Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI BROKEN BARREL

MIGUEL

8 hours ago, MIGUEL said:

I always talk about the real thing, not what I believe or think, here in Chile in the last 3 years 12 SVI pistols have entered, today there are 4 broken barrels, all people have been denied a guarantee, the percentage is 25 %, the reason they say is always the same, our pistols are made of the best materials. if you enter their website they say that their barrels are made of sae 4340, and my reality is that they added aisi 416. therefore to say that they always use the same material (defective aisi 416r), it would be to ensure that SVI deliberately misleads people offering one quality on their website and delivering another. on the other hand there is evidence that the aisi 416r does not work for barrels used in IPSC or USPSA.I hope I can have the peace of mind that SVI in my other 6 pistols that are not yet used put a good material, copy the emails above, but that still does not happen I have been waiting for technical certificates for several months to review and I still have no news

So have you sent the barrel and slide back as requested by Sandy Strayer/SV?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, 3GN said:

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would make sense for it to blow up the barrel then.  I'm not with Team Infinity and haven't been for years now.  But they make great guns/parts and there isn't anyone any smarter than Sandy when it comes to building hi-cap pistols.  

That would make sense for it to blow up the barrel then.  I'm not with Team Infinity and haven't been for years now.  But they make great guns/parts and there isn't anyone any smarter than Sandy when it comes to building hi-cap pistols.  

Sandy know math for sure...
e17af774905dee048da4c649c4f7e6e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A look at the case head of the round that was in chamber at the time would tell alot. If primer pocket is grossly oversize excess pressure. If normal looking except for missing front part of caseing barrel steel failure.

Years ago we intentionally blew up a brand-new 9mm 1911 to see the failure mode.  We fired a squib to stick a bullet in the barrel, then followed it up with a double-plus-charged round of fast powder and fired it with a long cord from behind armor.

The bull barrel cracked lengthwise.  Smoke came out all kinds of different places.  Flatted the extractor.  Slide was in pretty good shape-- rails bulged a little, but could be used again.   The bullets (or most of them) actually left the barrel.

From this one data point I surmise the larger damage as in the OP could have been caused by the barrel already being weakened before the final shot because otherwise the slide at least should have held together better.  The posted lab results imply this as well, citing a slow-growing crack that finally failed completely.  That would allow much more pressure to escape faster.

How and why that crack got started I don't have an opinion on.

9 hours ago, shred said:

Years ago we intentionally blew up a brand-new 9mm 1911 to see the failure mode.  We fired a squib to stick a bullet in the barrel, then followed it up with a double-plus-charged round of fast powder and fired it with a long cord from behind armor.

The bull barrel cracked lengthwise.  Smoke came out all kinds of different places.  Flatted the extractor.  Slide was in pretty good shape-- rails bulged a little, but could be used again.   The bullets (or most of them) actually left the barrel.

From this one data point I surmise the larger damage as in the OP could have been caused by the barrel already being weakened before the final shot because otherwise the slide at least should have held together better.  The posted lab results imply this as well, citing a slow-growing crack that finally failed completely.  That would allow much more pressure to escape faster.

How and why that crack got started I don't have an opinion on.

Do you remember if there was a visible indication in the barrel of where the squib bullet was?

9 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Do you remember if there was a visible indication in the barrel of where the squib bullet was?

the barrel broke, in the practice of unsheathing and precision to a plate at 25 meters, this was not a  squib , I have it in my possession barrels, I will take many photos and share them with you, 

This thread is eerily similar to what I was reading earlier about the "low number" 1903 Springfield.

Weak metal

Bad ammo

Bad luck

Only a few 

"Mine's fine."

Too bad the OP is far foreign and can't walk in and lay his barrel on Mr Strayer's desk.

I couldn't bring up the link to the lab report.

6 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

This thread is eerily similar to what I was reading earlier about the "low number" 1903 Springfield.

Weak metal

Bad ammo

Bad luck

Only a few 

"Mine's fine."

Too bad the OP is far foreign and can't walk in and lay his barrel on Mr Strayer's desk.

I couldn't bring up the link to the lab report.

The first thing to keep in mind is that SVI from the beginning rejected any possibility that the material was defective, without even seeing the barrel, hence my doubt and sent to analyze the material. It is for this reason that I request the quality certificates of the other 6 pistols.

55 minutes ago, MIGUEL said:

The first thing to keep in mind is that SVI from the beginning rejected any possibility that the material was defective, without even seeing the barrel, hence my doubt and sent to analyze the material. It is for this reason that I request the quality certificates of the other 6 pistols.

The google drive file wasn't working for me either so I can't view the contents.

So do you reject any possibility that this damage was due to user error and that the damage was caused by improperly reloaded ammo?

Edited by HIREDgun45

When I started shooting my first gun was a 45 commander with a comp .Apparentley the last round of the match was a squib. After lunch I had my wife shoot at a new target, one shot two holes on a clean target. The barsto Barrel was split from the chamber to the comp, both sides. Thankfully the slide wasn’t damaged. Unfortunately my wife decided she didn’t want to start shooting with me. It was was squib in my opinion.

44 minutes ago, MILDOTS said:

When I started shooting my first gun was a 45 commander with a comp .Apparentley the last round of the match was a squib. After lunch I had my wife shoot at a new target, one shot two holes on a clean target. The barsto Barrel was split from the chamber to the comp, both sides. Thankfully the slide wasn’t damaged. Unfortunately my wife decided she didn’t want to start shooting with me. It was was squib in my opinion.

There is an internal mark on the stretch marks, product of the squib in your pistol?

1 hour ago, HIREDgun45 said:

The google drive file wasn't working for me either so I can't view the contents.

So do you reject any possibility that this damage was due to user error and that the damage was caused by improperly reloaded ammo?

no place for a double charge in the brass

7 hours ago, MIGUEL said:

the barrel broke, in the practice of unsheathing and precision to a plate at 25 meters, this was not a  squib , I have it in my possession barrels, I will take many photos and share them with you, 

take some photos with a nikon d 7000, but they are not very clear I must get a good lens for close photos, it will take a  longer time.

31 minutes ago, MIGUEL said:

no place for a double charge in the brass

I didn't mention anything about a double charge.  I'm simply asking if your position is that there is no possibility that the ammo you used (during the life of the gun) caused a catastrophic failure.

Just now, HIREDgun45 said:

I didn't mention anything about a double charge.  I'm simply asking if your position is that there is no possibility that the ammo you used (during the life of the gun) caused a catastrophic failure.

definitely not, two weapons of different brands were fired in parallel, if ammunition is a problem it should affect the other weapon too,

On 2/2/2020 at 6:23 PM, MIGUEL said:

i buy six pistol and only used two , the two barrels is break , 1 standard pistol and 1 open pistols

what is the load for the standard pistol and do you use the same reloading press?

22 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

On the inside?  It was just cracked, and I don't know if anyone bothered to cut it open any further, but if they did, I wasn't around to see.

I've seen other blown-up barrels that have been sectioned or split completely apart and usually you can tell where the squib or barrel jacket was.

Can we get a working link to the report again? I'm not seeing what material is used on the SVI barrels on the website. Also in the original post it was stated that the material used to manufacture the barrels is 416R, That's the material that was recommended in the article that posted from schuemann. So was the original post wrong in saying that the barrel was made with 416R and it is actually made with 416? 

I really think it is irresponsible as a reloader to not consider that there could be quality issues with the ammo. 

It was also previously stated that bullet setback is not an issue with 38 super ( or was it 38 supercomp?) I have a hard time reconciling that in my engineering mind pressure should increase if volume decreases? IE the bullet is setback further in the case.

Edited by jschroep

How much setback exactly we're talking about?

Proper Open powders like 3N38 or SP2 are safe with compressed loads in 9x19.

9x19 is 13.3gr of H2O and .38 Super is 17.6gr.

I haven't filled .38 Super to the top but I shot 9x19 filled to the top with 3N38 and 115gn plated bullet - that's ~10.5gn of powder.

1 hour ago, arkadi said:

How much setback exactly we're talking about?

Proper Open powders like 3N38 or SP2 are safe with compressed loads in 9x19.

9x19 is 13.3gr of H2O and .38 Super is 17.6gr.

I haven't filled .38 Super to the top but I shot 9x19 filled to the top with 3N38 and 115gn plated bullet - that's ~10.5gn of powder.

The operator is loading 7.7 gr. enough room for bullet set back.