Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC mag question?

A few questions, Glock AR9 platform...

1) How many mags in belt and what capacity?

2) How many mags do you carry to a match and what capacity? (I.e. how many 33+ rounders do I need?)

3) On a 33 round Glock mag:

+10 TTi vs TF Goliath +20

Thanks

J

Here’s what I carry:

1) 2 mags on a normal stage they are 33 round mags with TF extension so 41 rounds in ea mag, I’ll carry an extra just in case there is an issue with the 1st mag. For classifier stages I’ll take another mag if needed for reloads.

2) I take 4 mags to a match usually, 2 - 41 round mags a 27 and a 10 round mag 

3) I personally like the TF extension that makes the 33 round mag into a 41+1 mag, the Goliath is also a great option but it’s very pricey.

It depends on what kind of match and hit the targets. 

For a standard USPSA match a 41 rounder will do.  For a hosefest match, you will need the higher 50 above rounder.  Add a few 17 rounders as backup, since its easier to move than with the bigger stick on your belt. 

I carry one Goliath, which starts in the gun, and two regular old G17 mags with  +5 Taylor Freelance baseplates on my belt.  If there is a mandatory reload involved, I switch the Goliath to a standard 33 round mag, I don't like dropping the Goliath.

Really looking forward to these new Magpul drums.  I predict they will be the thing to have this summer, and will quickly become much more common than the goliath.

Thanks guys.
I already have a bunch of 17 rounders. Some with +6 and some with +3. So thinking about getting 2 33 rounders. But the question is how many to carry during a stage and what extensions? 
Our regular matches which I typically shoot limited/open are typical matches with 32 round stages. We also have monster matches (which I’m probably going to start doing pcc) that can have 35-45.

Currently thinking bringing some 17 rounders with the +6, getting a 33 with no basepad and a 33 with a Goliath. 
Thoughts? 

well uspsa has a max of 32 rounds per stage, of course you can miss, and then you have to plan for a malfunction.  i'll generally start with a glock 31 mag with a tf +10 extension for 41.  then a 33 or another 41 in my pouch (in the unfortunate event you malf right off the bat).

2 minutes ago, davsco said:

well uspsa has a max of 32 rounds per stage, of course you can miss, and then you have to plan for a malfunction.  i'll generally start with a glock 31 mag with a tf +10 extension for 41.  then a 33 or another 41 in my pouch (in the unfortunate event you malf right off the bat).

Actually

1.2.1.3 Long Courses – In Level III or higher matches must not require more than 32 rounds to complete.

Level one and two matches can have bigger stages. Not typical but i have seen a few.

14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Actually

1.2.1.3 Long Courses – In Level III or higher matches must not require more than 32 rounds to complete.

Level one and two matches can have bigger stages. Not typical but i have seen a few.

Yes we have seen them... thanks again Sarge

I use a MBX extension on a 31 round glock big stick for 47. Carry one 33 round glock mag as back up. If its a classifier with reload I will use a 17 rounder with a plus 5 as my primary and reload with a big stick down loaded for easier mag insertion. It is much easier to beer can a big stick for a reload than to try and shove a 17+5 in with magwell in place. By the time the mag gets locked in it is almost flush with the magwell.

38 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Actually

wow, learned something new, thanks!  i've done and seen some 'monster' matches but assumed they were outlaw.

I haven't actually shot a match yet, but here is my current thinking.  Figuring max round count is 32. I'm not likely to shoot a monster match, and if I do I wont really care about the results. They seem kind of silly to me.

I like 140's, they are easy to handle and aren't crazy long on my belt when running. I'll probably always keep two of them on my belt. My gun doesn't seem to like them crammed full, so I'll probably load them down 1-2 rounds. In theory I'll only need them on classifiers and in cases of serious malfunctions. 

I currently only have one big stick so I'll use that on most stages probably loaded to about 40, (I think it holds 43) At some point I'll set up another big stick, and pick up a few 33's. I could use the 33's on all the shorter stages. And a spare big stick would be good so I'm not relying on one mag to always work.

Ask me again if 3 or 4 months I may have a different idea.

Were those ALL makeup shots when you shot 80% of the targets 4 times, instead of 3? 😳

Rule #1 with PCC: Never begin without enough to shoot  the entire stage carried on your belt. Someday the starting mag in the gun will go down, you’ll fire tons of makeups, or have a serious malfunction.

You will need it eventually.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
56 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Were those ALL makeup shots when you shot 80% of the targets 4 times, instead of 3? 😳

Rule #1 with PCC: Never begin without enough to shoot  the entire stage carried on your belt. Someday the starting mag in the gun will go down, you’ll fire tons of makeups, or have a serious malfunction.

You will need it eventually.

+1 on carrying enough to shoot it twice.

• 4 weeks later...

Usually start with a Glock 31 round magazine and a TTI +10 extension loaded to 40 rounds.

Have a backup Glock 31 round magazine and a TF +3 extension loaded to 32 rounds...  I carry it in a long magazine pouch under my left arm with fairly tight tension...  I don't use it very often.