Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help explaining compensator (cone, barrel, slide)

Benevolence

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing a open 9mm major build and just wondering about some components and their respective fits. I'm familiar with the barrel-bushing-slide relationship for a typical 1911/2011 (I built a 40 limited gun) and I'm trying to understand which components go with what, and what the fitment process/relationship is for them. I understand that you need a tight bore fit for effective compensators, so the bushing styles simply won't work.

I'm interested in slide preparation for  tribrid/hybricomp barrels as well as understanding which barrel a cone compensator would go on (turns a threaded barrel into a bull barrel?). My goal is a flat shooting 9mm major gun and I think using some poppet holes with a compensator on the end would be the best way.

Thanks

Edited by Benevolence

Bull barrel is just that. A solid piece of metal. With a threaded muzzle similar to most ar15 or other 'sporting rifles'. The muzzle device is threaded and timed accordingly.

A cone barrel is ideally like a traditional bushing barrel. With threads cut along the outside diameter. A cone is threaded and soldered/chemically locked into place. A muzzle device can either be part of the cone or a different piece akin to how bull barrels and compensators work. Many people claim coned barrels are a few ounces lighter than bull barrels. If using a titanium compensator&cone piece, it can reduce the muzzle weight a bit.

Now.. those fancy island barrels and ribs.. I got no idea.. someone made a monstrosity and said it was a good thing. Have heard the slide is prone to cracking, spreading and otherwise illfit over long life with them. Never used one. Nor do I plan to.

From my understanding.. you measure the length of rib on that hybrid barrel.. use endmill and cut the top of slide to match. Then, fit the barrel like a traditional barrel. Make sure the front of slide is chamfered to fit the angle of cone at muzzle end on barrel. Provide enough clearance to fully seat in barrel saddle and ensure proper vis contact.

I am fully acknowledging that my comprehension is just evaluation by observing said 'hybrid barrel' design. Those things are junk by my opinion.

Poppels and such.. i hear help reduce muzzle rise but make more noise, reduce velocity(pf issues maybe with 9major) while giving a more hard/sharp impulse felt by hand. However, if your gun flips too much.. maybe the poppels help.

I opened a thread about compensators a while back. Good info there. Try finding it?

You can also achieve the same thing with a cone comp, and save 2+ oz. of reciprocating barrel weight in the process.  I've never heard of a cone comp coming loose.  With bull barrels the comps are always coming loose unless you have them pinned.  That is especially true if you are running  Ti comp.

You can put poppels in a cone.  Depending on the comp you choose, you may be able to put them in the comp instead of the barrel.  I've had both.  With the threaded bull barrel you could count on the comp coming loose at every monster match.  You are shooting so fast and so often the comp gets really hot and the Loctite lets go.  Not so with a cone comp.  The threads are back further and not in the high heat area.

Traditionally, I have seen older race guns with a full length guide rod that would prevent the comp from clocking or otherwise backing off.

Perhaps that is not true anymore.

I was also told by an old gunsmith that he had shooters that managed to loosen cones. So, he made it a standard to silver solder cones and comps inplace.