Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bul Armory

gearguywb

STP seems to have some pretty good base models, and they do custom work too.

Maybe.... get a Bul or STP and let a gunsmith see if it needs anything. For example, I have an almost local guy who imports STI, and offers a trigger job as a "standard option" and other work on request.

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 7:21 PM, BLUEPSTU said:

I just purchased a BUl armory SAS II ultralight. Pretty impressed so far. It is great having that small of a carry gun with a full-size 2011 grip that holds 19 rounds. With all of the Bul Armory guns I have held, it seems it will be hard to find a better value for the money.

How long have you had it? How does is shoot? Where did you find one to buy? Sti mags fit?  I'm in the market for a new carry gun and they look like a decent deal but I have never handled one. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I got it around the Christmas holidays. It shoots very good. It is a light gun but the recoil is not bad since you have a full size grip. Also, I believe they advertise it as a 3.5-4 lb trigger but mine is 2lb 2oz. :)  Others would not like that light of a trigger on a carry gun but it doesn't bother me though as it is double the weight of some of my comp guns.They do make a 15 round version that has a grip that is about 1 inch shorter than the 19 round version.  I got it from gparms.com. The owner of the site is Gilbert Perez and he is very helpful and will answer all your questions. STI mags do not fit. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by BLUEPSTU

8 hours ago, gator11 said:

How long have you had it? How does is shoot? Where did you find one to buy? Sti mags fit?  I'm in the market for a new carry gun and they look like a decent deal but I have never handled one. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Here is a pic. The grip does not look as huge compared to the rest of the gun as it does in this pic.

IMG_2520.jpg

Edited by BLUEPSTU

I have a radical 5.4, It is my first 2011. It eats 1.125, 1.180 and 1.200 without an issue. I'm very happy with it thus far. Factory mags with TT pads and the factory performance spring&follower kit hold 22 rounds of 40. Pressing down on the barrel hood like chalee mentioned earlier in the thread does not produce any movement at all, it feels like pressing on a brick. Waiting on the steel grips to arrive stateside, then it will be perfect.

20200414_202006 resize.jpg

20200414_202102 resize.jpg

46 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I got it around the Christmas holidays. It shoots very good. It is a light gun but the recoil is not bad since you have a full size grip. Also, I believe they advertise it as a 3.5-4 lb trigger but mine is 2lb 2oz. :)  Others would not like that light of a trigger on a carry gun but it doesn't bother me though as it is double the weight of some of my comp guns.They do make a 15 round version that has a grip that is about 1 inch shorter than the 19 round version.  I got it from gparms.com. The owner of the site is Gilbert Perez and he is very helpful and will answer all your questions. STI mags do not fit. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for the information. Looks like a winner price wise. I'll do some more investigating and if I have any questions I'll reach out. Thanks again for helping out. 

49 minutes ago, Wiseguy724 said:

I have a radical 5.4, It is my first 2011. It eats 1.125, 1.180 and 1.200 without an issue. I'm very happy with it thus far. Factory mags with TT pads and the factory performance spring&follower kit hold 22 rounds of 40. Pressing down on the barrel hood like chalee mentioned earlier in the thread does not produce any movement at all, it feels like pressing on a brick. Waiting on the steel grips to arrive stateside, then it will be perfect.

20200414_202006 resize.jpg

20200414_202102 resize.jpg

I think they may take the place of STi for factory comp guns at a reasonable price point now that STi went tactical. Your review certainly makes it sound like a viable alternative. Thanks for the review. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, gator11 said:

On 4/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, BLUEPSTU said:

I just picked up a Bul Ultralight with a compact grip after catching the 2011 bug from picking up a Staccato C2 in February (it was my first 2011).  I really like the gun, and I've already ordered a Viper with the full size grip.  Bul's 15-round compact grip is actually 5mm shorter than STI's compact grip, but since this is an "Officer" size 2011 I felt that it needed to be even shorter... so... dremel, drill press, belt sander, various files, determination, and an afternoon bored at home = chopped grip and shortened magazines for a flush fit.  The Bul 2011 compact magazines are about the only thing I don't like about this handgun (based on the RIA/Para double stack mags), because the magazine base plates are a pain to remove and reattach compared to the full-size mags.  However, that attachment method makes it relatively easy to shorten the magazine body and drill new holes for the base plate mounting tabs.  The base plates are also unnecessarily long at the front lip, so I shortened that front lip for better aesthetics. I cut 0.300" off the magazine body and the grip for a flush fit when the magazine is inserted. The shortened magazines now only hold 14 rounds, but I believe the gun looks better and conceals better. In addition to chopping the grip and beveling the inside of the newly cut magazine opening, I also rounded off the sharp edges on each side of the bottom of the trigger guard to make it more comfortable when gripping the gun.

IMG_20200512_201512_868.jpg

Edited by BrazeauRacing

2 hours ago, BrazeauRacing said:

I just picked up a Bul Ultralight with a compact grip after catching the 2011 bug from picking up a Staccato C2 in February (it was my first 2011).  I really like the gun, and I've already ordered a Viper with the full size grip.  Bul's 15-round compact grip is actually 5mm shorter than STI's compact grip, but since this is an "Officer" size 2011 I felt that it needed to be even shorter... so... dremel, drill press, belt sander, various files, determination, and an afternoon bored at home = chopped grip and shortened magazines for a flush fit.  The Bul 2011 compact magazines are about the only thing I don't like about this handgun (based on the RIA/Para double stack mags), because the magazine base plates are a pain to remove and reattach compared to the full-size mags.  However, that attachment method makes it relatively easy to shorten the magazine body and drill new holes for the base plate mounting tabs.  The base plates are also unnecessarily long at the front lip, so I shortened that front lip for better aesthetics. I cut 0.300" off the magazine body and the grip for a flush fit when the magazine is inserted. The shortened magazines now only hold 14 rounds, but I believe the gun looks better and conceals better. In addition to chopping the grip and beveling the inside of the newly cut magazine opening, I also rounded off the sharp edges on each side of the bottom of the trigger guard to make it more comfortable when gripping the gun.

Looks good! I just stippled the grips on mine. It was pretty good for stock but I like my grips to be very rough.

IMG_3641.jpg

56 minutes ago, BrazeauRacing said:

That looks great! 

Thanks! My support and just slipped a little too much with the stock grip. That does not happen anymore. Ha ha.

Edited by BLUEPSTU

• 1 month later...

Hopefully Bul Armory refines their designs so they look less like a kid’s LEGO blocks clumped together.  Functionality first and design/aesthetics second, but for the price point there are other options that better cover both aspects.

• 6 months later...

I happen to have a fair ammount of time with a few BUL Armory guns. A full size hicap government model, SAS2 commander, and one of their trophy 1911 9mm. The frames are harder then most you can get in USA. Fitment is solid, not as good as some custom builders but much better then anything below a Dan Wesson in the USA. Accuracy is very good. Trigger job from factory is great on the competition models, average on the non competition models.  No MIM parts that I've seen. They wont normally accept STI style mags unless you machine the frame, not hard to do. And could be done with files at home. You can get a 2011 grip fitted but it take a bit more work then on a STI style gun as the BUL frame doesnt use bushings for the grip screws. Both of my SAS2 guns have 1k plus rounds and then I started messing with them on the mill. Here is a pic of the commander with a Cheely grip fitted, slide lightened a bit, and red dot base. We also cut the frame for STI mags. Run good. 

123_1(29).jpeg