Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket extractor for RIA double stack .40?

Steve-O

I have a Rock Island Pro Match Ultra HC .40 and would like to replace the extractor with a better made one. Nothing wrong with the factory one I just want to replace it with a quality one if there is one available? 

Another vote for the EGW extractor. 

I use this one in my RIA Pro Match Ultra HC 40: https://www.egwguns.com/hd-extractor-9mm-38-40-series-70-blue 

IIRC, the only fitting required was a little polishing on the side of the hook so rounds would slide up a little easier and, after adjusting the tension, filing down the end to match the rear of the slide.  A little polishing with various grits of wet/dry sandpaper & a little cold-bluing took care of the exposed metal after filing.

I run aftecs in my open guns - they are good but require modifying your firing pin stop, and have their own pros and cons (spring caps can break). I had issues with a standard extractor in my 9major gun and switching to an aftec solved it, because I don't have the chops to fit/fix an extractor myself and was just looking for a part that would solve it for good. Other guns that have properly tuned extractors may not require one.

If you're shooting 40, to be honest as long as your extractor works, I don't think it needs replacing. Wait until it wears out and requires replacing - and then I'd go with what @N3WWN suggested - EGW makes good stuff. I don't run an Aftec in my limited gun

1 minute ago, sc68cal said:

I run aftecs in my open guns - they are good but require modifying your firing pin stop, and have their own pros and cons (spring caps can break). I had issues with a standard extractor in my 9major gun and switching to an aftec solved it, because I don't have the chops to fit/fix an extractor myself and was just looking for a part that would solve it for good. Other guns that have properly tuned extractors may not require one.

If you're shooting 40, to be honest as long as your extractor works, I don't think it needs replacing. Wait until it wears out and requires replacing - and then I'd go with what @N3WWN suggested - EGW makes good stuff. I don't run an Aftec in my limited gun

Just curious why you don’t use a Aftec in your Limited guns? 

3 hours ago, Steve-O said:

Just curious why you don’t use a Aftec in your Limited guns? 

I've never had extraction issues where an Aftec was warranted. I don't think 165PF ammunition in 40 S&W is at a high enough pressure (compared to 9mm major) where extraction can be an issue. With my 9 major guns, I was consistently having issues where the regular extractor was not grabbing onto the rim of the case and extracting the case. Switching to an aftec, that issue was resolved.

• 3 months later...