Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vent rib vs ghost rings

1911vm

I have wilson combat ghost sights on my 870. picked up a friends  shotgun  he has rib but front and rear FO   rifle looking set up i could pick it up just a bit faster than mine. And with three dots  i doubt i could  shoot it less accurately  than my ghost . so it just made me think. 

I’ve had ghost rings, rifle sights, and rib with dovetail rear sites. I’ve tried them all. For 3 Gun either rifle, or a rib front fiber optic dot with a rear dovetail or some other rear alignment. Ghost rings are not as fast for 3gun when you start taking long slug shots.  There are a lot of good shooters that just use a front fiber optic dot, but target acquisition +50 yard slug shots are slower without a rear sight

Let me submit this.......vent rib/bead is faster for 95% of your shorgun targets....period. Why would you build a shotgun that is going to improve your shotgun sights for 5% of your targets (gaining mmmmmaybe 50% accuracy) and loosing your speed (maybe 5 to 10%) for the rest?

Long time ago, I went with a Tom Knapp front bead.....stayed fast for that 95% and improved my slug accuracy by 25% for those 5% of my targets

Just something to think about.......if you can hit 12" at 50yds with slugs and a bead......drive the hell on and forget riflesd sights or a ghost ring.

so since i started this i now have  another  870 with Rib barrel with front FO and bead  and have an identical rib barrel  with FO both front and back attached to the rib. (rifle style)  so now i have all three . time to grab a timer some ammo, steel  and do some testing .