Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution vs Dillon 1050

Is the Mark 7 Evolution worth the $1000 price difference vs an RL1100 if you have no plans to eventually automate? I'm considering it right now because the Mark 7 is in stock and the RL1100 has a long waiting period (they said up to 8 weeks now). However, the price is very high.

What do you all use the extra stations for? Can you use a trimmer inline on it & reload at the same time? With the RL1100, you need a separate toolhead to trim/process first and then change over to a different toolhead to load. Can you avoid this with the Mark 7? If not, what can you use the extra stations for?

I'm in FL and being able to drive 3 or so hours away to take something straight to Mark 7 and/or pick up from them seems like an appealing prospect if I ever have to do that. However, that also means I need to buy the machine from somewhere else to avoid the sales tax.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the the Evo/Revo presses are better made than the 1050/1100 presses. The extra stations are super handy for flaring the case and not using the powder measure to do it, having a powder check and separate seat and crimp positions along with the bullet feeder. Yes you can process and load rifle brass at the same time, but I don't even do that with pistol, I process buckets at a time, then load buckets at a time

Yes, you can trim and load in 1 run if you want to.

I have a Lyman M-die in the priming station (4) which removes any burrs on the inside of the case mouths and the LEE factory crimp in the last station takes care of any remaining burrs on the outside of the case mouth.

it works but running the trimmer, the case feeder and the bullet feeder at the same time required ear protection. ;)

Mark 7 Evo eindelijk compleet!.jpg

Edited by RGA

Can anyone give an opinion on how easy/hard/ok/annoying changing calibers from 9mm to .223 is? I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Mark 7 Evolution, but haven't fully committed yet, and I want to start with the 9mm machine, but will want to quickly add the .223 conversion parts & trimmer.

Are these the only parts I need?

- Machine conversion kit for .223
- Separate tool head
- .223 dies
- case feeder plate for .223

Anything else?

Is it easy to switch these parts out or a pain in the ass?

I am using Wilson locking nuts instead of toolheads for conversion. I run so many calibers, it just doesn’t make sense to buy toolheads for each. If not switching primer size 20-30mins if rushing. Not a big deal. That includes time it takes to clean up. Folks don’t just slap on a new caliber, they take pride in their toy and make it purdy. 

Not sure how many changes are needed on Evo case feeder. The Revo large case feeder sucks to convert so I slapped on Dillon feeders to my Revo’s and plan on doing same on Evo.

I have primer collators on both my Revos. Worth every penny - just dump and go. However, if you are planning to reload small and large primer and not buying a machine for each (like I did), you are right to buy standard priming system. Easier changeover. For my new Evo, I went with standard too for that reason plus I don’t want electricity on the press as I will mainly use for black powder loads.

if you do end up buying the autodrive someday (worth it to me as my elbows and shoulders are getting old), wait for a nice sale. Optics planet had a good one for BF....

• 2 weeks later...

they are coming out with a cheaper version of the primer collator for the evolution which is around $500. It doesn't hold as many as the Revo style collator. I am definitely getting this when its released I think before summer.

58 minutes ago, hurley326 said:

they are coming out with a cheaper version of the primer collator for the evolution which is around $500. It doesn't hold as many as the Revo style collator. I am definitely getting this when its released I think before summer.

Any videos or pictures of it ?

25db80d39c2e8c082717876be55bf8bf.jpg

I have the DAA Primer Collator and I absolutely love it, despite the trash talkers online, and it’s invaluable to lengthy reloading sessions.

But this new built in collator is really what I’m looking for so I can walk away while my press is operating and load 300-500 rounds before I have to come back and feed it. 300-500 rounds is coincidentally the rough capacity of the case feeder and bullet feeder. And it’s affordable! I am 100% buying this and selling my DAA collator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you are considering buying either a 1050 / 1100 or and evolution I say definitely go with the Evolution.  I got one of the very first ones shipped.  Number 23 from their initial sale at shot show 2018.  It had a problem with primers getting crushed in the type of range brass I use.  Mark 7 made it right and it has been super reliable ever since.  The Evolution is a much more expandable and better made machine.  the guts of the manual Evolution are exactly the same as their $10,000 revolution.  When you are ready you can add to the Evolution to basically turn it into a Revolution.  You could never expand the capability that far with the 1050/1100.

37 minutes ago, Ocrrhbow said:

If you are considering buying either a 1050 / 1100 or and evolution I say definitely go with the Evolution.  I got one of the very first ones shipped.  Number 23 from their initial sale at shot show 2018.  It had a problem with primers getting crushed in the type of range brass I use.  Mark 7 made it right and it has been super reliable ever since.  The Evolution is a much more expandable and better made machine.  the guts of the manual Evolution are exactly the same as their $10,000 revolution.  When you are ready you can add to the Evolution to basically turn it into a Revolution.  You could never expand the capability that far with the 1050/1100.

drive mechanisms are different between two presses but about it until you compare accessories. Agree with rest. I have two Revo’s and have a manual Evo due to arrive Tuesday. Plan to use Evo for black powder only. Wanted something without  electricity for that. 

going to try putting two Powder measures on it for duplex loads. Try that with a Dillon!

Edited by DJRyan13

12 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

I bought an Evo and have it sitting in the box in my living room right now. Still need to buy dies though. Apparently Lyman is releasing brand new dies around the end of the month....

Check to make sure all parts are in the box. Mine arrived Tuesday... they forgot the feet and mounting hardware. Not a huge deal as I don’t need to use right away but they left parts out of my Revo too. One of my toolheads came without one of the pins. They need to work on their outgoing quality checks.

42 minutes ago, DJRyan13 said:

Check to make sure all parts are in the box. Mine arrived Tuesday... they forgot the feet and mounting hardware. Not a huge deal as I don’t need to use right away but they left parts out of my Revo too. One of my toolheads came without one of the pins. They need to work on their outgoing quality checks.

A month or so ago they shipped one of my toolheads also without the bracket and guide rod that inserts into the long spring. Also received a toolhead that was all dinged up like it had been dropped on the floor. They fixed each issue but was surprised for that to happen after spending so much money.

1 hour ago, DJRyan13 said:

41 minutes ago, hurley326 said:

A month or so ago they shipped one of my toolheads also without the bracket and guide rod that inserts into the long spring. Also received a toolhead that was all dinged up like it had been dropped on the floor. They fixed each issue but was surprised for that to happen after spending so much money.

This is nothing new.  Been happening, in various forms, since the beginning.  Being bought by Lyman didn't seem to change it.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:20 PM, DJRyan13 said:

Dillon has always treated me like an idiot from the start of owning a 1050. They always assume you are running it commercially and don’t ever want to honor their 1 year warranty. Same both times I bought a 1050. 

They are faster to answer questions cause they seem to have more trained help. And to be honest, their stuff hasn’t really changed in so dang long that they don’t need to learn new things. 

I traded one 1050 in for a Revolution. It has been fantastic. The folks are very nice. It does take a little longer to get the answer as the customer support folks aren’t that well trained. The tech support folks they send you to are overwhelmed cause it seems like there are only a few.

The issues on both presses have been very minor. They eventually get fixed. With Dillon, parts have broken under normal use and I had to pay every time. With M7, i messed up a couple little things (like overtightening things). They helped me resolve and sent me replacement parts free

As for the presses, Evolution hands down with the higher number of positions and the ability to use a variety of powder measures. 

I haven't had issues with the Mark 7, love the press way smoother, runs like butter, better built and it's simply a beautiful machine.  I had tons of issues with the Dillon 1050, sent it back and got me a Mark 7 instead.  Yes, I spend a bit more but at the end I am happier with how Mark 7 support has been and how well I've been treated.  Both press companies have their flaws so there's no exception to that.  However, the Mark 7 is on another level as far as built quality and features. 

Mark 7 2.jpeg

On 2/23/2020 at 5:08 PM, hurley326 said:

25db80d39c2e8c082717876be55bf8bf.jpg

I have the DAA Primer Collator and I absolutely love it, despite the trash talkers online, and it’s invaluable to lengthy reloading sessions.

But this new built in collator is really what I’m looking for so I can walk away while my press is operating and load 300-500 rounds before I have to come back and feed it. 300-500 rounds is coincidentally the rough capacity of the case feeder and bullet feeder. And it’s affordable! I am 100% buying this and selling my DAA collator.

Hmm, I have to look into this thing...  I need this in my life! lol

On 3/5/2020 at 9:12 PM, DJRyan13 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look everything over closely.

I will say I was not very impressed with the buying experience, considering I spent about $3500 (9mm Evo + required conversion parts for .223).
- I bought through DAA, and the 9mm Evo wasn't in stock even though the website said it was.
- DAA let me know and told me Mark 7 would ship it to me directly. They were also concerned about it being shipped to an apartment and asked if I would be home (this is good), but when I said I probably would be (because I work from home)  & asked for Signature Confirmation so I could sign for it, I never received any response.
- After 7-10 days or so, I hadn't heard anything, so I used Mark 7's chat on their site to get in touch with them to check in with where things were at & ask a few other random questions I had (still need to buy some things). Had pretty good communication, but was told it was "on the shipping dock" and was "shipping the next day"... but was later contacted and said that that wasn't actually true and that they were waiting on a backordered item themselves (9mm shellplate, I think). They did say that they would do Signature Confirmation on the order. When I replied I asked a bunch of more questions to the sales rep, and they never replied until I sent another extra email a week later.
- When I finally received the order, it shipped from DAA and not Mark 7 and there was no Signature Confirmation. Luckily, I was home at the time and got the order just fine, but this annoyed me after the above things that had happened.

Not sure why so many companies in the gun industry are so bad at communication/customer service, but it really gets old.

FWIW, I bought from DAA because they had a 5% off sale for President's Day, and because I'd have to pay sales tax if I bought from Mark 7 directly (I'm in FL).

Anyway, haven't got around to unpacking it yet, because I don't yet have dies anyway and have been busy with work. Going to dig through it and make sure everything is there this weekend.

Anyone know anything about the new Lyman dies that are coming out? Think they are worth waiting for?

Edited by avastcosmicarena

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look everything over closely.

I will say I was not very impressed with the buying experience, considering I spent about $3500 (9mm Evo + required conversion parts for .223).

- I bought through DAA, and the 9mm Evo wasn't in stock even though the website said it was.

- DAA let me know and told me Mark 7 would ship it to me directly. They were also concerned about it being shipped to an apartment and asked if I would be home (this is good), but when I said I probably would be (because I work from home)  & asked for Signature Confirmation so I could sign for it, I never received any response.

- After 7-10 days or so, I hadn't heard anything, so I used Mark 7's chat on their site to get in touch with them to check in with where things were at & ask a few other random questions I had (still need to buy some things). Had pretty good communication, but was told it was "on the shipping dock" and was "shipping the next day"... but was later contacted and said that that wasn't actually true and that they were waiting on a backordered item themselves (9mm shellplate, I think). They did say that they would do Signature Confirmation on the order. When I replied I asked a bunch of more questions to the sales rep, and they never replied until I sent another extra email a week later.

- When I finally received the order, it shipped from DAA and not Mark 7 and there was no Signature Confirmation. Luckily, I was home at the time and got the order just fine, but this annoyed me after the above things that had happened.

Not sure why so many companies in the gun industry are so bad at communication/customer service, but it really gets old.

FWIW, I bought from DAA because they had a 5% off sale for President's Day, and because I'd have to pay sales tax if I bought from Mark 7 directly (I'm in FL).

Anyway, haven't got around to unpacking it yet, because I don't yet have dies anyway and have been busy with work. Going to dig through it and make sure everything is there this weekend.

Anyone know anything about the new Lyman dies that are coming out? Think they are worth waiting for?

No I don’t think they are worth waiting for. Get your press up and running you will love it. I agree with you about basic customer service aspects many companies struggle with. Sucks when it’s a company with an amazing product too. Regardless if they make it right or not it’s unfortunate to have the subpar experience that tends to stick in your head

Plenty of other great dies available. FW Arms if you’re doing rifle for Decap and swage, if only pistol then Mighty Armory for both. Redding for sizing die or MA new sizing die (verdict isn’t out on this yet but i bought it), Lyman M die with DAA expander put inside it for flare, Redding comp micrometer seating die and either Redding micrometer crimp die or Lee FCD or really any taper crimp die.

I think Lyman is just bundling these all together in their own design so you don’t need to go to different sources but I rarely find that one company can be best at everything so I like the mix and match dies. They are stainless steel so they won’t rust which is also nice but if you spray other dies with something like Baristol every year or so they won’t rust either and many are even coated of the ones I mentioned above.