Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Palmetto AR-V PCC announced.


Recommended Posts

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/shot-show-the-palmetto-state-armory-ar-v-rifle/

 

CZ Scorpion magazine fed AR PCC.  I think the mag dropping may be an issue for PCC division.  I am able to hit my Scorpion mag release with my trigger finger (intentionally) but is it worth it for what may be a better magazine insertion angle over Glock mag lowers?

 

Any thoughts?  I like new guns and may own one of these but...

Edited by dogtired
Link to comment
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already bit on the AKV, so I’m looking forward to the ARV. Taccom came out with a replacement lever mag release for the AKV, I’d bet they’ll do the same for the ARV. I think there’s a relationship between the companies; the barrel extension I’ve seen on the AKV rifle version appears to be the Taccom extension, complete with single port comp. Which is good, Taccom is a leader in PCC accessories. The PSA mags are excellent, metal feed lips, 35 rds., 15 rd. extension available, $13.99 (looking at you Sig). I for one can’t wait.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, OPENB said:

I already bit on the AKV, so I’m looking forward to the ARV. Taccom came out with a replacement lever mag release for the AKV, I’d bet they’ll do the same for the ARV. I think there’s a relationship between the companies; the barrel extension I’ve seen on the AKV rifle version appears to be the Taccom extension, complete with single port comp. Which is good, Taccom is a leader in PCC accessories. The PSA mags are excellent, metal feed lips, 35 rds., 15 rd. extension available, $13.99 (looking at you Sig). I for one can’t wait.

I think the common link is Lead Star Arms. 

Link to comment

IMHO the Glock mag insertion angle is optimal for USPSA classifier speed reloads. It looks like ass, but for our game it works well. Pointy double-stack/single-feed format, solid construction and low price are the icing on the cake. I am not seeing the advantage of the Scorpion mag. 

Edited by StealthyBlagga
Link to comment
10 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

IMHO the Glock mag insertion angle is optimal for USPSA classifier speed reloads. It looks like ass, but for our game it works well. Pointy double-stack/single-feed format, solid construction and low price are the icing on the cake. I am not seeing the advantage of the Scorpion mag. 

 

As a user of previously Colt, then Glock, and now MPX mags, this feels like a solution looking for a problem. Are there Scorpion guys who will want an AR-style gun for USPSA/IDPA without buying new mags? Sure, but seems like an awfully small segment. Not like Glock mags are terribly expensive or that you need more than a few to get started competing. 

 

I also fail to see how an MPX mag w/ factory capacity for $10 cheaper is a win. The MPX mag is (arguably) in the top tier of PCC mags ever made, not much to be gained other than cheap mags I can use for practice. 

Link to comment
  • 8 months later...

Something to think about with the ARV.....taking the same magazine as the AKV, you can buy +15 round extensions right from PSA (50 rounds!!) and TACCOM is offering a +25 round extension and will be offering an aluminum coupler (and long spring) to splice 2 -35 round mags to get 70 rounds. The ARV is gonna be a winner IMHO for reliability and capacity in the very near future!!

Link to comment
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 9:08 AM, Acer2428 said:

 

As a user of previously Colt, then Glock, and now MPX mags, this feels like a solution looking for a problem. Are there Scorpion guys who will want an AR-style gun for USPSA/IDPA without buying new mags? Sure, but seems like an awfully small segment. Not like Glock mags are terribly expensive or that you need more than a few to get started competing. 

 

I also fail to see how an MPX mag w/ factory capacity for $10 cheaper is a win. The MPX mag is (arguably) in the top tier of PCC mags ever made, not much to be gained other than cheap mags I can use for practice. 


The THRiL mags are 35 round, so not factory capacity. I got in on their pre-order and they had several delays along the way, so when I got my mags last year they sent me 4 instead of 2. So I got 4 35rd mags for the price of 2. Oh, AND 3 of their AR mags were included in the deal as well, and those have been excellent mags for me that haven’t caused a single malfunction in any of my rifles. They also proactively communicated with us along the way about the unforeseen issues that caused the delays. The company has treated me so well that they made me a lifelong customer. 
 

These guys also designed the original MPX mags and the L5AWM. Being as Lancer is in Eastern PA and so is THRiL, I’m guessing it’s a group of guys who left the company and struck out on their own. So it could be argued that these are actually improved mags because they got to take another crack at their previous designs. I will say the stippling in the finger grooves on the front of the mag and the rubber-coated baseplate are definitely improvements. 
 

Unfortunately my MPX has been out of commission getting the BCG polished and TiN’d until last week, so I haven’t gotten to test the mags for full functionality yet, but I will the next time I’m out there sometime in the next 2 weeks. 

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

So I built an AR-V from the receiver set. Using the lightweight stainless PSA 16" barrel. It has been malfunction free since day 1. I installed a regular flat CMC trigger in it and put a holosun 510 on top. I've got right at 1,000 rounds through it so far. I have right at $1200 in it with the dot and trigger. I'm very happy with it so far. 

 

Notes:

-The throat length was pretty short on the barrel but PSA agreed to fix it for free and paid shipping both ways. Took less than a week to get it back. 

 

-The bolt catch doesn't hold the bolt back securely enough. You can bump the gun with your hand and the bolt will go forward. Not an issue in USPSA but can be a bummer in IDPA if you are expecting to hit the bolt release but then release you need to rack the charging handle. 

 

-The mags are great. I haven't had to clean them yet and they are dirt cheap. I have 5 of the PSA mags and i have had to do some light sanding to get them to all drop free(empty). They all dropped free with ammo in them.  Magpul mags and factory mags have all been flawless as well. 

 

I've been running a heavy AR9 buffer and standard carbine spring but will be installing a blitzkrieg buffer and trying that later today. 

 

Link to comment

I bought the ARV essential receiver kit with bolt. Installed a TACCOM XLW super feed barrel with the ramp removed, but modified the bolt to use the Super Feed option. Been using it for a few weeks now with zero issues on feeding what so ever.

Over here at TACCOM we are designing and making a funnel, extended magazine release and bolt release......not sure when they will be in the mill.......too dang busy at the moment. 

 

Really like the platform.......been running solid with the PSA 35 and 50 round magazines.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, TRUBL said:

I bought the ARV essential receiver kit with bolt. Installed a TACCOM XLW super feed barrel with the ramp removed, but modified the bolt to use the Super Feed option. Been using it for a few weeks now with zero issues on feeding what so ever.

Over here at TACCOM we are designing and making a funnel, extended magazine release and bolt release......not sure when they will be in the mill.......too dang busy at the moment. 

 

Really like the platform.......been running solid with the PSA 35 and 50 round magazines.

i'll be your 2nd customer on a magwell when they get ready

Link to comment
19 hours ago, TRUBL said:

I bought the ARV essential receiver kit with bolt. Installed a TACCOM XLW super feed barrel with the ramp removed, but modified the bolt to use the Super Feed option. Been using it for a few weeks now with zero issues on feeding what so ever.

Over here at TACCOM we are designing and making a funnel, extended magazine release and bolt release......not sure when they will be in the mill.......too dang busy at the moment. 

 

Really like the platform.......been running solid with the PSA 35 and 50 round magazines.

 

And as soon as I can get some scratch together you know I'll be getting your barrel and sending you the bolt.  But not there yet...

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Just ordered my AR-V builder kit.  Already have a bunch of stuff ready for it.  Just need barrel and handguard now.  I wonder where I'm going to get those from?  @TRUBL any idea where I can get a good barrel, handguard and recoil system?  🤔😋

Link to comment
18 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

Just ordered my AR-V builder kit.  Already have a bunch of stuff ready for it.  Just need barrel and handguard now.  I wonder where I'm going to get those from?  @TRUBL any idea where I can get a good barrel, handguard and recoil system?  🤔😋

I know a place!! Soooo.....if you get any of our barrels, make sure that we remove the lower feed ramp as the ARV lower actually has a kick butt feed ramp already. We can modify your bolt (free of charge). And we have all the rest as you know.

Link to comment

I have the setup AR-V kit with TACCOM XLW barrel, hand guard and adjustable buffer system running in a A5 tube with Timney trigger.  First time out finished 8th out of 25 using a crappy sight, not one hiccup! Sight already gone -LOL Went to lead gun in stable.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Texaspaul said:

I have the setup AR-V kit with TACCOM XLW barrel, hand guard and adjustable buffer system running in a A5 tube with Timney trigger.  First time out finished 8th out of 25 using a crappy sight, not one hiccup! Sight already gone -LOL Went to lead gun in stable.

 

Stop...youre making me want one....😅

Link to comment
22 hours ago, Texaspaul said:

I have the setup AR-V kit with TACCOM XLW barrel, hand guard and adjustable buffer system running in a A5 tube with Timney trigger.  First time out finished 8th out of 25 using a crappy sight, not one hiccup! Sight already gone -LOL Went to lead gun in stable.

Why the XLW over the ULW?  just weight?

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...