Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide stop shaft peening (Shadow 2)

Benevolence

Just wanted a sanity check that this is from too light of a recoil spring and the slide stop getting hit by the front of the barrel lug a bit too hard; correct? I put in a 10lb cgw recoil spring and just put in the 11lb as a result of seeing this (kept the one buffer in but may put an additional buffer???). I just got the gun and took it out Saturday and put a thousand rounds of wolf 115 WPA through it. Boy did that get filthy but I friggen love the thing!!! 

I have ‘dropped’ the slide on an empty chamber perhaps a dozen or two times, but I thought that would effect the other side? Either way maybe I shouldn’t do that.

12267ABB-91A2-4757-870F-12693176C241.jpeg

Edited by Benevolence

5 hours ago, GregJ said:

Yep, mine looks like that too.  Every year I drop a new one in for matches, and use the old one for practice.  They will break, so keeping a new one in is cheap insurance. 

This.

I don’t drop my slide on an empty chamber but def make a habit of keeping a spare. Doing what @GregJ suggests also has the advantage of the replacement being broken in and tested as opposed to doing this during the match. 

Take a Q-tip and liberally apply Amsoil Off Road grease inside the peanut lug on the barrel. Then apply a light coating on the slide stop shaft. It won’t eliminate the marks but will drastically reduce the wear. Amsoil polymeric grease resists “pound out” and impact forces more than most common greases. I use a 10# recoil spring and have 30,000+ rounds on my slide stop and it has far less wear than yours.

9 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

Take a Q-tip and liberally apply Amsoil Off Road grease inside the peanut lug on the barrel. Then apply a light coating on the slide stop shaft. It won’t eliminate the marks but will drastically reduce the wear.

"Peanut lug"?? Haven't heard of that one yet...

On January 22, 2020 at 10:17 PM, igolfat8 said:

Take a Q-tip and liberally apply Amsoil Off Road grease inside the peanut lug on the barrel. Then apply a light coating on the slide stop shaft. It won’t eliminate the marks but will drastically reduce the wear. Amsoil polymeric grease resists “pound out” and impact forces more than most common greases. I use a 10# recoil spring and have 30,000+ rounds on my slide stop and it has far less wear than yours.

^^This.  That grease is fantastic stuff.  I ride and race off road motorcycles,  the suspension linkage pivots take a beating.  After a season of use with this stuff the parts look like new.   WAY too thick for slide rails and other stuff though.  There are lighweight moly lubes that work great for that.