possibility of a defect getting through, but it's a very small possibility.  Regarding the OP's issue, you're correct that the material could be the cause, and I'm really not disagreeing with that.  But, having spent 30 years or so building guns, and seeing all kinds of bad results from all kinds of events, I'd say that even if the material were defective, there's no way you'd have that kind of damage without excessive pressure or some other contributing factor.  I also don't think it's a coincidence that the OP has done this twice.
Okay.

I guess what you are saying is op purchased a handgun that can not handle high pressure ammo.

To op, lesson learned

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I just happen to have some silver bullets.  All Texas Rangers are issued one box of Silver Bullets intended to last you for your entire career..........

Is this true?

5 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Nope, just kidding..Although I did carry .38 Supers for a few years and carried WInchester Silvertips, which are all silver.  I might have handed a few of those out to some kids......

Nicely done with the Silvertips!

• 1 month later...

Hello Everybody,

I Followed the thread with interest for two reasons :

- I use 38 Super Auto for my hobby with Tanfoglio

- Professionally, I make old cannon style (black powder) with tianium alloy and for the small parts with 416 stainless steel.

I suggest :

- Ask conformity certificate (metal material) from the barrel manufacturer

- Take an x-ray nondestructive testing (NDT) to see the defects in the metal. In Europe ~300 USD.

Alex.

Edited by ArtilleryShop

1 hour ago, ArtilleryShop said:

Hello Everybody,

I Followed the thread with interest for two reasons :

- I use 38 Super Auto for my hobby with Tanfoglio

- Professionally, I make old cannon style (black powder) with tianium alloy and for the small parts with 416 stainless steel.

I suggest :

- Ask conformity certificate (metal material) from the barrel manufacturer

- Take an x-ray nondestructive testing (NDT) to see the defects in the metal. In Europe ~300 USD.

Alex.

Did you read this from the first post or just at the end ?