Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 new classifiers

Heliarclee

I think they were fun to shoot and a better test of actual match skills than some of the older stages. 

When they were first announced, they were listed in the USPSA app, but the links didn't work. 

Glad that they fixed that between yesterday and today, but the images available in the app appear to be draft versions (missing some of the distances, markup lines extending longer than the PDF version, etc).

PDF version:

image.thumb.png.09f0e2a0ce62859d0f73869c0e9030da.png

App version:

image.thumb.png.b9a7cb247916cc6a24c965a07d4cc430.png

I believe these are a step in the right direction. They are really just small field courses, and as such, better represent the required skills of a real match. I hope more come soon.

Having said that, the actual drawings  and construction notes leave a bit to be desired. The issues are somewhat minor but as an example in 19-02 it says "NS are 'point to point' at the A zone letter." What exactly does point to point mean? If you line up some of the corners (points?) of the IPSC targets, the A zone perf marking is completely covered and then some. The 18-XX classifiers did a great job as showing exactly how to create partials both with hard cover and no-shoots. I Miss That Kind Of Clarity (aka 18-09). Sorry, i couldn't resist!

But, thank you for the new classifers, USPSA! 

I like these and agree that they are more of what I would like to see classifiers become. That said, I can see 19-01 and 19-02 shot a lot more just based on ease of setup. We see this a lot of past classifiers already. Everyone sets up the easy ones.

I only had one from Prod Nats that counted for me when I looked yesterday. 19-01 for 83.3%.

19-02 I was 61.5%

19-03 I was 69.8%

19-04 I was 76.6%

I really only remember shooting -04 and only remember people shooting it 2 ways.

The walls get shot a lot in 19-04.

Also IIRC length of the start mark/stick is pretty important (at least we all started as far to one end as the RO would let us at at least one Nats) and mentioned nowhere in the web copy.

6 hours ago, shred said:

The walls get shot a lot in 19-04.

Also IIRC length of the start mark/stick is pretty important (at least we all started as far to one end as the RO would let us at at least one Nats) and mentioned nowhere in the web copy.

I could see that happening.  I’ve only seen the drawings, but it looks like the location of that middle target between the two walls would lead to walls getting shot up.   

IMO 19-04 is a lot more work that most months match MD’s are gonna want to do. 

the walls on 19-02 look like they’re not going to be easy to get right every time. 

I’m starting to think the stand and shoot are better. Just make new ones. 

Matches sort it all out anyways. 

On 1/23/2020 at 4:10 PM, B_RAD said:

IMO 19-04 is a lot more work that most months match MD’s are gonna want to do. 

the walls on 19-02 look like they’re not going to be easy to get right every time. 

I’m starting to think the stand and shoot are better. Just make new ones. 

Matches sort it all out anyways. 

I think your right on 19-04

19-02 I dont think will be a big deal as the only thing the walls do is stop a 180 violation on the right and left targets.  So as long as they are set to run up-range along the fault line it wont mater.  The start position is heels touching real fault line Im guessing the way to shoot it is left and right front target then hall ass up front.

12 hours ago, rustychev said:

I think your right on 19-04

19-02 I dont think will be a big deal as the only thing the walls do is stop a 180 violation on the right and left targets.  So as long as they are set to run up-range along the fault line it wont mater.  The start position is heels touching real fault line Im guessing the way to shoot it is left and right front target then hall ass up front.

I agree but I still thinks it’s possible that if they’re put up in a certain way, it could be possible to engage the back targets earlier/later. That would be an advantage/disadvantage. 

We shot 19-01 yesterday and the MD told me it was difficult to get the angles correct. He’s a very qualified MD. 19-01 has just one wall and it’s difficult. He took the time. I hate to say it, but most MD’s won’t. Not only that, they may not even be setting it up. A lot have helpers doing it. 

On another note, I shot 19-01 at Nats with a 95% run. Yesterday I shot it at around 110% yesterday. I was overly cautious at Nats. So, it’s not gonna be long before the  new ones, that are easier to set up, will get inflated from being shot a lot at monthly matches and are just as high/hard. Then, we’re right back to seeing easier to set up old ones at every monthly. 

I’m kinda thinking the new classifiers are going to have the opposite affect. They’re easier since the HHF were set from Nats. People are going to shoot them and get higher % and get bumped. Then they’ll get updated and they’ll be higher and nobody will set them up unless they’re easier to set up. 

1 hour ago, shred said:

I think the drawing on 19-02 has some goofy perspective thing going on.  I thought the walls ran right along the fault lines at Nationals.

Correct. 

From the written description of the classifier: 

"Uprange walls placed right against faultline."

On 1/22/2020 at 6:02 PM, TrackCage said:

I like these and agree that they are more of what I would like to see classifiers become. That said, I can see 19-01 and 19-02 shot a lot more just based on ease of setup. We see this a lot of past classifiers already. Everyone sets up the easy ones.

Planned to shoot 19-02 at last Sundays monthly match...  It was too wide for our narrow bays...  Would have shoot throughs to our walls...  Shot 19-01 instead...  Shoot then run or shoot on the move...  Fun classifier.

• 3 weeks later...

Two of my local clubs used 19-02 at their most recent matches and a third is doing a classifier match with all four of the '19 series classifiers plus four others. The new ones definitely seem more burdensome to setup than most of the older classifiers, mainly just because you need walls of very specific dimensions. I suspect clubs will either choose not to set them up or the setup will be inconsistent between clubs. 

• 1 month later...

I like the new classifiers...we shot all four of the new ones plus two others last weekend at our local club.  Ran a little short of making Master....about 20 % short...but had a good time.

• 5 months later...
On 9/8/2020 at 6:17 AM, alien_pickles said:

All of the clubs in my area have been running 19-04 recently. It's a solid stage. I'm concerned the ones coming out of 2020 nationals are looking very similar to this one and 19-01

Any video links to the potential classifiers from 2020 nationals? 

• 1 year later...