Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first limited major gun...

Eli_a

Got my first limited major gun yesterday, CZ TSO 40

Been shooting USPSA for a year and mostly carry optics.
Shot a few matches in limited minor when waiting on red dot to be replaced and had a blast so I decided to shoot more limited this year.

Im a big CZ fan but did a lot of research on different limited guns and honestly found the TSO to be the best all around gun (in my rookie opinion) as far as price, mag prices, and reported reliability.
Shot a friends TSO and really liked it so decided to get one. I don’t usually customize a lot things but the thumb rest might be the one thing I swap out since it’s a little small for my gorilla thumb. 

CZC base pads and a holster and I’ll be gtg.  

F74D3374-1DC6-4C31-97EE-B868EBD21BE6.jpeg

I’m in the same boat, as are many others, with regard to the thumb test. I took it off for now and shoot the gun WAY better without it. It was more of hinderance than a help. Haven’t changed a thing yet.

I did I do a number on the magwell with the dremel. The magwell was 100% unblended from the factory.

These are the two aftermarket thumb rests that I have seen suggest.

Haven’t tried them yet. I may, just enjoying the gun for the time being.

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=IATR-TF-&ipsc-alex-thumb-rest-for-tanfoglio/eaa-pistols

http://www.fire-4-effect.com/F4E-ENHANCED-THUMBREST-FOR-CZ-TAC-SPORT_p_272.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fa17f2519d898a592a48c9824ef34439.jpg

10 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I’m in the same boat, as are many others, with regard to the thumb test. I took it off for now and shoot the gun WAY better without it. It was more of hinderance than a help. Haven’t changed a thing yet.

I did I do a number on the magwell with the dremel. The magwell was 100% unblended from the factory.

These are the two aftermarket thumb rests that I have seen suggest.

Haven’t tried them yet. I may, just enjoying the gun for the time being.

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=IATR-TF-&ipsc-alex-thumb-rest-for-tanfoglio/eaa-pistols

http://www.fire-4-effect.com/F4E-ENHANCED-THUMBREST-FOR-CZ-TAC-SPORT_p_272.html

fa17f2519d898a592a48c9824ef34439.jpg

I thought about taking it off too. Might shoot a match with it first and see if anything changes. 
I thought I’d want to change the grips to a lok grips but I honestly don’t mind the stock ones.

I got a 9mm TSO which I use for 2 gun and I blended the magwell. I’m also using the IPSC Alex thumb rest along with a shooters connection racker.

Just go slow and be patient when using a dremel to blend the magwell.

DB406-F26-043-B-4745-BBF0-C44-F66558-F67

8406-DDEA-3-E52-4862-89-FC-D6-B3-FFF8-E6

I got a 9mm TSO which I use for 2 gun and I blended the magwell. I’m also using the IPSC Alex thumb rest along with a shooters connection racker.
Just go slow and be patient when using a dremel to blend the magwell.

DB406-F26-043-B-4745-BBF0-C44-F66558-F67.jpg

8406-DDEA-3-E52-4862-89-FC-D6-B3-FFF8-E6-B5.jpg

Looks way prettier than mine. How long did that take you. And what did you use? Might try and gussy mine up at some point. Mine works great now, but yours looks way better.

I had an issue getting it blended in the back corners due. You must have taken a lot of material out in those back corners to get it flush?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Looks way prettier than mine. How long did that take you. And what did you use? Might try and gussy mine up at some point. Mine works great now, but yours looks way better.

I had an issue getting it blended in the back corners due. You must have taken a lot of material out in those back corners to get it flush?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Yes, I removed quite some material on the back. I used a permanent marker to mark the areas that needs to be removed being taking the magwell off of the gun. I started with a 240 grit sanding drum then progressed down to 320, 240, 600. I had to install/reinstall it multiple times to makes sure I wasn’t taking too much material and to ensure it’s blended well. Once I was satisfied with it, I polished it with the blue polishing compound in the pic and finished it off with mother’s mag polish.

Reloads are a lot smoother after the magwell was blended.  

Congrats on the purchase OP!  For the money, the TSO is one of the best (THE best? now that there are no more Edge's...) limited rigs available.  No pistol modifications needed, just grab some basepads/springs so that you can load at least 20 in the mag and you're set to start shooting limited and with a very competitive pistol. 

I ran a TSO (both 9mm and .40) in limited for several years and loved the fact that the gun just flat out 'runs'!  I didn't have to tune mags, tweak extractors or change springs to make the pistol work.  Not to say that people don't do these things, just that they are not 100% required.  I wanted to change things up last year, so shot 2011s in Limited all season.  This provided me with a good overall perspective on the 2 most popular design platforms (there are some striker guns, but most folks either run a 2011 based or CZ based [to include Tanfo and other clones] shooting platform) in USPSA Limited division.

If you catch the 'mod' bug there's lots of folks here that can provide a wealth of experience and opinions on what works and doesn't.  In closing, shoot that thing and have fun doing it.

Got my first limited major gun yesterday, CZ TSO 40

Been shooting USPSA for a year and mostly carry optics.

Shot a few matches in limited minor when waiting on red dot to be replaced and had a blast so I decided to shoot more limited this year.

Im a big CZ fan but did a lot of research on different limited guns and honestly found the TSO to be the best all around gun (in my rookie opinion) as far as price, mag prices, and reported reliability.

Shot a friends TSO and really liked it so decided to get one. I don’t usually customize a lot things but the thumb rest might be the one thing I swap out since it’s a little small for my gorilla thumb. 

CZC base pads and a holster and I’ll be gtg.  

F74D3374-1DC6-4C31-97EE-B868EBD21BE6.thumb.jpeg.b8c971187fee94eda036d180a945fb9e.jpeg

Congrats on the purchase.

If you would like to get a Red Hill Tactical holster you can use coupon “Charris” to save some money.

14 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Congrats on the purchase OP!  For the money, the TSO is one of the best (THE best? now that there are no more Edge's...) limited rigs available.  No pistol modifications needed, just grab some basepads/springs so that you can load at least 20 in the mag and you're set to start shooting limited and with a very competitive pistol. 

I ran a TSO (both 9mm and .40) in limited for several years and loved the fact that the gun just flat out 'runs'!  I didn't have to tune mags, tweak extractors or change springs to make the pistol work.  Not to say that people don't do these things, just that they are not 100% required.  I wanted to change things up last year, so shot 2011s in Limited all season.  This provided me with a good overall perspective on the 2 most popular design platforms (there are some striker guns, but most folks either run a 2011 based or CZ based [to include Tanfo and other clones] shooting platform) in USPSA Limited division.

If you catch the 'mod' bug there's lots of folks here that can provide a wealth of experience and opinions on what works and doesn't.  In closing, shoot that thing and have fun doing it.

Thank you! I’m pretty excited about it. I enjoy shooting CO other than the occasional red dot breaking mid match, but I guess that’s just something CO has to deal with now. 
what 2011 are you shooting now? There was an edge available in my area for a little more than my TSO but decided on the Cz for the simple fact of cheaper mags and no tuning needed 

5 hours ago, Eli_a said:

what 2011 are you shooting now? There was an edge available in my area for a little more than my TSO but decided on the Cz for the simple fact of cheaper mags and no tuning needed 

I shot STIs (Edge and DVC) this past season, however I was using 'tuned' mags.  STI has since discontinued the 'Edge' line of pistols, which started at <$2000/new.  New the cheapest 2011 for limited that STI offers is somewhere around $2500-2800.

The TSO is a great pistol.  It could easily take you to M-class with no modifications, provided you do your part.

Congratz on the purchase! I recently got one myself and my only issue was a weak factory extractor spring right out of the box. If you are ordering from czc site might want to add 2 or 3 springs in case you get extraction issues. 

On 1/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, muncie21 said:

I shot STIs (Edge and DVC) this past season, however I was using 'tuned' mags.  STI has since discontinued the 'Edge' line of pistols, which started at <$2000/new.  New the cheapest 2011 for limited that STI offers is somewhere around $2500-2800.

The TSO is a great pistol.  It could easily take you to M-class with no modifications, provided you do your part.

I have no doubt that it’ll be a very long time before the TSO is slowing me down lol

53 minutes ago, Lowsc3 said:

Congratz on the purchase! I recently got one myself and my only issue was a weak factory extractor spring right out of the box. If you are ordering from czc site might want to add 2 or 3 springs in case you get extraction issues. 

I’ve heard that from a few buddies. I’m bout to order some base pads so I’m gonna add some of that too. Been doing a lot of research on load data and other TSO related things and that has come up a few times too

I’ve heard that from a few buddies. I’m bout to order some base pads so I’m gonna add some of that too. Been doing a lot of research on load data and other TSO related things and that has come up a few times too

Just ran some across the Chrono a couple weeks ago in a TSO.

The Blue Bullets 180grn 1.180 OAL
4.4 grns VV N320
165 PF

I increased the load to 4.5grns but haven’t had a chance to Chrono it yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 12:10 AM, See_Archie_Shoot said:

Just ran some across the Chrono a couple weeks ago in a TSO.

The Blue Bullets 180grn 1.180 OAL
4.4 grns VV N320
165 PF

I increased the load to 4.5grns but haven’t had a chance to Chrono it yet.

I got some blue bullets 180gr over 4.2 titegroup at 1.13 oal. Don’t have a chrono but hopefully my buddy comes out this weekend. Talked to a two local TSO owners that use the same load data and get 170pf