Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI PISTOLS

Hperea

I think it may be a combination of them moving out of the competition market, combined with reports of poor quality and long wait times for repairs.  I've experienced no such problems with mine.

The other thing is, they made a huge number of guns.  There are just more of them in the world, so they're more common.

1 hour ago, XDoctor said:

I think it may be a combination of them moving out of the competition market, combined with reports of poor quality and long wait times for repairs.  I've experienced no such problems with mine.

The other thing is, they made a huge number of guns.  There are just more of them in the world, so they're more common.

I agree with you 100%.  I was just curious about it.

Quality is not the same and too much production combined with the "John Wick factor" like MadBomber mentioned.

Also,  I have never liked the polymer grip.  It is a negative for me when you are paying over 2k for a pistol...no ..no  

I think this comes with the vision change of the company. Outside of competition circles, nobody knew who STI was. After their re-focus on the more tactical end of the spectrum and the crazy amount of press they generated by getting a spot in the John Wick movie, they are appealing to a much bigger and wider audience now.

That being said, because they don't seem to be very competition focused anymore, I'm not overly interested in their products given the price points.

That doesnt make me an STI hater or anything, I have a Trojan that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Companies just have to do what they have to do to survive and STI just needed a bigger market to do that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think to keep up with the quality of SVI and other custom gunmakers they would have had to really step up their game.  To just start marketing to the mass market what they already were producing is probably much easier....

Can you blame them? No one wants to shoot a real gun anymore. They want to shoot rifles at pistol matches and then complain they have to do a mandatory reload. STI has to make money somehow. 

I love my old-school STIs and will probably shoot them for the rest of my life. If they break I'll search hard for another old school one but I'm not buying no sir Taco or any of that weird tictack timmy stuff. The edge is the best bang for your buck ever in this game. 

Edited by louu

On the flight coming back from Shot.  STI is out of the competition business IMHO.  The only thing they are focused on now is the Staccato guns.  I saw USPSA approved the SS version for that division but the frames/guns/race guns/etc. are no longer being made.

18 hours ago, NoSteel said:

I think to keep up with the quality of SVI and other custom gunmakers they would have had to really step up their game.  To just start marketing to the mass market what they already were producing is probably much easier....

Do you think that there is a "relation" between sti and svi?  Two different worlds IMO.

Do you think that there is a "relation" between sti and svi?  Two different worlds IMO.
The only relation is that the S in SVI used to be the S in STI, but that was back in the 90s.

I dont think there is any comparable anything between the two. Some of the finest high dollar custom pistols in the world vs. production level competition guns that got the job done for the rest of us chumps :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

From what I saw at SHOT Show, they've moved entirely to mid-level mass production models that are on par with Rock Island and similar brands in terms of quality, fit, finish, etc.  It's been evident for a long time that the people running the company really had no clue as to what they were doing when it came to building competition guns.  And with the huge number of guns they had to repair or replace, it's not surprising they decided to exit this market.  The good news for us is, we now have plenty of good alternatives.  Maybe not at such a low price point.  But as with most things, you pretty much get what you pay for.

8 hours ago, louu said:

I love my old-school STIs and will probably shoot them for the rest of my life. If they break I'll search hard for another old school one but I'm not buying no sir Taco or any of that weird tictack timmy stuff. The edge is the best bang for your buck ever in this game. 

same here i have a handful and love them.  i actually bought one of their last edge's just to get another before they were gone.

I have 8 sti- pistols and they have all been great for the money. Six are single stacks and two are edges and they have all run flawlessly.

I'm not scaring any of the good shooters but that isn't because of the pistols.

I had a rear sight problem with one of the edge pistols and they replaced the sight, went thru the gun and returned it in 11 days.

I trust one of the 1911 pistols enough to carry it daily as a conceal carry.

The older ones were great guns, I can't say about the new ones.

Tim

14 hours ago, TimHawkins said:

I have 8 sti- pistols and they have all been great for the money. Six are single stacks and two are edges and they have all run flawlessly.

I'm not scaring any of the good shooters but that isn't because of the pistols.

I had a rear sight problem with one of the edge pistols and they replaced the sight, went thru the gun and returned it in 11 days.

I trust one of the 1911 pistols enough to carry it daily as a conceal carry.

The older ones were great guns, I can't say about the new ones.

Tim

Tim I have to say 8 is pretty good record.  I agree that old STI were ...lets say different.  Things have change and once again for the price you pay I expect  little bit more.

Just watched an STI Staccato XL related YT video filmed at Shot Show (2020). Interesting, but in the many posted comments you can tell that the posters are not competition shooters. I doubt you will see any USPSA shooters pick up a $3400 Limited Minor pistol (nor the .40 version given they can get a custom 2011 for a bit more $). One of the selling points the STI rep was proclaiming was the new grip. What he didn't tell you was that you can buy a new grip and put it on your existing STI 2011 and still have a gun that is $1000 to $1200 less than the Staccato XL.

I handled a S-XL at a LGS and it was nice, but not $3400 nice. I have an Edge (.40) and a Marauder (9mm). I like both and they were considerably less money. The new DW DWX will come in about half the price of the Staccato XL. The LGS rep told me they just got in the "Combat Master" and it sold immediately (costs even more). The John WIck "endorsement" will eventually wear off.

I also think that STI is going after the "tactical" market now. Other companies will step in to fill the void in the competition market.

Edited by Steppenwolf

1 hour ago, Steppenwolf said:

I handled a S-XL at a LGS and it was nice, but not $3400 nice. I have an Edge (.40) and a Marauder (9mm). I like both and they were considerably less money. The new DW DWX will come in about half the price of the Staccato XL. 

DW DWX   still didn't born and has to prove himself like old EDGE before u can take him account.😉

Hperea,

I have 3 Lawman and 2 uspsa single stack models that are older guns. I think they are built to tighter tolerances than the newer guns.

If you look around you can still find Trojans and Lawman pistols used at reasonable prices.

I got the Lawman guns because they are forged frames but I don't think you can go wrong with cast frame gun.

Unfortunately, to stay competitive companies cut corners and produce items of less quality and always seem to want more money.

Just the world we live in today.

Tim