Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 squeaky

I have chased the squeak down to the black device that pushes the casing into the shell holder. Anyone have any ideas of how to remove to clean? I have loaded about 10k rounds on it and it just started making a noise.

picture below. 

A9199F4B-30BD-44D7-B40B-D72C6EE5742A.jpeg

Edited by bubba04

Most problems I've had with the 650 have been solved by disassembling the mechanism involved, cleaning, reassembling.

That usually does the trick.

That also allows you to discover broken parts that might otherwise not be obvious.

It's been a while since I disassembled the case feed slide so I hesitate to give detailed feedback so take the following with a grain of salt:

There is an internal spring that is held in place by a hex headed stopper (the "slide spring pin") at the rear of the assembly.

That needs to be removed to disassemble the unit.

That spring is under a bit of tension so the case feed unit needs to be supported as the slide spring pin is unscrewed or it will launch once you get down to the last turn of the wrench.

Holding the case feed unit forward is also necessary to give access to the slide spring pin.

That assembly can wear internally where the spring engages the unit. I've had to replace mine on two occasions. That spring will soften with time as well and need to be replaced at some point.

The slide is a fairly loose fit to the platform. It should move freely.

You can pull the slide out laterally with your fingers without operating the lever.

Pull it out and then release it and let the internal spring carry it back towards the shell plate.

If it is hesitant to return to it's static position then something isn't right.

I think pulling it off the machine is your next step unless somebody has another suggestion.

image.png.c2bd2aba044ca1d16b0903991b0f5057.png

To take it apart, remove bolt 9 and that will allow you to take off 1. You can then get at the top of 15 which is a hex head screw post that you can turn out. Spring 13 puts pressure on it so watch for flying parts.

Last time I took mine apart I found the following:

CaseInsertSlideSpring.thumb.jpg.7ed5177328da78a2bbe1b47d502d9125.jpg

It still worked but not all that well!

49 minutes ago, Jsjac said:

My Dillon 650 was squeaking also. It was tricky for me to find the noise. It was coming from the roller handle. A couple drops of oil and the noise is gone. 

I was going to say this earlier. The only squeak my 650 ever gets is the aluminium roller handle. I spray a shot of OS in there and quiets right down

On 1/27/2020 at 4:04 PM, ChuckS said:

image.png.c2bd2aba044ca1d16b0903991b0f5057.png

To take it apart, remove bolt 9 and that will allow you to take off 1. You can then get at the top of 15 which is a hex head screw post that you can turn out. Spring 13 puts pressure on it so watch for flying parts.

Last time I took mine apart I found the following:

CaseInsertSlideSpring.thumb.jpg.7ed5177328da78a2bbe1b47d502d9125.jpg

It still worked but not all that well!

yep. Been there and got the Tshirt.