Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution vs Dillon 1050

4 minutes ago, hurley326 said:

No I don’t think they are worth waiting for. Get your press up and running you will love it. I agree with you about basic customer service aspects many companies struggle with. Sucks when it’s a company with an amazing product too. Regardless if they make it right or not it’s unfortunate to have the subpar experience that tends to stick in your head

Plenty of other great dies available. FW Arms if you’re doing rifle for Decap and swage, if only pistol then Mighty Armory for both. Redding for sizing die or MA new sizing die (verdict isn’t out on this yet but i bought it), Lyman M die with DAA expander put inside it for flare, Redding comp micrometer seating die and either Redding micrometer crimp die or Lee FCD or really any taper crimp die.

I think Lyman is just bundling these all together in their own design so you don’t need to go to different sources but I rarely find that one company can be best at everything so I like the mix and match dies. They are stainless steel so they won’t rust which is also nice but if you spray other dies with something like Baristol every year or so they won’t rust either and many are even coated of the ones I mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2020 at 9:38 PM, RGA said:

Yes, you can trim and load in 1 run if you want to.

I have a Lyman M-die in the priming station (4) which removes any burrs on the inside of the case mouths and the LEE factory crimp in the last station takes care of any remaining burrs on the outside of the case mouth.

it works but running the trimmer, the case feeder and the bullet feeder at the same time required ear protection. ;)

Mark 7 Evo eindelijk compleet!.jpg

I was in touch with Mark 7's CS and they said their current trimmer WILL NOT fit onto their evolution press for 1 pass reloading. Their website says the trimmer does in the trimmer's description but their CS says different? I am leaning towards the RT1500 for trimming instead of the Bosch trimmer because of the RT1500's ability to also size. 

What do you guys think about this setup with the Evo?

9mm:

1. Case feed

2. Universal decap die 

3. Swage: Hold down die

4. Priming: 9mm size die 

5. Expander die

6. Powder measure

7. Digital Powder check (When automated) 

8. Bullet Drop

9. Seat

10. Crimp

223/308: 

1. Case feed

2. Universal decapper

3. Dillon RT1500 trim and size+swage

4. Priming: What dies do you guys use for this station on rifle brass? 

5. Expander: Universal expander for both 223 and 308?

6. Powder Drop

7. Digital powder check (When automated)

8. Bullet Drop

9. Seat

10. Crimp

7 hours ago, Baragasam said:

@RGA Are you swaging and trimming on the same station? Or did you remove your swager? 

Hi Baragasam,

Yes, I'm swaging, sizing and trimming on the same station.

A few things need clarification I feel.

1) My trimmer fits on the tool head as you can see in the picture. Installing the included (Dillon) manifold (which is not in the picture) is the biggest challenge because in its unaltered form it will not fit between the neighboring dies. I'm not sure how a lighter style trimmer is going to solve that issue.

2) The trimmer comes with a Dillon trim die so it will size.

3) I also have a Dillon trimmer and it will not fit on the MK7 tool head when there are neighboring dies because the body is too wide.

Kind rgds and stay safe!

RGA

Edited by RGA

Noticed with some tall cases (currently running x54), the case mouth is being dented at the expanding station (just before powder measure).

I tracked the issue down to the primer sense which puts pressure on bottom of case/primer and tilts the case just enough to get dinged by Lyman M die.

Any ideas? I moved the expander to the Swage station which I am not using on these as they are primed berdan cases. 

I also determined the Lee FCD and Hornady Seater (with the alignment ring) get caught on bullet as the shell plate starts to spin before the die plate rises enough on these taller cartridges....

Just food for thought when you are running a Revo/Evo. 

12 hours ago, RGA said:

Hi Baragasam,

Yes, I'm swaging, sizing and trimming on the same station.

A few things need clarification I feel.

1) My trimmer fits on the tool head as you can see in the picture. Installing the included (Dillon) manifold (which is not in the picture) is the biggest challenge because in its unaltered form it will not fit between the neighboring dies. I'm not sure how a lighter style trimmer is going to solve that issue.

2) The trimmer comes with a Dillon trim die so it will size.

3) I also have a Dillon trimmer and it will not fit on the MK7 tool head when there are neighboring dies because the body is too wide.

Kind rgds and stay safe!

RGA

Thank you @RGA, so how are you catching the brass shavings in the trimmer station? I agree, I cannot see how a thinner trimmer is going to help and the die itself with the manifold would need to sit higher. Did you modify the manifold to fit with the decapper and expander dies around it? 

Just got off the phone with their sales department @RGA 

They said that the trimmer can be ran with the manifold on the evolution, it just requires and I quote "offset toolhead" which I think it is this https://www.markvii-loading.com/review/product/list/id/1411/category/98/. I'll get the invoice tomorrow and get back to you with the product number. 

Hi Baragasam,

I had to "customize" the manifold and still have to squeeze it in between the neighboring dies. The whole setup places pressure on the neighboring dies which I don't like. I think I'll go back to a seperate cycle for trimming.

I have a MA decapper on one side and a Lyman M-die on the other side.

Stay safe,

RGA

manifold.jpg

manifold2.jpg

manifold3.jpg

Edited by RGA

On 4/15/2020 at 1:47 AM, RGA said:

Hi Baragasam,

I had to "customize" the manifold and still have to squeeze it in between the neighboring dies. The whole setup places pressure on the neighboring dies which I don't like. I think I'll go back to a seperate cycle for trimming.

I have a MA decapper on one side and a Lyman M-die on the other side.

Stay safe,

RGA

manifold.jpg

manifold2.jpg

manifold3.jpg

Thanks @RGA!

• 3 months later...

I was about to order a 1050 this week, and then I found the Evolution.  Are there any common issues I should look out for? Other than missing parts, I see. Best place to buy? I agree with an earlier post, a shame all the companies I've dealt with so far have very poor communication. Thanks for this thread!

21 hours ago, SolomonVaquero said:

I was about to order a 1050 this week, and then I found the Evolution.  Are there any common issues I should look out for? Other than missing parts, I see. Best place to buy? I agree with an earlier post, a shame all the companies I've dealt with so far have very poor communication. Thanks for this thread!

double alpha or mark7 direct. 

13 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

Graf’s dealer pricing ain’t bad too but limited availability. If you have FFL, that is a good option.

I've been trying to decide between these two as well.  Even with the dealer discounts, the Evo is about 45% more than the RL1100.  Just not sure I can justify the price difference,

14 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

I've been trying to decide between these two as well.  Even with the dealer discounts, the Evo is about 45% more than the RL1100.  Just not sure I can justify the price difference,

I had two super 1050s, one for small primer and one for large. I am so happy I sold those and got an evolution with all the sensors and primer collator. 

Way better machine. 

19 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

I had two super 1050s, one for small primer and one for large. I am so happy I sold those and got an evolution with all the sensors and primer collator. 

Way better machine. 

isn’t the primer collator a PITA to change size? I bought a second Revo to avoid changing. 

Just now, DJRyan13 said:

isn’t the primer collator a PITA to change size? I bought a second Revo to avoid changing. 

Personally I don't feel like swapping that stuff out is that big of a deal but I am making ammo for just me personally. Sure it adds some time to the process but I am usually loading in such bulk that I don't worry about it. I can probably swap everything out and start loading in under 20 minutes at this point. If its been a while since I have reloaded, that might take longer due to the cobwebs in my head. 

I will do 10k-15k of some caliber and never have to go back and touch that for a bit and I can move onto some other caliber. 

3 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Are they priced the same either way?

Does either offer coupons or discounts?

Thanks.

I saved more $ from buying from DAA than Mark7 during last years Black Friday.  DAA had a % based sale vs Mark7’s fixed $ off 

Plus shipping from PA was only $180 to Toronto via my own freight carrier (Mark7 is in FL) 

DAA does give rebates on your next order depending on what’s bought.  Given what I spent on an Evo Pro it wasn’t much.

DAA also gives discount codes when they sponsor matches but only on their products, but you’ll need a Mr Bullet feeder so its something.

I was looking at reloading stuff online this morning, and the wife wandered over and asked what I was looking at.  I spent five minutes telling her about the two presses I was looking at.  Her response?  "Just buy the more expensive one, treat yourself"

15 minutes ago, wdfwguy said:

I was looking at reloading stuff online this morning, and the wife wandered over and asked what I was looking at.  I spent five minutes telling her about the two presses I was looking at.  Her response?  "Just buy the more expensive one, treat yourself"

That is what is called a keeper. 

• 9 months later...

Now that the Mark 7 presses have been out for a while, do those that went from a Dillion 1050 to a Mark 7 regret your move or would you do it again?

Leaning toward getting a Mark 7 this fall 'cause I am tired of pulling the handle on the 650.