Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When did you decide it was time to move to Mark7/Ammobot?

Hey there,

i am seriously considering setting my 1050 up with either a Mark7 or Ammobot.  Both options come with big price tags.  

My question for the forum is what was the deciding factor for folks that got them stop pulling the handle?

• Did you reach a certain yearly round count? (if so, what was your number)
  • Was it more a time savings issue?
  • Did you just want the latest, coolest thing (we like guns, so I know everyone suffers from this :)
  • Physical - Medical issues that make pulling the handle problematic

I am currently shooting around 12K 9mm each year.  I can manually load 800 rounds/hour on my 1050 (have a MBF), so I am looking at about 15 hours of pulling the handle.  Its not bad to do, but I could probably cut that time in 1/2 with automating.

Thanks

Chris 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combo of being very lazy and wanting to spend less time in the reloading room and doing stuff I actually like.

Now I either am doing lubing brass, loading the RF100, rolling peoples brass (Service I offer locally), cleaning guns, or dry firing when the press is running.

I got my first Mark 7 autodrive (LTE before the LTE was called the LTE 😂) back when they first released and now have 3 1050 pro units. I was shooting about 20K a year when I first got it. Now I shoot over 50K a year.

Got serious last year and shoot  ~20,000 per year and did I mention my wife shoots as well?  That's a LOT of pulling the handle...On a 650.  Thought about going to a 1050+Mark7 but figured I'd go wholehog and get a Revo.  Buy once cry once thing.

Just have to go pick it up in a few months on a trip down to the US to shoot a match/sightseeing.  Saving a small fortune in shipping and I can keep pulling the handle until then.  Odd thing is I'm picking it up at a PO box in the Falls even though the match I'm going to is like 35 minutes from DAA -to save  $750 in PA state tax were I to pick up my order.  Rules are rules I guess, shipping is only $150 to NY.

4 hours ago, Chris777 said:

I can manually load 800 rounds/hour on my 1050 (have a MBF), so I am looking at about 15 hours of pulling the handle. 

This seems low. I can exceed this on my 650 w/ MBF and I'm not pushing for speed. 

I'm trying something new this year. Reloading in the winter for my entire year's worth of ammo need. Reloading 20k has been not super awesome. If I were to exceed this volume and do it again next winter, I'd be looking at a bigger press/automation.

4 hours ago, TrackCage said:

This seems low. I can exceed this on my 650 w/ MBF and I'm not pushing for speed. 

I'm trying something new this year. Reloading in the winter for my entire year's worth of ammo need. Reloading 20k has been not super awesome. If I were to exceed this volume and do it again next winter, I'd be looking at a bigger press/automation.

I was using 800 rounds/hour to be conservative.  I can get it closer to 1K / hour, but I am spent after that..  800 rounds/hour is a nice easy pace.

@slavex

I lube my brass for all of this even after roll sizing. It avoids stoppages. Most of the time I could run pistol on a setting of 0, but Ill get the random stoppage.

I process pistol at 3500, If I ran slower I think I would see less stoppages with a clutch of 0.

When processing pistol brass (Clutch setting of like 2-3), 223 (6-7), 300 blackout (2-3), and converting 223 into 300 (13-14).

A number of issues, my right elbow was starting to ache after a reloading session, I was moving from 45ACP on my LNL to shoot a lot more 9mm (SS initially, then CO and PCC), wanted to be able to quickly change calibers. As a side benefit, Mark/Immortobot lives 20 min from me, so I know not only could I get a killer price on a full auto rig (S1050 with Rev 2 AB), but I would also get great support.

I bought one mostly because I thought they were cool. Loaded up 1.5 years of ammo over the winter and then it sat for while. ended up selling the auto drive for 80% to fund something else. 

@Maximis228 I was surprised to not need lube on my 9mm cases, and I process at either 3500 or 2400 depending on which machine is being used. Haven't hit a stoppage yet, but my brass is usually once fired from my indoor range, or the same brass after a couple firings by me. I don't tend to process unknown brass very much anymore so I would expect that I'd run into issues if I did. 

7 minutes ago, slavex said:

@Maximis228 I was surprised to not need lube on my 9mm cases, and I process at either 3500 or 2400 depending on which machine is being used. Haven't hit a stoppage yet, but my brass is usually once fired from my indoor range, or the same brass after a couple firings by me. I don't tend to process unknown brass very much anymore so I would expect that I'd run into issues if I did. 

Im mostly reloading a mix of everything from once fired minor stuff to mutli fired 9 major.

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I am also thinking about automating a 1050 with a mark7 auto drive. Are there any vids out there on hooking up all the sensors once you get the drive. Just wanting to see how difficult it is to get it up and running. 

Didn’t take me more than an hour to get up and running. Everything is pretty straight forward. All the sensors come with directions. 

17 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Didn’t take me more than an hour to get up and running. Everything is pretty straight forward. All the sensors come with directions. 

Cool thanks. Only found 2 vids on YouTube bullet and swag sense. Which sensors did you go with or are all necessary 

IMO... Decapping, Primer, and Bullet sense is all I run. I dont find the swage to be worth it as I dont have the issues with the decapping some do with an obstructed sensor due to dust build up (Original version issue). (All you do is hit the sensor with some compressed air for a fraction of a second if it does happen)

Personally I’ve had nothing but issues with the decap sensor. 1-2 false positives per 100 is tedious. Eventually I just turned it off and rely upon the swage sensor. 

the bullet sensor and swage sensor are what I usually have on. I have the decap and low primer sensors that I usually don’t have activated. 

I am a completely gadget nerd.  I started reloading on a 650 three years ago, added a bullet feeder and other press upgrades.  That wasn't enough, so, I ordered an RL1100, an Ammobot, a Mr Bulletfeeder Pro, all of the sensors, case extractor, etc.  I also bought a commercial Rollsizer and a Hasgrok Feedinator.....  I am not sure where this will stop. 

I made the choice not long ago because I just wore out my 650.  20-40k/year since 2004 and it's just breaking down all the time.  Dillon wants it back to rebuild it, but I need to be loading like crazy right now for this year.  38SC is .40/round to buy.  I'll cover the cost of a Revolution in the first season. 

I've been running a 1050 with an Ammobot Rev 3 for several years. It was the best decision that I've made. IMO it is the most cost effective and feature rich automation for the 1050/1100. Customer service is excellent, and it works as designed.

I've heard that Ammobot is coming out with a primer feeder.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk