Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What happened?

m700

My buddy firing bone stock x5 ran a couple mags and than had a case seperate at the base and blow the extractor off the gun. His loads are close to factory PF. He was wearing gloves, his gloves show burns on trigger finger (a line going perpendicular from the gun). He was hit with shrapnel but had glasses and no damage was done. Case is stuck in chamber and belled flush with ramp/outer chamber. The case base  was found on the ground. I didnt think to take pictures sorry.

Thoughts?  I dont think it was a double charge nothing sounded different there was no excess recoil(less actually). Out of battery was my thought or an excessively worn case possibly.

Poor guy had a cam pin shear on his pof last week and this happen this week.

I had a similar event with my Legion. 130pf reloads, I fired a round that felt very light, hardly any recoil, and sounded like a case with hardly any powder, but not quite a squib. I stopped myself, ULSC, and went to the safe area to check the bore. No bullet, but I noticed the extractor was missing from the slide. Went back on the range, found the mangled case and the extractor on the floor. Case had blown out at the web, blew out the extractor, but still ejected the empty. I forget the headstamp.

11 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Search around for "Sig 320 out of battery" and/or "Sig 320 unsupported chamber". 

That was my thought. just wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts.

Im not sure of anything when it comes to his loads, just PF

I don't reload and have never had this happen with my X5. 

I have read of this happening and a possible cause of being stepped brass that is unknowingly loaded to normal brass specs. I really don't know what that means, but it somehow effects the pressure.

Just passing along some info I saw on the net, so you know it must be true!!  😎

39 minutes ago, LawDog324 said:

I have read of this happening and a possible cause of being stepped brass that is unknowingly loaded to normal brass specs. I really don't know what that means, but it somehow effects the pressure.

Just passing along some info I saw on the net, so you know it must be true!!  😎

I've never had a stepped brass failure in my open pistol,  (95gr bullet, 1440 fps) but the same ammo (1850 FPS) in my 10.5" barrel PCC nearly 100% will fail

Edited by toothandnail

Just passing along some info I saw on the net, so you know it must be true!!  [emoji41]
Stepped brass has a pledge on the inside of the case. It reduces the volume of the case. So your load will have less room raising the pressure. It's only made by one manufacturer I think. I believe the idea was to need less powder when loading saving them a fraction of a cent. But it seems they use more brass so I'm not sure what they would be saving. Perhaps they are going for velocity/performance

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, m700 said:

Stepped brass has a pledge on the inside of the case. It reduces the volume of the case. So your load will have less room raising the pressure. It's only made by one manufacturer I think. I believe the idea was to need less powder when loading saving them a fraction of a cent. But it seems they use more brass so I'm not sure what they would be saving. Perhaps they are going for velocity/performance

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Stepped brass “normally” cracks and separates in a perfect circle leaving the front part of the case in the chamber. They don’t blow up and you don’t know anything’s wrong until the next round won’t chamber.

I don’t think they are over pressure. There is just a stress point that fails

Sorry, glad no one was hurt.

Proper loading technique and powders.

Some folks have had problems  no doubt but military runs NATO spec ammo with no problems which is higher pf than most of us shoot.

Yikes, glad there were no injuries.  

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently but I have a pair of X5's I shoot approximately 800 rounds a week with along with an XFull that I carry on duty and shoot factory ammo and an X-Compact I carry off duty which also gets factory ammo.  Out of all these guns with reloads (blue bullets and titegroup) and factory ammo, I've never seen a single case with any noticeable bulge, let alone one explode.  I hope I continue to be lucky, this all looks pretty bad.  

I have not either. I have about 10k on my first and have yet to see any problems. But i can understand that if the case bulges in the slightest and gets pushed back repeatedly it will weaken a case until there is a problem. If this was a case issue I highly doubt it was its first reloading, unless it was a low quality case that had soft. If it was a double charge I would have expected a louder bang

4 minutes ago, hitman_usmc said:

Yikes, glad there were no injuries.  

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently but I have a pair of X5's I shoot approximately 800 rounds a week with along with an XFull that I carry on duty and shoot factory ammo and an X-Compact I carry off duty which also gets factory ammo.  Out of all these guns with reloads (blue bullets and titegroup) and factory ammo, I've never seen a single case with any noticeable bulge, let alone one explode.  I hope I continue to be lucky, this all looks pretty bad.  

7 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Sorry, glad no one was hurt.

Proper loading technique and powders.

Some folks have had problems  no doubt but military runs NATO spec ammo with no problems which is higher pf than most of us shoot.

X5 has a different chamber to the others.