Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What holster do you use for 3gun?

kcin

What holster is best suited for 3 Gun?  

I have been shooting USPSA for about 9 years and just recently started shooting a few multi gun matches. I have found that the drop offset holster that I've been using for production isn't the most ideal set up.  The few matches that I have attended the other competitors were pretty "Timmy tactical" so I really don't have a good idea of what serious competitors are actually using. 

I used my race holster for awhile.  Then there was a stage that made us go prone while the pistol was holstered.  Bad stage design, but I did it anyway and ground the living hell out of my front sight.  After that, I picked up a Thunder Holster from Hammer Armament for my 2011, and it does a fine job of protecting the gun and giving it a little more retention.  That guy's edge work on the Kydex is the best I've seen.  If you're shooting a more mainstream gun, the CompTac International is a great holster that will do anything you need it to do.  Some people like to go with Level 2 retention on these rigs, but I never really felt the need.

What is it about your current holster that you think is unsuitable? 

11 minutes ago, XDoctor said:

What is it about your current holster that you think is unsuitable? 

If I have to go prone on my strong side I would rather not lay on DOH.  

The current holster I've been using is the Double Alpha  PDR PRO-II.  Its a great holster for Production and SS but I just feel the drop offset will end up getting in the way.

1 hour ago, kcin said:

If I have to go prone on my strong side I would rather not lay on DOH.  

The current holster I've been using is the Double Alpha  PDR PRO-II.  Its a great holster for Production and SS but I just feel the drop offset will end up getting in the way.

It might be worth exploring just changing your mounting option.  I don't have hands on experience with the PDR, but it looks like you could install a TekLok in place of that belt slider.  That would suck it up closer to your body and make it ride higher. 

You will end up laying on your gear in multigun.  It just happens, and sometimes, and it can be uncomfortable.  I went to a Safariland belt last year with ELS on all my mag carriers and holster so I can move everything around before a stage, optimize the mags I'll need and get things out of the way based on my stage plan. 

I actually found out that Double Alpha sells a different mounting system that allows you mount the holster to the belt with out the drop offset.  And the best part is the fix is less than $15.

Edited by kcin

Safariland ALS (or SLS in one case) is the way to go IMHO.  Retention and protection are both second to none.

In USPSA, the first thing that happens when the buzzer goes off is that you perform your draw. Thus your holster only has to retain your pistol while you are standing around.  During 3-gun matches a whole Gob of stuff happens after the buzzer before you draw your pistol, and it's not just going prone.  I have bashed my holster into props hard enough to literally yank the mounting bolts out of my belt, so I don't mind paying a few extra dollars and having a holster that's not the most stylish thing on the Range.  

5 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Safariland ALS (or SLS in one case) is the way to go IMHO.  Retention and protection are both second to none.

In USPSA, the first thing that happens when the buzzer goes off is that you perform your draw. Thus your holster only has to retain your pistol while you are standing around.  During 3-gun matches a whole Gob of stuff happens after the buzzer before you draw your pistol, and it's not just going prone.  I have bashed my holster into props hard enough to literally yank the mounting bolts out of my belt, so I don't mind paying a few extra dollars and having a holster that's not the most stylish thing on the Range.  

Agreed. Draw speed means almost nothing in 3 gun, especially when your pistol is laying on the ground where you're rifle sling snagged it and you're done for the day.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, Archangelgt said:

Safariland GLS. Your grip naturally disengages the unlocking lever naturally.

+1 I’ve used the GLS for the last 2+ years with my CZ TS and it’s awesome, I never worry that the gun will come out while running, it’s also one of the smoothest drawing holsters I’ve tried.

For my TSO I have a Steadfast holsters USPSA limited style holster with very solid retention that I use for the majority of matches that I shoot. For matches with sling work, prone, obstacles, etc I have a modified GLS. Both are on the large Bladetech TMMS mount with the receiver on a BOSS Hanger so they are easy to switch around. 

What works best is somewhat gonna depend on what types of matches are in your area and what you enjoy. But the GLS is only $40 so its a safe place to start. Even if you end up mostly shooting bay style and want something different, the GLS will still come in handy on occasion. 

Blade-tech WRS. 

https://blade-tech.com/products/wrs-lv-2?variant=6067556220956

I don't always use the hood but I use it a lot.  I can roll around on the gun while prone or jump out of a vehicle or whatever, it's not coming out.  If the physicality factor is really high I previously ran two keeps on the belt also, but have switched to Arrendondo keeps to make sure that belt is going anywhere either.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 6:54 AM, verla said:

never have had a problem with my blade teck holding my 9mm STI Eagle- gun has not come out of the holster during lots of different 3 gun stages-i.e. 

I had a stage DQ in my first multi-gun match after having an (empty) pistol pop out of my Blade-Tech after low crawling through a drain pipe. I'll never run a holster without active retention for 3-gun again.

never crawled through a drain pipe with my blade tech at a 3 gun match- usually have been standing or kneeling during a match.

sometimes use a safariland holster 015 for my open pistol with C-More which has a lock on it.

Edited by verla
additional information

10 hours ago, BelRiose said:

I had a stage DQ in my first multi-gun match after having an (empty) pistol pop out of my Blade-Tech after low crawling through a drain pipe. I'll never run a holster without active retention for 3-gun again.

6 minutes ago, verla said:

never crawled through a drain pipe with my blade tech at a 3 gun match- usually have been standing or kneeling during a match.

sometimes use a safariland holster 015 for my open pistol with C-More which has a lock on it.

On 2/28/2020 at 7:29 AM, verla said:

This was at a match at Rockcastle in KY.  And it ended up that I was really lucky in my unluckiness. Since the stage setup didn't allow you to have ammo on you during the crawl and it was a charity match not run under 3GN or UML rules, they just gave me a stage DQ and let me shoot the rest of the match. 

The Blade-Tech is fine for 99% of matches, but since 3-Gun sometimes requires some athletic events I've adopted the "better safe than sorry" approach.

sounds like you have a good plan. I have shot the ProAm numerous times at Rockcastle in KY and have used my blade tech- no problems encountered- however, did not crawl through a drain pipe.