Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter in Wisconsin Sucks

lanre

So I live in Southwest Wisconsin, and sadly, I thought that maybe we'd luck out and have a mild winter.  I was very wrong.  The snow and cold has arrived.

I started my addiction to USPSA this fall on a whim.  That whim absolutely turned into an obsession.  I'm counting the days until I can get back outside and start shooting again.  I'm hoping a place like this can help to ease the pain until the warmth returns.  Anyone else feel my pain? :P

I actually went to an indoor match in Lodi in December.  Being new to the sport, I'm not sure if it's the norm or not, but it seemed to take FOREVER!  It was a 4 stage match that started at 10am.  We didn't get done until about 3:30pm.  Indoor seemed to take so much longer than outdoor matches.  I've not done an outdoor match at Lodi yet.  The only outdoor matches I've done were in Ripon.  I thoroughly enjoyed those.

I would assume it had larger squads due to the limited space.

Most outdoor matches have 10-13 people at best per squad. Majors (this works for locals too) end up running about 45-50 mins per stages for the whole squad.

I used to run my local indoor club, McHenry IPSC Shooting Society (MISS), for a few years. We only have 2 bays to work with and run 4 stages (And 6 on our Saturday matches). a 4 stage match with 16 person squads runs from 7-10ish. Saturdays with 12 person squads and 6 stages run from 8 AM - 1PMish.

Outdoor stags designs allow more pre scoring(Scoring targets while the shooter is still shooting). Most indoor stages dont have a whole lot of forward movement compared to outdoor matches.

snow and below freezing is awsome,,, Just buy better clothes .
What sucks is NEAR but not quite freezing.. cause that translates to cold arse mud,,, MUD MUD AND MORE MUD,,, and howling wind , and WET... Id rather be subzero and dry, than 33 degrees and wet

• 2 weeks later...

If you really need to get a USPSA fix and don't mind a drive, Marc-On is located near Eau Claire, WI and runs indoor USPSA 2x per month.  We do 4-5 stages, multiple of which are classifiers, and the matches get done within about 2-3 hours.  Matches are on PractiScore if you want to check it out.