Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

seeing bullet bulge

doane

Loading some new Starline .40 brass with 165 gr Precision Delta bullets and seems like I can see the base outline of the bullet in nearly all of them. 

I googled this and it seems fairly common, but I don't care for the look.. so how can I avoid it in the future?? 

Y'all might wanna know that I'm using Lee 4 die set and applying a light roll crimp as the last step. Let me know what other info you need. 

4 minutes ago, MadBomber said:

What's the purpose of using a roll crimp on a .40?  Most people only use that crimp on revolvers.  I believe you should be using a taper crimp.

I wasn't happy with the taper crimp I was getting so have been using the factory crimp die that comes with the set. 

I did some google searches before roll crimping and it's hit or miss on who does or doesn't use it. 

If you don’t want the outline try different sizing dies.  I found the closest to specs is Mighty Armory, https://www.mightyarmory.com/collections/sizing-dies/products/mighty-armory-40sw-sizing-die-click-here, but non-undersized brass is more likely to have bullet set back after loading. 

I found Lee 40/10mm sized furthest down the cartridge, the Mr Bullet expander and the Dillon seating and taper crimp works best for me. 

I like the WASP waist look. 

Edited by HesedTech
Fixed typo.

18 hours ago, doane said:

I wasn't happy with the taper crimp I was getting so have been using the factory crimp die that comes with the set. 

I did some google searches before roll crimping and it's hit or miss on who does or doesn't use it. 

Hit or miss? I don't know anybody who roll crimps 40 or 9. You need a nice clean edge for the case to bottom out on when chambering. Just set taper crimp to remove flare, don't really crimp at all.

Cases that headspace on the case mouth have a light taper crimp for streamlined feeding. And how tightly the case grips the bullet holds it in place and keeps it from moving.

The more the case is fired and reloaded the harder the brass gets and it springs back more after sizing. And the is why many shooters use a Lee undersize die with range pickup brass. These undersized dies size the case .002 to .003 smaller in diameter to compensate for thin cases and brass spring back.

Meaning they will have more bullet grip and just use a taper crimp to slightly close up the case mouth for streamlined feeding.

Below a 9mm cartridge that is wasp waisted and has a very good grip on the bullet and will not allow it to move during feeding or under recoil.

MfcwIQB.jpg

Edited by bigedp51

1 hour ago, doane said:

Well, there's a few folks in that thread that use it..

That .40 die is not a roll crimp. It’s a taper crimp just like 9mm. I use an FCD in 9mm but only to crimp

Edited by Sarge

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That .40 die is not a roll crimp. It’s a taper crimp just like 9mm. I use an FCD in 9mm but only to crimp

I discovered that after I posted what I did above. 

No idea where I got in my head that it's a roll crimp die....still got lots to learn obviously. 

• 2 weeks later...

40SW/10mm Auto is a straight walled cartridge, it shouldn't look like a coke bottle. 9mmP is a tapered cartridge and should have a shape that can cause the bullet to slightly bulge uniformly. If your loaded 40SW ammo has bulges you may want to look at your setup or components. Assuming you don't have any obvious press setup problems you may want to mic your bullets; some companies sell oversized bullets (.401/2) that often don't work well with some sizing and expanding die combinations. 40SW should be one of the easiest cartridges to reload due to the straight wall and relatively small amount of cartridge variations in the market (almost all 40SW brass is the same, no crimps, steps, etc).

I measured one of the rounds. The smallest measurement I got is .417 near the middle of the case. The largest is .420 at the base of the bullet. A little light will show through the opening, when I hold a straight edge on the case, but it doesn't seem significant.

• 3 months later...

When I load 40, my final station is only taking out the bell from flaring, that’s it. The case wall when properly sized is enough to hold the bullet in place. Even setback isn’t an issue this way.