Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New VA guy checking in

VA11a

Short time lurker here. I just recently joined the Quantico Shooting Club and I’m super excited to try my hand at Steel Challenge and USPSA. I’ve shot a grand total of one IDPA’ish outlaw match a few years back, so I’m about as green as they come. I do have a .mil background and was a member of my County SWAT team before making a big change career wise. I guess my biggest is for getting started is I have nearly zero gear. Since I had to turn in my issued G17, all I have now is a SW M2.0 compact in 9mm. Well, I do have a double esstac mag carrier and a Bravo concealment holster. I’ve been reading up on the different divisions and trying to make a plan. I could shoot production for both steel and USPSA but the compact is just a hair small and I tend to pinch my hand on tac reloads. The fix for that is a slick magwell but, there goes production. So, my first question would have to be, shoot the M2.0c as is, add the magwell and shoot limited minor OR do a blue Label G17fs and shoot production until I figure out what route I want to go. I do appreciate any and all advice!

Sounds like a decent plan to me. I’m pretty excited about this. I have a lot less shooting time now that I’m just a full time civilian. I’m mostly just looking for something to be a part of. Make some new friends. I’ve noticed, most people up here in NOVA don’t seem to be the most receptive to firearms. At least not compared to SWVA, where I am from. 

We are pretty receptive here in Richmond/Central VA, and not too far away from you.  Lots of matches to choose from:

CSA IDPA - every Monday night

GRB USPSA at Cavalier Gun Club - 3rd Saturday of the Month

IDPA at Cavalier Gun Club - 4th Saturday of the month

Steel Match  at Black Creek - 2nd Saturday of the month

Many others as well.

That’s great to hear. I recently became a member of the Quantico Shooting Club and it is fantastic. It would be great to see what other local competitions are there. I’m really wanting to make myself a better shooter this year. Competitions/practice are definitely gonna be the way to do that. 

15 hours ago, VA11a said:

Sounds like a decent plan to me. I’m pretty excited about this. I have a lot less shooting time now that I’m just a full time civilian. I’m mostly just looking for something to be a part of. Make some new friends. I’ve noticed, most people up here in NOVA don’t seem to be the most receptive to firearms. At least not compared to SWVA, where I am from. 

There are more competitive shooters in that area than you realize, but you are correct it is not like SW VA. I am from the SW part of the state as well so I understand where you are coming from. FBURG practical shooters has USPSA on the first Sunday of the month, I think they will start up again in March or April.

Welcome to the area.  There are a lot of great USPSA matches within 2 hr drive.  Just bring the gear you have to get started.  When you get to a match start asking your squad mates, everyone will be friendly and help you out.  See ya at a match.

Fair enough! My current position has me traveling to DC daily and it’s a whole other world to me. There definitely seems to be more opportunities up here. That’s for sure. I’m going to have to pick up a few more mags if I’m going to do production. These three sound like they just aren’t going to cut it. 

Three mags def will not be enough.  A good deal of uspsa stages are at 32rds minimum, and that does not count extras for misses.  I see most guys running at least 4, and a lot of times 5 or 6 to change mags at appropriate times on the stage so you do not go to slide lock.