Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution vs Dillon 1050


Recommended Posts

I've been eyeing the MK7 Evolution for quite a while, seems to be more robust, without the kinks etc of the 1050. I've been using the 1050 for a while, tons of mods have been done and there's absolutely nothing wrong with my press.  A friend of mine is telling the Mark 7 is a total waste of time and money because it's essentially the same machine as the Dillon besides a few upgrades, probably better CNC etc, etc.  Well, it's my money so I can spend it how I please lol. I am not fully sure about his statement but I am looking for some suggestions for those that have made the jump from the 1050 to the Revo? 

 

Down the line I am looking to fully automate~ 

 

Pros/Cons, regrets, etc etc..    Thanks in advance~ 

 

 

 

Edited by chgofirefighter
Typo error
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

 

 

Down the line I am looking to fully automate~ 

 

Pros/Cons, regrets, etc etc..    Thanks in advance~ 

 

 

 

The REVOLUTION is already fully automated... You thinking about the EVOLUTION??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, slavex said:

More stations and options on the Evo, and quite simply more robust and better built. 

I know someone that has one, well the guy has the top of the line Mark 7 Revolution and yes it’s more robust, runs smooth as butter, it’s very well made CNC vs Cast parts of the Dillon. More stations, it’s a serious serious machine but at 10k it should be!  I’m just interested in the manual one for now. I know that Dillon came out with the 1100 but it’s still a cast made press. Dillon has one thing going, it’s name and reputation but those days are over. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I know someone that has one, well the guy has the top of the line Mark 7 Revolution and yes it’s more robust, runs smooth as butter, it’s very well made CNC vs Cast parts of the Dillon. More stations, it’s a serious serious machine but at 10k it should be!  I’m just interested in the manual one for now. I know that Dillon came out with the 1100 but it’s still a cast made press. Dillon has one thing going, it’s name and reputation but those days are over. 
 

 


In my experiences, Dillons warranty and product support are far better than marks7’s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, tanks said:

 

For the 1050 it is a year, same as Mark VII.

It’s not the duration of the warranty. With Dillon when you call, someone answerS the phone and you are taken care of immediately. 
 

I had to deal with Mark7 twice on defective sensors, took over a month both times to get my issues resolved. 
 

things might be different if you have their “premium” support. I don’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dillon has always treated me like an idiot from the start of owning a 1050. They always assume you are running it commercially and don’t ever want to honor their 1 year warranty. Same both times I bought a 1050. 

They are faster to answer questions cause they seem to have more trained help. And to be honest, their stuff hasn’t really changed in so dang long that they don’t need to learn new things. 

 

I traded one 1050 in for a Revolution. It has been fantastic. The folks are very nice. It does take a little longer to get the answer as the customer support folks aren’t that well trained. The tech support folks they send you to are overwhelmed cause it seems like there are only a few.

 

The issues on both presses have been very minor. They eventually get fixed. With Dillon, parts have broken under normal use and I had to pay every time. With M7, i messed up a couple little things (like overtightening things). They helped me resolve and sent me replacement parts free. 

 

As for the presses, Evolution hands down with the higher number of positions and the ability to use a variety of powder measures. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, Lyman is designing new dies.. Nice. I hated most of their old die (except M die).

 

Video supports my point above. That Titan press looks amazing. I would love to load larger calibers progressively like that. Dillon doesn’t take any risks. What did they come up with lately? “Let’s take the priming system off the 1050, change the lever back to the old RL1050 and sell a brass processor for a little cheaper that a 1050 or 1100”

 

That isn’t innovation. 

Edited by DJRyan13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a first batch M7 EVO owner. 

 

I got the first release of M7 EVO.  It was rocky at first. The machine had a lot of hiccups.  Their support was slow and left a lot to be desired. 

Moving forward, their customer service has stepped up BIG TIME. M7 became very responsive and quick to resolve issues with the press. On their dime, they ended up shipping the press back and rebuilding it from the ground up. They upgraded it with all the updates/changes that they developed over the course of the first year. So, in my experience their customer service has become top notch. 

 

I will say now my press works wonderfully.  Its extremely smooth and loads very consistent rounds. I load 9 major with it. I get very little spillage of powder, even with 10.4gr of powder in a small 9mm case. 

 

I've seen a few 1050 load. They are nice quality presses. But I would say the M7 is a better product. I noticed that the M7 has a beefier construction and is a smoother running press. Plus you get more stations. That does come at a higher price tag though. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had some hiccups early on, but the Mark7 team bird-dogged them until resolution. It's a complex machine, I still get an occasional thing i need to address here and there, but nothing major.

 

If you're manual and staying manual - I'm not sure I'd make the jump to Evo, just from a cost standpoint. Depends on if you need that extra station or not. If you're going to be doing multiple calibers, take into account the toolhead/shellplate/case-feeder caliber costs in your comparison.

 

But if you have any plans at all to automate, Mark 7.  in fact, can you even accommodate powder-check in the 1050/1100 if you have separate seat/crimp stations? I don't run powder-check in my manual presses, but in my automated, it's a must-have for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But if you have any plans at all to automate, Mark 7.  in fact, can you even accommodate powder-check in the 1050/1100 if you have separate seat/crimp stations? I don't run powder-check in my manual presses, but in my automated, it's a must-have for me.

Nope.

Though you could if you got rid of the bullet feeder. :-)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2020 at 10:45 AM, PokerNGuns said:

For those with evolution, Are there any differences in primer feed designs that would reduce the risk of lighting off a whole tube of primers? 
 

 


I would say risk is very low for both. Rare you hear of it on 1050... I have popped a few primers running a 1050 (f’ing small primer 45acp). press keeps chugging. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DJRyan13 said:


I would say risk is very low for both. Rare you hear of it on 1050... I have popped a few primers running a 1050 (f’ing small primer 45acp). press keeps chugging. 

Recently moved from 650 to RL1100. Lit tube of 90+ off. I had been loving upgrade and was working through a few thousand poor head stamped brass. Didn’t blow until I started moving handle up so not sure if primer got turned wrong and pinched when either shell plate or primer slide started moving. Though I hadn’t hit the deep clean mark I was blowing debris off on primer refills. 

 

There are several posts on this with 650/1050 but have not came across one with the Evolution yet. I could deal with single primer if it was rare but anymore full tubes may draw to much attention for where I’m located. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Recently moved from 650 to RL1100. Lit tube of 90+ off. I had been loving upgrade and was working through a few thousand poor head stamped brass. Didn’t blow until I started moving handle up so not sure if primer got turned wrong and pinched when either shell plate or primer slide started moving. Though I hadn’t hit the deep clean mark I was blowing debris off on primer refills. 

 

There are several posts on this with 650/1050 but have not came across one with the Evolution yet. I could deal with single primer if it was rare but anymore full tubes may draw to much attention for where I’m located. 

 

 

Wow. Sorry to hear that about 1100. I thought 1100 had a better primer system than 1050? How is Dillon responding to your blow out? Replacing under warranty? 

 

Like I said, I blew a handful when I was processing 45 acp.. but that was the primer going into the case only. I can see if the primer is sideways or something inside the tube it might blow the stack when it is being extracted by the slide. Luckily haven’t seen that in my 1050.

 

I have two revolutions with the auto priming system and about to buy a Revolution with normal priming system to load my black powder rounds. Don’t want anything electrical around the BP so I am skipping sensors and autodrive...

 

Here is a question for the Evo folks without autodrive, can you still use any sensors or no since you don’t have the pad? Even a little warning for flipped primer or low powder would be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

 

 

Wow. Sorry to hear that about 1100. I thought 1100 had a better primer system than 1050? How is Dillon responding to your blow out? Replacing under warranty? 

 

Like I said, I blew a handful when I was processing 45 acp.. but that was the primer going into the case only. I can see if the primer is sideways or something inside the tube it might blow the stack when it is being extracted by the slide. Luckily haven’t seen that in my 1050.

 

I have two revolutions with the auto priming system and about to buy a Revolution with normal priming system to load my black powder rounds. Don’t want anything electrical around the BP so I am skipping sensors and autodrive...

 

Here is a question for the Evo folks without autodrive, can you still use any sensors or no since you don’t have the pad? Even a little warning for flipped primer or low powder would be nice.

Dillon replaced the parts and shipped them quick this time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2020 at 6:56 PM, Rich406 said:

It’s not the duration of the warranty. With Dillon when you call, someone answerS the phone and you are taken care of immediately. 
 

I had to deal with Mark7 twice on defective sensors, took over a month both times to get my issues resolved. 
 

things might be different if you have their “premium” support. I don’t. 

 

Have you had contact with them recently? The acquisition by Lyman has changed a LOT of things there and the customer service has been OUTSTANDING for me recently. I do not have premium support with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

 

Have you had contact with them recently? The acquisition by Lyman has changed a LOT of things there and the customer service has been OUTSTANDING for me recently. I do not have premium support with them.

 

^^^This. So much has changed since they were sold to Lyman. Everything in a positive direction. Customer service alone is leaps and bounds better than when under previous management.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SSGJohnV said:

 

Have you had contact with them recently? The acquisition by Lyman has changed a LOT of things there and the customer service has been OUTSTANDING for me recently. I do not have premium support with them.


The last time I delt with anyone was last summer. If they’ve changed that’s great. Hopefully the next time I need help it’s not so disappointing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...