Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 approved for Single Stack?

bret

doubt it will pass but Troy just approved a 2011 for use in single stack, so you never know.

I know STI has made claims regarding the single stack grip being legal in singlestack division, but I've not seen anything from NROI. Until I do, there won't be any allowed at the match I'm responsible for.

I know STI has made claims regarding the single stack grip being legal in singlestack division, but I've not seen anything from NROI. Until I do, there won't be any allowed at the match I'm responsible for. 

I stand corrected. Troy replied at 10 pm on a Sunday. The STI Staccato has a metal frame and a plastic grip, satisfying the special requirements of Appendix D5.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, PatJones said:

I stand corrected. Troy replied at 10 pm on a Sunday. The STI Staccato has a metal frame and a plastic grip, satisfying the special requirements of Appendix D5.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wow. I get that it’s a metal frame “technically”. But how did this get ignored?

” have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning”

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Wow. I get that it’s a metal frame “technically”. But how did this get ignored?

” have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning”

The whole BOD voted on it at the beginning of 2019.  It's in the minutes.  Feb meeting, item #15.

What does the Stacattor R have it's basis in if it's not the 1911?  It's sure not a clean-sheet design.

1 hour ago, shred said:

The whole BOD voted on it at the beginning of 2019.  It's in the minutes.  Feb meeting, item #15.

What does the Stacattor R have it's basis in if it's not the 1911?  It's sure not a clean-sheet design.

It is a 2011, even says it on the frame.

A 2011 is a modular gripped gun, it is not a 1911.

Again, what does it have it's BASIS in?  The rule says "type" and "basis" not "Must be exactly 1911 or pound sand".

Special conditions:Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning.

Personally I think the BOD made the right call on it.  The only thing non-1911 is the grip section of the frame, and even that still takes 1911 magazines, triggers, mag catches, springs, pins, and all but grips and bushings. 

I don't think it's going to make a dime's worth of difference in the overall results either.  Y'all are free to bring it up to your AD and try to get it overturned if you want.

9 minutes ago, shred said:

Again, what does it have it's BASIS in?  The rule says "type" and "basis" not "Must be exactly 1911 or pound sand".

Personally I think the BOD made the right call on it.  The only thing non-1911 is the grip section of the frame, and even that still takes 1911 magazines, triggers, mag catches, springs, pins, and all but grips and bushings. 

I don't think it's going to make a dime's worth of difference in the overall results either.  Y'all are free to bring it up to your AD and try to get it overturned if you want.

I know it won't make a difference in results. BUT, even an above average RO is going to think it's illegal based on traditional 1911 frame design. That in and of itself should show that it's not a good decision. At the very least it's going to be confusing and will screw a shooter in the end because of getting told to leave the line while the RM is called. If they want to let 2011 in SS then the wording needs adjusted

Why is the above average RO going to call the RM and wait for them to show up instead of letting the shooter shoot and sorting out the division issue later?

That's below-average RO behavior.

Anyone that shoots one can carry a copy of the BOD minutes with them if they really want.  It'll be like the old days of screen-shot in the range-bag rulings.

Are ROs supposed to stop people shooting "Infinity"s or "Pointman"'s in single stack because they don't say "1911" on the side and call the RM to be sure???

7 minutes ago, shred said:

Why is the above average RO going to call the RM and wait for them to show up instead of letting the shooter shoot and sorting out the division issue later?

That's below-average RO behavior.

Anyone that shoots one can carry a copy of the BOD minutes with them if they really want.  It'll be like the old days of screen-shot in the range-bag rulings.

A decent RO will make sure a competitors gear is legal before shooting a stage so they don't 0 the stage, get bumped to open or shoot for no score.

A couple years ago i worked Chrono at Red Dot Nationals, a new PCC shooter ended up shooting for no score since he had drop mag pouches, a decent RO would have noticed this, informed the shooter and called the RM to help the competitor , instead of allowing him to shoot the stage, then get the RM involved, by then it is too late to correct the issue.

1. 6.2.3  Prior to the commencement of a match, each competitor must declare one Division for score. Match Officials should check holsters and other competitor equipment for compliance with the declared Division prior to the competitor making an attempt at any of the courses of fire.

Just now, Racinready300ex said:

Someone should make a mag that on the outside is the same size as a 2011 mag, but inside it's single stack. Then we'll have lots of 2011 options, and we can have a 2011 double stack grip with a magwell and fit in the box.

Yep. Just go all out

6 hours ago, shred said:

Makes no difference to me as a SS Shooter as long as its single stack bushing gun and makes weight.

But ...

Appendix D line 22 says no external weights to reduce recoil. My guess this is part and parcel of the rule against full length dust cover.

Cone and flanged barrels are internal weight and prohibited as well.

Will a Poly grip may give way to tungsten guide rod? Or using the front part of a 2 piece TGR mixed with steel rear section?

Should Tungsten Guide rods be included in the Prohibited parts/modification list in App D?

....or is it a concern.

1 hour ago, WaJim said:

Should Tungsten Guide rods be included in the Prohibited parts/modification list in App D?

....or is it a concern.

Tungsten rods can make weight with Major 1911s in .45.  I don't find them very useful in Minor 1911s.

IPSC lets you heavy-up a "Classic" pistol as much as you want.  I did a bunch of screwing around before the IPSC Pan Americans where I shot Minor and decided I liked heavy brass grips and didn't like the tungsten guide rod.   YMMV.

Maybe that all changes with a Stacatto R, but I'm not likely to find out anytime soon.  I like my steel 1911s. 

I think the 'any bushing counts as a bushing" ruling is much worse than letting plastic-gripped guns in.

It seems to me like the way the rules are written this should be allowed. It has a metal frame and the action is clearly based on the 1911 design. 

STI has pretty much s#!t on the competition community and gone full timmy, so in the end, this doesn't matter at all and if you buy one it will just be another reason for us to make fun of you skinny gun shooters.