Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which one is the most reliable red optic these days? for Carry Optic

Yagi

Which Optic for Carry Optics Division?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the most reliable optic these days for Carry Optic?

• Cmore RTS2
    • Leupold Deltapoint
    • Trijicon SRO
    • Sig Romeo 3 Max

RTS2 and DPP have known, well-documented reliability concerns, when slide mounted (for CO).

SRO and Romeo 3 Max are too new to get a holistic view, IMO.

I voted for SRO because that's the one I want to work 😁

I run a Holosun 507c and have been very happy (and no reliability concerns) in over 6,000 rounds so far.

It could be said that all brands have some failures, I have had good performance from RTS2 while others have not and they now have a "V5 hardened" version out that I use on a few guns and I have had good and bad experiences with Leopold. Even my latest Sig Romeo3 Max had to go back, but the new one is awesome and it has quickly become my favorite RDS.

most will disagree with me, but that's ok....

I have had absolutely zero issues with my vortex venoms. The oldest one I have has more than 30 thousand rounds on it mounted to a Glock 17. the case/frame on it is all jacked up from brass hitting it. I have another one on my main X-five with about 20 thousand rounds on it, again zero issues. the 3rd is on my backup X-five, its got less than 200 rounds and I'm not expecting any issues.

I have 5 Burris FFIII 8 MOA, two RTS2v4 6 MOA, Railway 12 MOA, three DPP 2.5 MOA, a Sign Romeo 1 2 MOA, and 3 SRO 5 MOA.

I have had a problem with only on of the FFIIIs at 40,000 rounds slide mounted on my 1911 45 pistol the little plastic cover over the LED tunnel cracked and fell off.  The sight still worked fine.  Burris insisted I return it for replacement, so I did.

I've had no problems with the RTS2s, except they all eat batteries.  I can get exactly one steel challenge match out of a battery before the dot dims.  With one of them, the dot gets dimmer before the end of the match, even if I turn it off between stages.  One was slide mounted on my 1911 22 conversion unit.  Worked fine, except for batteries.

I've only had the Railway a month, so I can't speak to that.  It's mounted on my RFRO gun.  I can say I've shot three matches with the same battery and the dot is still bright.  My old one couldn't say that.

One of the DPPs had to go back because the dot kept turning off.  It was fixed and now works fine.  One (not the one that broke) was slide mounted on a 1911 22 conversion slide.  It worked fine in two seasons of SCSA (about 7,000 rounds).  I originally bought the DPPs because an M Open shooter I shoot with has had the original DP slide mounted on his major Open gun for four seasons.  It has never failed and never lost zero.

I've been shooting two of the SROs frame mounted on Open guns for two months, so I have no useful opinion on their longevity.  I do like them better than all of the others.  The third is waiting to go on a PCC if it ever arrives.

My RTS2 has worked 100% for over a year.

My SRO last 30 days before I sent it back 2 weeks ago.

I have 2 Burris FF3, one is still going, one is dead after 3+ years.

My 3+ year old RMR is working fine.

My Dr. Optic I bought last century is still going strong.

Edited by Umbrarian

To shoot CO for 1 season,  I used 2 CZs mounted with DPPs and a DPP in reserve. All DPPs have been back to Leopold once, 2 have been back twice. Leopold has been very good about prompt repairs but I went back to shooting Limited.

I am putting a SRO on my CZ Custom Accu-Shadow and plan to shoot steel with it this year.  I am really hoping it is going to work out. I love the dot, but gott'a have reliability. 

The Jan / Feb 2020 USPSA magazine has the current equipment survey posted on page 48.  A quick recap for 2019 for optic manufacturer:

Leupold had 36%

Sig Romeo 1 had 24%

Trijicon SRO had 15%

Vortex Venom had 9%

Holosun had 5%

All of that is history by the way and the SRO wasn't available for long when the survey was done.  I'm guessing that next year's Nationals will have an increase in the use of the SRO and the relatively new Romeo 3.  That's my prediction, lets see what happens.

Note:  I shoot the smaller lens Trijicon RMR.  I practice with my carry gun and the RMR is very dependable and robust.  Truth is they all have problems and I do own two RMRs just in case. 

If you read all the threads on the forum dealing with optic problems it would seem it is purely luck of the draw. 

That being said I have 1 railway, 2 RTS2, 2 FF3,  1 Vortex, and a Romoe3 Max With about 50 rounds fired. The only problem I’ve had is a broken battery tray in one of the RTS2. Of course it broke in the middle of a stage at Area 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone whos warrantied a sro notice they came back in a different box (bigger and red latch, 1st sro came in a box just like my rmr) and the battery cap has a red ring? The box doesn't mean much but I'm wondering if it means they've made updates to the sro 

9 hours ago, Chompion said:

Anyone whos warrantied a sro notice they came back in a different box (bigger and red latch, 1st sro came in a box just like my rmr) and the battery cap has a red ring? The box doesn't mean much but I'm wondering if it means they've made updates to the sro 

They’ve updated the battery cover. 

54 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

They’ve updated the battery cover. 

Do you know what exactly they’ve changed?

Mine blinked out a couple times when new, turns out the battery cap needed to be tightened even more although it already felt extremely tight. 

Surprised you did not include the Burris FF3. I’ve had 9 of them and never a failure. My first FF I owned, the battery lasted 7 years and it was slide mounted on a .40 with well over 100,000 rounds on it. 

oops, correction ... I did have one that had stripped threads on the battery cover.

Edited by igolfat8