Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolvers not allowed in Production Optics?

Stevenb

I mean really, if you shot PPC and have a distinguished revolver laying around for about $260.00 you can add a mini scope mount and a small red dot sight and probably be very competitive in production optics. This might get some of the older PPC guys/gals back that can't see the sight any more. 

Guys, I've checked the 2020 Action Pistol rules and the 2020 Bianchi Cup match program, and I can't find anything on Production Optics.  Can you point me to where it's been added as a division?

14 hours ago, Greg in VA said:

I mean really, if you shot PPC and have a distinguished revolver laying around for about $260.00 you can add a mini scope mount and a small red dot sight and probably be very competitive in production optics. This might get some of the older PPC guys/gals back that can't see the sight any more. 

Hi Guys.

Thank you Greg.

I started to shoot PPC her in Toronto, 3 years ago. the guy running the matches knew I had issues with my vision for standard sights, my eyes are in great shape, but at 59 I have been wearing glasses for 50 years, so to allow me to shoot the PPC matches they created a new category, open optics. I had said I would shoot the matches for no score, but Scott would have non of that.

As it is, a high end PPC revolver with all the bells and whistles, is an open gun anyway, really for position sights, fully adjustable, and NO power factor.

I shoot my fully tricked out AP 681-c-1 and have a ball, shooting better than 1100 most of the time.

The old guys are moving on, as the rules have never changed to allow for the new technology, age, and in the GREAT USA unless your some type of police you cant win anything sort of.

So in the end, shoot what you got, have fun, be safe, and lets move forward with this sport.

I have a ball shooting PPC, and it helps most of the time with the AP shooting.

Thank you for your time

J. Russell Bryan

Canadian

AP / USPSA / PPC / ICORE 

On 1/29/2020 at 2:04 PM, Vizorn said:

Guys, I've checked the 2020 Action Pistol rules and the 2020 Bianchi Cup match program, and I can't find anything on Production Optics.  Can you point me to where it's been added as a division?

This is what I've been given

2020 NRA Action Pistol Rule Changes
ADDED - 3.2.4 Production Optic Firearm – Same configuration as a Production Firearm in Rule 3.2.2 with the exception of addition of an optic and that revolvers are not allowed. The following will apply:
a. Pistol must be able to fit into Production Box if optic is removed
b. Optical and or electrical sights must be attached only to the slide between the
ejection port and the rear of the slide

One thing I liked about AP was that if you choose to shoot Revolver you could in each gun category. Unlike PPC where you were required to have a semi - auto and Revolver for each gun category. When I stopped shooting PPC I was up to 8 handguns plus a shotgun. I think it’s even more now. Makes it hard for young cops to afford to get started in the sport. Up to now I could shoot Revolver in each category.  

It’s not like the Revolver is dominating in the Production category. When was the last time a Revolver won at the Bianchi Cup? Why keep them out. I would think you would want more participation not less. 

On 2/1/2020 at 2:30 PM, 1911onr said:

A six inch revo won't fit in the production box. Fine, but a four inch will. Still waiting for an answer to the OP.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Revolvers are exempt from the box in production division

from the rule book "To meet size requirements, handguns with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8-15/16” x 1-5/8” (revolvers exempt)."

10 hours ago, Stevenb said:

Revolvers are exempt from the box in production division

from the rule book "To meet size requirements, handguns with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8-15/16” x 1-5/8” (revolvers exempt)."

And now revolvers are prohibited in production optics and we still don't know why.  

• 2 years later...

There is no specific language in the CMP rules that exclude a revo in PO Division so they should be permitted at the BC only.   The NRA AP rules committee recently met and once again adding revolver to the PO Division was denied so its a no-go for NRA Sanctioned AP matches. Don't know why the committee ruled because there is a lack of 'transparency" regarding minutes of the meeting.  IMO it makes no sense to exclude revolvers from PO Division --primary objective is to get more people shooting AP so why specifically exclude a cadre of shooters who are revolver enthusiasts?   

Hi all

Interesting discussion. I have always used a semi auto for competition because that is what I had when I started shooting AP, but I do like revolvers and can see both sides of this. We are talking about two totally different operating systems and after careful consideration I can't see how you can fit an optic of any type to a revolver, and it not be in open class because of the way it is designed and built.

That being said, I would be interested in your comments, how would you put the case to have them included... :)

Grant J

What I would say is - Revolver is DA every shot, many autos are DA 1st shot, SA every other shot, or SA every shot. The advantage goes to the auto. Round count is 6 for everyone. No advantage to either. The dot sits in the same place on both. No advantage to either. A carry optic revo is no more or less expensive to set up than a carry optic auto. An Open class revo is way cheaper to set up than an Open class auto, revos can be in Open class. Advantage in Open to revolver. A revolver is still harder to shoot well than an auto. Advantage to auto.If revos were easier, everyone would still be shooting them.

I can't think of any reason why a revolver can't be allowed in the PO division, other than someone didn't think of revos when they wrote the rules about the slide part. Many auto shooters just don't think of revo as a viable option. A lot of ICORE and Steel Challenge people I know have a revo with a dot that might give AP a try if allowed to use what they have. The shooting community is small enough without excluding some of them.

Edited by Toolguy

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2022 at 3:33 AM, GrantJ said:

Hi all

Interesting discussion. I have always used a semi auto for competition because that is what I had when I started shooting AP, but I do like revolvers and can see both sides of this. We are talking about two totally different operating systems and after careful consideration I can't see how you can fit an optic of any type to a revolver, and it not be in open class because of the way it is designed and built.

That being said, I would be interested in your comments, how would you put the case to have them included... :)

Grant J

it still has to comply with the other PD rules, so no big grips/prone pads, no wings, no comps. I guess you could bolt on a mover base to fit the optic though

• 1 month later...

OK, time to chime in again... :)

Most production optic guns are striker fired these days so trigger pull, while a little shorter, would not be a significant difference given some of the trick new trigger groups out there now for Revo's. So, it really comes down to defining the optic, remember the old "Coke Cans" from days gone by. Defining what would, or would not, be allowed would be challenging and open up a whole new can of worms.

Grant J