Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI BROKEN BARREL

MIGUEL

4 hours ago, MIGUEL said:

Here in Chile, all athletes recharge, and the only broken cannons are SVI, I use the same bullets, same tip, same powder in an open Akai gun and I have no problem.

It can’t be same for AKAI gun and SVI gun.

i use 1 time Borrowed ammo in my SV open gun . JJ Ragazza give me to I try his Armscor ammo prepared for his Tanfoglio gun. It’s super hot in my gun , give me lot of pressure in my gun. 
for SV open gun is best VV 3N38 powder and 125 gr bullet.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, 3GN said:

It can’t be same for AKAI gun and SVI gun.

i use 1 time Borrowed ammo in my SV open gun . JJ Ragazza give me to I try his Armscor ammo prepared for his Tanfoglio gun. It’s super hot in my gun , give me lot of pressure in my gun. 
for SV open gun is best VV 3N38 powder and 125 gr bullet.

Tanfo’s generally have shorter chambers than 2011s.

The Akai and SVI use generally the same formats and interchangeable ammo is very possible.

Just now, Whoops! said:

Los Tanfo generalmente tienen cámaras más cortas que las de 2011.

El Akai y el SVI utilizan generalmente los mismos formatos y es muy posible que haya munición intercambiable.

the same ammo , the same factor

Tanfo’s generally have shorter chambers than 2011s.

The Akai and SVI use generally the same formats and interchangeable ammo is very possible.

Possible but AKAI made short barreled gun with small pope holes on top or V configuration .
Pretty sure can’t be same .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, 3GN said:

Posible, pero AKAI hizo una pistola de cañón corto con pequeños agujeros de papa en la configuración superior o en V.
Bastante seguro no puede ser lo mismo.

Enviado desde mi iPhone usando Tapatalk

i used the same ammo , akai give 10 more feet

IMG_4144.jpg

Honestly, I’ve thought about this for a while.

if the barrel had failed due to normal use (it failed along it’s weakest point),  the separation of the barrel in and of itself could have caused the right circumstance for the rest of the powder to detonate, causing damage to the slide.

I can’t honestly say I know what happened here and I think we should give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/30/2020 at 2:31 PM, GrumpyOne said:
On 2/16/2020 at 2:34 PM, Posvar said:

Any more updates or info on this? 

Dear Friends
The rupture of the barrel of the SVI MM31683 gun was due to the fact that SVI manufactured the barrel with a different material than the SAE 4340 that it publishes on its website, this gun was broken because they used a defective AISI 416r. I send you the links of the study of material in English and Spanish

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1woyQT8y9Wqv9gbG-h2sti_S5JxkpU6JZ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YIMezMSPb14aCXrI20rG2yP1YqCmXOV2

40 minutes ago, yigal said:

👍👍👍 very pro .report.

i saw few failures on 1911 barrels made from same type of steel SS 416 with standard  factory 9 mm ammo. pf 140

in a minor factor that material probably works well

"Finally, it is considered that the inclusions of MnS axially aligned with the barrel along with the stress

level, facilitated the nucleation and propagation of cracks consistent with the observed longitudinal frac-
ture."

Pretty much what I was thinking.

14 hours ago, schaet said:

Put of curiosity has Infinity seen this report? I just bought 2 barrels from them (9 and 38). I'm wondering what they say? 

If they have the original in January and rev 1 in March 5, I think you should ask for the quality certificate of the material with which it was made and the FAT tests (factoring acceptance test) they have the obligation to certify the quality of all the products they sell, only their word is useless

13 hours ago, racegun9 said:

"Finally, it is considered that the inclusions of MnS axially aligned with the barrel along with the stress

level, facilitated the nucleation and propagation of cracks consistent with the observed longitudinal frac-
ture."

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Take a good look at that fracture

17.jpg

It looks like an overstressed steel fracture that was not caught in the early stages of the crack formation.  That's what the lab report says.  Too much pressure, not strong enough steel, small crack at first then grows explosively.

The argument is likely going to be around how much pressure was applied and for how long and what caused the initial crack.

56 minutes ago, shred said:

It looks like an overstressed steel fracture that was not caught in the early stages of the crack formation.  That's what the lab report says.  Too much pressure, not strong enough steel, small crack at first then grows explosively.

The argument is likely going to be around how much pressure was applied and for how long and what caused the initial crack.

looking I found this

Schuemann_Barrel_Steel.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, bret said:

where are the pictures of it with the brass that blew up?

Looks like an over charge or a squib then another round behind it.

the photos are at the beginning
What evidence do you observe to believe that it is a squeb
What evidence do you observe to believe that there is a lead behind another?

5 minutes ago, MIGUEL said:

where is the picture of the ruptured case?

On 1/31/2020 at 4:17 PM, ltdmstr said:

Doesn't really matter.  It's beyond repair, and clearly the failure wasn't caused by a manufacturer's defect.  Even if the barrel material were questionable, as OP suggests, there's no way you'd have that kind of damage without some type of massive pressure event.  Most likely a barrel obstruction.

he is trying to blame it on the barrel, that isn't what cause it, it was ammo related.

36 minutes ago, MIGUEL said:

the way the barrel came apart looks like either wrong powder, overcharged, or barrel obstruction.

You have not shown any pictures of the brass case, just the barrel.

There is a reason you will not let the manufacturer look at the barrel, because they will be able to tell what happened.

A weak barrel will not cause the basepad of the magazine to blow out.

Edited by bret
added info